PDA

View Full Version : iL2 Sturmovik

Admir91
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
iL2 Sturmovik I've seen some youtube videos and the game looks pretty cool. I couldn't find the game at the best buy website so I was wondering if this game is one of those where you download it and pay monthly fees?

Another question is, does this game have single player?

Inadaze
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Admir, the version you want is IL2-1946 (It has all the addons that have been released merged into one game).
Yes it does have single player both missions and campaigns (and you can download lots of very well made user created campaigns).

You either buy the DVD or depending where you live get a downloaded version from steam the UBI digital store http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=15320&cc=US

http://digitalstore.ubi.com/3021/product/Buy-IL-2-Sturmovik:-1946-Download

The game doesn't have monthly fees to play online.

TinyTim
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Admir91, wellcome to the forum.

1. Make sure you get whole package, IL2 1946, version 4.07. Can't recommend where.
2. No, there are no fees for online play, it's absolutely free. There is a huge amount of servers with all kinds of different settings and play modes (death match, cooperative,....) to choose from, you will surely find one that suits you. In order to play online, I'd recommend downloading and installing hyperlobby client (http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2&orderby=dateA). There are few hundred up to more than thousand players on it at evenings and weekends.
3. Yes, this game is extensive in single player. Huge community contributes skins/campaigns/missions etc. on a daily basis

Bottom line: Go get it, you won't be dissapointed.

Bearcat99
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Get the disk if you can. This sim is decent online and offline. There are no fees, except for the ones you will wind up paying once the upgrade bug hits you (video, ram etc..).

It is a rather system intensive sim, if you hit the Essentials thread in my sig below and then at the topof that thread you will see a link called Why buy IL2 1946.. Hit that and you will get a pretty good rundown of whats what.

Admir91
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Get the disk if you can. This sim is decent online and offline. There are no fees, except for the ones you will wind up paying once the upgrade bug hits you (video, ram etc..).

WHats this bug do? O.o

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Admir91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

WHats this bug do? O.o </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He means that once you get addicted to this game you will want to upgrade your pc to get more out of it, we've all suffered from this "bug", lol.

Chris0382
09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
He is saying this game is addicting.

It can be bought at CC, Bestbuy, or Walmart if they have it in stock, I got mine at CC.

Stingray333
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
If you can't find the 1946 DVD locally in a store, order it online.. I think amazon.com has it, plenty of others I think.

Be aware that you will need a joystick, and that joystick should have a twist-rudder axis. Playing this game with the keyboard is simply not an option,

Stingray

Stingray333
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Admir91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

WHats this bug do? O.o </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He means that once you get addicted to this game you will want to upgrade your pc to get more out of it, we've all suffered from this "bug", lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not just the PC hardware... but also the controller hardware: track IR, rudder pedals, throttle, stick, throttle quadrant, sim pit, control boxes.... good times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stingray

Admir91
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Lol, well I have the joystick with the rudder twist..and I think I don't need the track IR thingy :P since using the mouse to view things around you is easy for me. I've been playing Battleground Europe and mostly played in the Airforce branch. That game is pretty realistic as well and I managed to be pretty good at it with just my joystick. I've came to this game because I've seen videos on youtube and people who fly in battleground europe usually talk about this game. So might as well try it.

Here is a video of the airforce branch of the game. You can also play inf,navy as axis or british/french. That is why I like that game for the all around fighting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7icFW0h9Jw

Stingray333
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Admir91:
Lol, well I have the joystick with the rudder twist..and I think I don't need the track IR thingy :P since using the mouse to view things around you is easy for me. I've been playing Battleground Europe and mostly played in the Airforce branch. That game is pretty realistic as well and I managed to be pretty good at it with just my joystick. I've came to this game because I've seen videos on youtube and people who fly in battleground europe usually talk about this game. So might as well try it.

Here is a video of the airforce branch of the game. You can also play inf,navy as axis or british/french. That is why I like that game for the all around fighting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7icFW0h9Jw

Looks pretty rad, I've kinda wanted to give that game a try for a while

Uufflakke
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Welcome Admir91! Be prepared what is going to happen after your IL2 1946 purchase. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In my case this is what happened: I am not a gamer at all but the only kind of game I liked where WWII games, to be more specific WWII aircraftgames. Therefor I bought CSF2 and CSF3 but after reading a small article in a newspaper I decided to buy IL2 1946. Liked the game very much untill I watched some YouTube vids. I upgraded my PC (more RAM and better videocard) and really wanted a headtracking system. Downloaded several mods too and now I am thinking of buying a set of rudderpedals.
It looks like a neverending story...

Before you know it you spend more time with this sim especially when you go online.

And I can assure you I'm not the only one who dealt with this.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Stingray333:
If you can't find the 1946 DVD locally in a store, order it online.. I think amazon.com has it, plenty of others I think.

Be aware that you will need a joystick, and that joystick should have a twist-rudder axis. Playing this game with the keyboard is simply not an option,

Stingray

If you get the DVD the US version is better.

Non-US DVDs have securerom which can create havoc on some setups and takes a root kit to remove.

Stingray333
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Uufflakke:
Welcome Admir91! Be prepared what is going to happen after your IL2 1946 purchase. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In my case this is what happened: I am not a gamer at all but the only kind of game I liked where WWII games, to be more specific WWII aircraftgames. Therefor I bought CSF2 and CSF3 but after reading a small article in a newspaper I decided to buy IL2 1946. Liked the game very much untill I watched some YouTube vids. I upgraded my PC (more RAM and better videocard) and really wanted a headtracking system. Downloaded several mods too and now I am thinking of buying a set of rudderpedals.
It looks like a neverending story...

Before you know it you spend more time with this sim especially when you go online.

And I can assure you I'm not the only one who dealt with this.

I am curious, what newspaper article? Also, buy rudder pedals, you won't regret it!!

Stingray333
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stingray333:

Stingray

If you get the DVD the US version is better.

Non-US DVDs have securerom which can create havoc on some setups and takes a root kit to remove. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good point. On a similar sort of issue, I am curious, do you know if the version on Steam is alright? I've gotten a few games on Steam and the experience I've had with it is nothing but positive with it, but people seem to recommend the 1946 DVD versus steam

Stingray

Uufflakke
09-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Stingray333:

I am curious, what newspaper article? Also, buy rudder pedals, you won't regret it!!

I read something about it in a Dutch newspaper at the time of release of 1946. Once or twice a week they have some reviews about games and other PC items. They were very positive about this game and the fact that you could fly around in more than 220 different planes (for example the Ju-87) made me decide to buy IL2.
But the strange thing is that even after the 1946 release it was still hard to get. And when I asked for it in some shops people who worked there never heard of IL2 but they all know CFS2 or 3.

I will buy rudderpedals for sure but still haven't figured out which one. Saitek is somewhat cheaper and looks much better than those dull grey CH Pro. But the quality of CH Pro seems to be better and they last longer as far as I can remember from a thread about rudderpedals which had a lot of reactions from CH Pro lovers and Saitek fans.

Treetop64
09-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Welcome abaord, Admir91! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

A large protion of this community have been using this sim now, in one form or another, for several years. IL-2 has been around since 2001 (I still have my original copy of the first IL-2 installed!) We are always happy to help with any questions you might have so don't hesitate to ask.

Some things to keep in mind about the sim, though: it is not an easy game. 1946 isn't one of those games that you can just pick up and play and have it mastered in a matter of a couple of hours. It just may take you years to really get the hang of it, and that's no exaggeration.

The aircraft flight modelling is of a very high fidelity. Depending on what you choose to fly, as a novice you can expect to stall, spin, crash, get shot down, or otherwise write off your machine on a frequent basis. It will happen. We've all gone through it. But stick with it, learn from your mistakes, improve your habits and techniques, stick with a particular brand of aircraft (inevitibly, one will naturally grow on you) and your game will improve.

One thing you will definitely want to keep in mind in regards to the many flyable aircraft is that they all fly differently. They each require their own flying technique to be successful. For example, some types are built to perform at their best in sharp turns and violent maneuvers, using these tactics to muscle it's way onto an opponent's six. Others are in their element maintaining the highest possible speeds using relatively large, sweeping turns, employing tactics that involve a lot of planning and positioning, and eventually scything through enemy formations using very fast dives and following up with zoom-climbs. Depending on which types of aircraft you choose to fly, it would be wise to employ tactics suited to your chosen aircraft. Don't worry though as all of the subtleties and details concerning this will come to you in time.

As Bearcat mentioned earlier, there are tons of third party support for this sim. Sorting through all of it for the first time can be overwheming, and a bit itimidating. Again, don't worry; you'll sort it all out in time.

I'm almost exclusively an offliner (this sim is equally robust in offline single player, as well as online multiplayer) and some of my personal favorite enhancements include:

> Lowengrin's DCG (Dynamic Campaign Generator) - A true dynamic campaign generator for IL-2. Highly refined over the years (it's gone through many revisions, the latest version 3.39 was just released earlier this week). There are numerous setup and campaign options available. For a free third party product developed by essentially one guy, this is one friggin' sophisticated piece of scripting!

> EnjoyR's DGen - A whole series of much improved and enhanced semi-dynamic campaigns using an updated version of the game's default campaign generator.

> Mat Manager - A much more exaustive, accurate, and vastly better looking decal and marking applicator for the models in the game.

> Mission Mate - Again, a much more exaustive and complex quick mission generator than that of the game's default quick mission generator - which itself is good because of its simplicity and ease of use, BTW.

> And, of course, the nearly countless excellent community developed static campaings.

There's a lot to enjoy with this sim, and I truly believe that you may just not ever have enough time to enjoy all this sim and this community has to offer.

Again, welcome abaord!

DaddyAck
09-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Welcome,

YES, emhatically... Download IL21946 from UBI then get your tail on hyperlobby. I came from AHII and to compare that to this is apples and oranges. Once this sim bites you you are hooked. There is such a greater detail in this sim compared to my old AHII that....

Well, I really can not add much more at all to what the others have said. Again Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing you on HL.

Admir91
09-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Lol don't worry treetop. I've played a game very similar to this a while ago. I'm not sure about this game but in the game I played..you can get shot in the arms/legs/head that affect your flying ability. You can get shot in the tail wings and that can affect your turning and things. I've gone through the tough time of learning how to fly, but now I get the hang of it. And IL2 may be a bit more challenging to learn but I think I will get the basics down quick.

Admir91
09-12-2008, 06:08 PM
So I went to best buy to help my bro get his new tv and I went to see if they had the game. I looked twice on the shelves and they did not have it. You think gamestop has it. I don't buy stuff online so don't metion amazon or anything :P

M_Gunz
09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
If you're worried about your bank numbers online then there's multiple solutions to that.

1) Gift Cards they sell in malls can be used like debit cards because that's what they are.

2) Call the dealer direct and give them the same info you would to a store anyway, your info
is safe from the web.

3) You can order it at Walmart with free shipping to the store where you pick it up. (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5651677)
Just because you don't see it on the shelf don't mean you can't get it there.

And whatever sim you're used to flying, you will probably have to unlearn many bad habits.
The up side is that many of the players online haven't and probably never will.