PDA

View Full Version : Vaulting: Do you miss it?

Sypron
09-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Strange thing to be asking, but I'll start with some context.

For those of you who played Assassin's Creed 1, who has every pulled off a 'vault' manoeuvre? I realise it's not amazingly difficult, but the technique was never documented (for those who don't know, a vault is performed by holding the 'hands' button while free running and landing on a ledge or rail).

I was saddened when I realised it was no longer possible in AC2. Perhaps the devs thought not enough people would use it to bother coding it. Perhaps they thought it wasn't a necessary technique.

I'm just trying to get a bit of scope as to how many people knew about this, and how many noticed it was taken out of AC2. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be in Brotherhood. Who knows.

jimbo11235813
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I found out about it about 2 months before AC2, but I was surprised it was taken out. I was hoping that they would improve it so that you would drop when on a moderately high beam (I always found that if you did it at about twice head height, Altair would just hold onto the beam, slowing you down. I'd prefer just to drop and lose a bit of health than to hang there for a sec and let the enemies catch up.)

I wouldn't mind too much if it wasn't ever added again, but if it is, it would need to be improved.

Keksus
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't really know what you're talking about. Do you mean to grab an edge which is near the character but slightly out of his range if you just jump normal? This wasn't removed.

Twostein
09-24-2010, 08:52 AM
could you post a vid or pic?

to be honest, i have no idea what you are talking about

phil.llllll
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
He means this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBWEud8p9s

Which for some reason they took out of AC2.

Keksus
09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Didn't even know that this was in the game. But well ... looks like it's senseless.

RandomRansom
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I wish they had it in ACII and even Brotherhood. It really took some control away from me as a player. Now I'm almost forced to follow the free-running "sequence" that the level designers set up for me. It's harder for me to interrupt it in a way I choose with the vault function.

To be honest, I don't miss it a ton. However, I rarely like having functionality removed from a game series.

Another reason they may have taken it out was because it could be a little glitchy in the animation department. The vault wouldn't look right in some areas but would try to run through the animation anyway. Watch the video above at around 0:32 for some examples of the animation not looking right (Altair basically grabs nothing to help him vault and doesn't have time to complete the animation very well).

NuclearFuss
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
To be honest I'm not bothered it's gone, what we need is to be able to do a proper vault over small objects. Like when you run towards a fence instead of jumping on it then jumping off (usually too far or in the wrong direction), we need to be able to just hop over it.

RandomRansom
09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by sackboy411:
To be honest I'm not bothered it's gone, what we need is to be able to do a proper vault over small objects. Like when you run towards a fence instead of jumping on it then jumping off (usually too far or in the wrong direction), we need to be able to just hop over it.

That's what the vault was.

NuclearFuss
09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
No, the vault in AC1 was just a move to drop off ledges and beams, and you had to have jumped from another object for it to work. This is the kind of vault we need. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tVMHtRKI0)

Theassassin4756
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
totally agree with sackboy411. that is something that would make free running a bit more fun... that and a small horizontal wall run.

RandomRansom
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
No, the vault in AC1 was just a move to drop off ledges and beams, and you had to have jumped from another object for it to work. This is the kind of vault we need. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tVMHtRKI0)

Umm... watch this video and tell me there aren't a few moves in here that look strikingly similar to the move that guy just did in your video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBWEud8p9s

It's not the best display of what you can do, but he does some of what you're talking about. Pay peticular attention to 0:32-0:40 and 0:51-0:54 and after the 1:04 marker he does it a few times... at 1:17-1:24 there are two decent examples... 1:30-1:34 is another good example... the guy does a lot of jumping into a vault across a gap which is kind of deceptively complex. Really, just pay the most attention to 0:51-0:54 and 1:30-1:34 to basically see the move you're looking for.

It's clearly not JUST a move to "drop off ledges and beams." There just are any perfect examples of what your video guy does in the video link in my post. You can do exactly what you're asking for in AC1 if you find a wall at a similar height to the one from your video.

NuclearFuss
09-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes, but that has to be from a jump. I think it would be a good idea to let us vault from a sprint. So we can sprint directly at the wall and then hop over it without needing to have jumped from another object. It's one of the most basic things free-runners can do.

RandomRansom
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes, but that has to be from a jump. I think it would be a good idea to let us vault from a sprint. So we can sprint directly at the wall and then hop over it without needing to have jumped from another object. It's one of the most basic things free-runners can do.

I guess in AC1 they wanted you to have to jump (even off the ground and not "from another object" though I guess the ground can be considered "another object") just before you vault just like free-runners have to. I mean, free-runners don't just sprint at a wall and then use one free hand to vault themselves over a wall. They'd probably run right into the wall due to their inertia being all forward.

But I think I get what you're saying in making it happen just while you're sprinting. However, then there would be the complication of the game having to guess if you want to jump over the wall or vault over it. I think if they just had you vault if you're at least jogging in high profile and use your free hand button. That way you could drop out of sprinting just before a wall and vault over it without having to jump.

They could even link it to the rushing through crowd ability (where you're pushing people out of the way by being in high profile with the free hand button held down). If you're doing that and run into a wall that's low enough for you to vault over, then you vault over it.

Oh, and if you look at 0:32-0:40 I'm not completely convinced you do have to do it after having jumped "from another object."

TheMusingMoose
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
RandomRansom, free-runners do indeed sprint at a wall and then use one hand to lift themselves over it.

RandomRansom
09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JonnyQuickShot:
RandomRansom, free-runners do indeed sprint at a wall and then use one hand to lift themselves over it.

<sarcasm>
Holy crap! So they don't even jump at all? They just use the power of their arm to pull their entire body up and over the wall without using their legs at all? Huh... and here I thought they were known for using their whole bodies to free-run. I guess I was mistaken.
</sarcasm>

I know that free-runners use an arm during the vault process, but they do need to jump at LEAST a bit or they'll almost definitely hit the wall they mean to vault. That is... unless the wall is short enough to only use their arm to pull themself over, but... then why don't they just jump?

That was my actual point: they have to run at a wall, JUMP, and use a free hand (all of those things) to complete a vault maneuver.

MolochXX
09-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I had no idea you could even do that.

xChupa
09-25-2010, 12:58 AM
That was in the early builds of AC1, but was removed for some reason.

Watch this video and skip to about 4:15. The vault you are talking about is at 4:19.
Vault from sprint - 4:19 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibQyqMqSlk)

Sypron
09-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one who misses it.

I think, perhaps, the concept wasn't fully completed/implemented in AC1, that's why we can only do it after jumps rather than while running. And it did have limited effectiveness because of that.

Here's hoping they'll put it in ACB or AC3.

RandomRansom
09-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by xChupa:

That was in the early builds of AC1, but was removed for some reason.

Watch this video and skip to about 4:15. The vault you are talking about is at 4:19.
Vault from sprint - 4:19 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibQyqMqSlk)

That's strange. I don't think it was completely taken out of AC1. I mean, I did just put the game in and performed a vault while running over some boxes. Sure, I had to jump up onto the first box before I vaulted over the second one, but I still performed a vault maneuver. They couldn't have removed it entirely from the later builds if I can do that.

I also hope they put an easy to control version in ACB. Like if you're at least jogging in high profile and run up against a wall you vault, but if you're sprinting, you leap up onto and over it... or having to be holding the free button hand while in high profile but not sprinting... something like that.

The_Sphinx
09-25-2010, 08:36 AM
O wow I've never even seen this move before. I'm sure it's never mentioned in the original AC so you'd had to find out by accident.

Would be extremely useful for getting over small obstacles.

Sypron
09-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Adnocana:
O wow I've never even seen this move before. I'm sure it's never mentioned in the original AC so you'd had to find out by accident.

Would be extremely useful for getting over small obstacles.

Would be, yes, if you could use it in such scenarios. But as it stands, you basically have to jump, hold free hand button, then land, then vault over the next obstacle.

I've used it once or twice to leap over an obstacle next to a guard blockade without initiating a free run sequence. That's about as much use as I've ever gotten out of it.

RandomRansom
09-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Sypron:

Would be, yes, if you could use it in such scenarios. But as it stands, you basically have to jump, hold free hand button, then land, then vault over the next obstacle.

I've used it once or twice to leap over an obstacle next to a guard blockade without initiating a free run sequence. That's about as much use as I've ever gotten out of it.

That's probably another reason they left it out of ACII. They made the functionality of it too specific and too hard to use... just whenever you wanted to. If they made it so you could vault over low enough walls/objects by jogging up to it in high profile while holding the free hand button, then it would be both non-specifically useful and easy to use/accomplish.