PDA

View Full Version : gear flopping down when hit now?

GAU-8
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
has anyone one else seen undercarraige hanging now when hydrau's take a hit?

ive seen it twice on WC server now on 109s that i hit, .. or is it the off chance that 2 persons lowered gear by accident when i attacked? (fumbling?)

if landing gear drop is now in game....cool..thx oleg!

if not... may i request ALL luftwaffe pilots drop their gear when i attack them so as to simulate this from now on... i really like it, and it wont include much more effort from you allready :P

F0_Dark_P
12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
i think he did it deliberately so you would overshoot him, but it would be a realy cool thing if you could loose hydraulic fluid so the gears etc would go down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

GAU-8
12-05-2004, 08:10 PM
i thought the same as well, but i rarely see gear droppage for that..let alone 2 different players, BUT it could have been a coincidence.... one attack was from direct underneath, and the other was strait 6 shooting, and POOP... down they went.

VW-IceFire
12-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Haven't seen it...I've been dropping gear to try and throw people off recently. Once the speed drops, drop the gear and try and force an overshoot.

JR_Greenhorn
12-05-2004, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAU-8:

if landing gear drop is now in game....cool..thx oleg! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The gear dropping due to damage has been known to happen occasionally, but rarely. I've had it happen to me a time or two offline, and I think I've even seen it happen to an AI plane once. I think it is an intentional feature and has been there for a while, but I don't know for sure.

When it does happen, there is no message or anything--the gear just drop and no longer work.

Its hard to say what caused it when you see it happen, but its happened to me when I my hand was nowhere near the keyboard, and when I saw it happen to AI there was no reason for him to drop his gear. AI doesn't bump keyboard either.

WTE_Galway
12-05-2004, 09:21 PM
on the few RG real time aircraft I have had anything to do with hydraulic failure means the gear is stuck in its last position and needs to be manually raised or lowered

rationally it would be quite counterproductive to have gear that needs continuos hydraulic pressure to stay raised

furthermore if this was truly the case simply turning off the engine in flight should result in the gear lowering

JR_Greenhorn
12-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Good point, Galway.
Still, no matter what is actually being damaged in the DM, something causes gear to drop from damage. There is not an on screen message like when the various controls are damaged.

Perhaps it is representatory of some structral failure in the gear itself, such as the locking mechanism or the hydraulic cylider itself. I would think either of those would have the effect of the gear falling. I mean, no matter what the gear design is, if enough components are damaged severly enough, it becomes possible for the gear to drop.

All I know for sure is that I've had my gear drop when taking significant damage. No message appeared and I didn't bump the key. Also, the gear do not function anymore. I don't think I've ever made it to the ground in this condition to see if they are locked down.
That's all I know, but it's from memory.

I know others here have reported similar things from time to time. There is a thread about it every now and then.

F0_Dark_P
12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
never imagine that it could be a bug? then http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

JR_Greenhorn
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F0_Dark_P:
never imagine that it could be a bug? then http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It could very well be. I guess it just depends on whether you like to look for the positive side of things or the negative.

Bug or undocmunted feature? Who's to say for sure?

My stance is obvious.
Normally, the gear thing is so rare and has so little an effect on things that it doesn't really matter if it is a bug, does it?

I get a CTD when I try to load certain maps in the FMB. Is that a bug?

Korolov
12-06-2004, 12:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
on the few RG real time aircraft I have had anything to do with hydraulic failure means the gear is stuck in its last position and needs to be manually raised or lowered

rationally it would be quite counterproductive to have gear that needs continuos hydraulic pressure to stay raised

furthermore if this was truly the case simply turning off the engine in flight should result in the gear lowering <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it also possible for battle damage to reverse the flow of the hydraulic pressure?

GAU-8
12-06-2004, 12:20 AM
well i dont want people to start going into fluid dynamics or what other "mathamagician" stuff is in the works, i just want to confirm if others have seen this lately since the newest patch. witnessing twice in under an hour by 2 different players, i cant say it wont ever happen again, but its soo rare (for me) to see this happen nowadays

triggerhappyfin
12-06-2004, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAU-8:

ive seen it twice on WC server now on 109s that i hit, .. or is it the off chance that person lowered gear by accident when i attacked? (fumbling?)

if landing gear drop is now in game....cool..thx oleg!

if not... may i request ALL luftwaffe pilots drop their gear when i attack them so as to simulate this from now on... i really like it, and it wont include much more effort from you allready :P <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I´ve seen it too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I think it´s really nice and never saw it before 3.02 patch(on axis planes - that is).

Otherwise I´m with u on the second part but I also want u all to fly in a steady path, don´t avoid my bullets.

No evasives pls http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Korolov
12-06-2004, 01:41 AM
The only thing I've noticed is gear hydraulic failures, requiring manual action to lower or raise gear.

I haven't seen gear come down due to damage yet.

Hans_Philipp
12-06-2004, 02:09 AM
ahhhh...Still dreaming for those a/c damage model diagrams...

Tully__
12-06-2004, 03:44 AM
Gear dropping with damage was quite common in one of the early IL2 Sturmovik versions, but somewhere along the way it's mostly dispappeared.

GAU-8
12-06-2004, 03:57 AM
really tully?

i never saw it before...

always something new to this game..

well if its in, not in, oleg, and his crew..deserve many thanks for keeping this simmer highly entertained with new found items http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nutz1944
12-06-2004, 04:26 AM
The Me-109 has no uplock in its LG system. Therefore if the hydraulic pressure fails for. any reason the LG automatically come down because of gravity. There are numerous gun-camera shots of this phenomenon.

Vengeanze
12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Read a post about this a long time ago. It was an implemented feature.
Never seen it myself though.

Kasdeya
12-06-2004, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nutz1944:
The Me-109 has no uplock in its LG system. Therefore if the hydraulic pressure fails for. any reason the LG automatically come down because of gravity. There are numerous gun-camera shots of this phenomenon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I have seen this in Guncam footage and also ingame. doesnt happen often but has happened to me, or by me. On IL-2's 109's and yaks, or laggs, can't remember which.

SeaFireLIV
12-06-2004, 08:17 AM
I`ve seen gears drop in actual guncam footage while aircraft is under attack and I really don`t think he`s doing it to try and majke the other guy overshoot. Dropping gears is a very dangerous and risky tactic and will usually cause you to be destroyed even faster than normal.

Gear failure of this kind could only happen to certain planes, not all.

As Tully said said it definitely existed in IL2/Fb, but haven`t seen it much of late.

I`m sure someone will post the ACTUAL footage of a real fighter`s gears failing while it`s under attack.

FatBoyHK
12-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I was in WC last night and on the message window I read that someone (should be the attacker) ask if the gear drop down due to damage, and the other guy (the victim) replied that he did that intentionally, hoping for a overshoot.

GAU-8
12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
YES!..

that was me HK!... i thought HOLY CR@p.. a third time????

thats why i had to ask, but (i forgot his name) is in WC a lot as well, then maybe he drops his gears intentionally a lot?....

so now im at a point of "did it happen under right curcumstances twice in a night" or just i happened to get 2 players doing the same thing.

but that makes me wonder, if that was the case, why did the 109 pilot who i was climbing at directly underneath and shoot at do it..if he didnt see me at all.?? oh well

SeaFireLIV
12-07-2004, 03:08 AM
Well I was shooting up one guy on HL and his gears dropped and he later said he`d panicked and hit the `gear` button by mistake...

effte
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
With depressurized landing gear hydraulics and mechanical uplocks, the gear will drop if you break the uplock mechanism. Without uplocks, the gear will drop if you damage the hydraulics. Single failure in either case and gear drops.

Cheers,
Fred

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2004, 10:04 AM
This happened to me last night offline and I thought it was one of the coolest things I'd seen in FB to date. My throttle was also shot away which I have always thought was a cool feature.

LEBillfish
12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
There is one gear change I am "sure" of, that being before you could start to drop your gear then instantly begin to raise it (in other words, press gear down it "starts" and you get the message, then hit gear up and it instantly rises back in never fully extending)

Now press gear down, and it "must" fully extend before you reraise it.......Nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif So it "may" be they adjusted the gear drop aspect as well.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2004, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEBillfish:
There is one gear change I am "sure" of, that being before you could start to drop your gear then instantly begin to raise it (in other words, press gear down it "starts" and you get the message, then hit gear up and it instantly rises back in never fully extending)

Now press gear down, and it "must" fully extend before you reraise it.......Nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif So it "may" be they adjusted the gear drop aspect as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I noticed that too, pretty cool feature. Its all in the details with this game.

effte
12-09-2004, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Now press gear down, and it "must" fully extend before you reraise it.......Nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif So it "may" be they adjusted the gear drop aspect as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they broke that part of the simulation. Be sure.

dannyworkman
12-09-2004, 09:10 PM
I have had it happen to me all of a sudden I have one gear down.I have a pic posted at sim-outhouse. but do not know how to post here

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Was playing a little offline tonight doing some testing on the Mustang. I got bored and threw four Me110s in for the heck of it. The last one's rear gunner hit my hydraulics and locked my gear in the up position and I had to use the manufal gear keys to get it down. I've seen this before but its happening more often now and on more aiplanes. I really like these realistic additions, very cool.

S.taibanzai
12-09-2004, 10:40 PM
YES!..

that was me HK!... i thought HOLY CR@p.. a third time????

thats why i had to ask, but (i forgot his name) is in WC a lot as well, then maybe he drops his gears intentionally a lot?....

so now im at a point of "did it happen under right curcumstances twice in a night" or just i happened to get 2 players doing the same thing.

but that makes me wonder, if that was the case, why did the 109 pilot who i was climbing at directly underneath and shoot at do it..if he didnt see me at all.?? oh well <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heya

that 109 pilot was me )))

and yes i did it on purpose !!! to force a overshoot

you where flying spit right ?!

and i was dammeged long before you came on to me ,so i ran low alt to base

and i saw you coming several time's

so i dropped gear and slowed down so much you overshot me several time's

and i landed ))

sry no for the dammage modellng

i think it would be so cool to have it

and i saw it manny tim's on guncams even on spits and hurri's and bombers

my name in hyperlobby= I/JG53_Friedric & 53/S.tai_Haruda

sithgod
12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah I think it would be cool for a patch to have some more damage options. The gear one especially as I have seen it in gun camera footage.

Philipscdrw
12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
The He-111 was another aircraft where the gear is only held up by hydraulic pressure. And hydraulic systems tend to have lots of one-way valves in them, losing engines won't drop the pressure in the gear mechanism because there's a one-way valve between the engine and the undercarriage, which only transmits pressure one way.

I found out about the gear pressure the other day, I took off, retracted gear, retracted flaps, forgot if I'd retracted gear or not, so I hit g to see if the message said 'gear up' or 'gear down'. And it said 'gear down', but then refused to go up again until they'd got to the bottom of the cycle... don't know if this is realistic or not really, or a good thing... but if 1C think it's worth putting in, it probably is...