PDA

View Full Version : Flabbergasted

clarencedonath
10-11-2005, 08:41 AM
In my fifth career since starting my U-boat adventures I was enjoying my longest career yet. I'd been in the 2nd flotilla out of Lorient since 1940. It was mid 1942 and I was on my 13th patrol. I had recently upgraded to a IXC. My impression of the IXC is that it is a true ocean-borne vessel. A BIG boat. Although I enjoyed being able to sail much farther with the added fuel capacity, I kind of missed my smaller VIIB. Although the deck gun on the IXC is very impressive, I had much less ammo available. And the IXC dives painstakingly slow in rough seas.

Anyway, I was assigned a patrol off the coast of Nova Scotia. On my way there I met a new type of enemy aircraft. A large, slow craft! I turn my boat 180 degrees to the incoming plane so my flak gunners could get some good shots in. She bears down on my boat and my gunners let loose. This plane is firing guns as my gunners light her up, and I watch as she slams into the ocean in front of me. It was glorious.

Days later, as I approach my patrol grid, another of these planes is sighted. I proceed to engage the same tactics that lead to the previous planes' demise. She's coming in and my flak gunners begin to fire. But my weary flaks aren't as sharp this time. I keep my eyes on the plane as it flies over my boat, and she unloads a TON OF BOMBS! Ack!! The last thing I remember seeing was my flak gunners blurring into obscurity, with my hearing blown out by the explosions. A split-second later I was staring flabbergasted at the screen of death, with my only option to Abandon Career.

What the hell kind of planes are these?? Why didn't you guys tell me about these things before?!?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

It would be really nice if you could meet with some other captains before going on patrol, to be warned of such new dangers lurking out there. Or maybe and I was the first in my flotilla to experience this new weapon, and did not live to tell about it.

In my next career I won't make the same mistake again. Like the lessons I learned about Flower Corvettes in my earlier careers. But in reality, the original U-boat captains didn't have another chance. That thought is harrowing.

God I love this game.

clarencedonath
10-11-2005, 08:41 AM
In my fifth career since starting my U-boat adventures I was enjoying my longest career yet. I'd been in the 2nd flotilla out of Lorient since 1940. It was mid 1942 and I was on my 13th patrol. I had recently upgraded to a IXC. My impression of the IXC is that it is a true ocean-borne vessel. A BIG boat. Although I enjoyed being able to sail much farther with the added fuel capacity, I kind of missed my smaller VIIB. Although the deck gun on the IXC is very impressive, I had much less ammo available. And the IXC dives painstakingly slow in rough seas.

Anyway, I was assigned a patrol off the coast of Nova Scotia. On my way there I met a new type of enemy aircraft. A large, slow craft! I turn my boat 180 degrees to the incoming plane so my flak gunners could get some good shots in. She bears down on my boat and my gunners let loose. This plane is firing guns as my gunners light her up, and I watch as she slams into the ocean in front of me. It was glorious.

Days later, as I approach my patrol grid, another of these planes is sighted. I proceed to engage the same tactics that lead to the previous planes' demise. She's coming in and my flak gunners begin to fire. But my weary flaks aren't as sharp this time. I keep my eyes on the plane as it flies over my boat, and she unloads a TON OF BOMBS! Ack!! The last thing I remember seeing was my flak gunners blurring into obscurity, with my hearing blown out by the explosions. A split-second later I was staring flabbergasted at the screen of death, with my only option to Abandon Career.

What the hell kind of planes are these?? Why didn't you guys tell me about these things before?!?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

It would be really nice if you could meet with some other captains before going on patrol, to be warned of such new dangers lurking out there. Or maybe and I was the first in my flotilla to experience this new weapon, and did not live to tell about it.

In my next career I won't make the same mistake again. Like the lessons I learned about Flower Corvettes in my earlier careers. But in reality, the original U-boat captains didn't have another chance. That thought is harrowing.

God I love this game.

Dominicrigg
10-11-2005, 10:25 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif lol sorry for you!

But yes if you are playing with no reloads and a new career when you die its mad to take on destroyers or aircraft. One time they will get you and at the very least the damage will mean you will have to head home and take a couple of months filling in the holes in your uboat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Salute to your brave crewmen and better luck next time!

ILikePortillos
10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm guessing it was a B-24? I'd run from those babys. They get REAL good at hunting U-Boats.