PDA

View Full Version : New 1C RTS based on IL-2

Buzzsaw-
04-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Salute All

1C has partnered up with BATTLEFRONT, the people who created the extremely well respected COMBAT MISSION series of games.

The game, now called THEATRE OF WAR, is going to be released in approx. 1 week.

Previews, pics and video are here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/index.html

Looks good to me.

And can be played online with up to 8 players.

Demo available here:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=42243

Cheers Buzzsaw

slipBall
04-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Thanks...I'm checking it out, could be fun

mynameisroland
04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
The British dont have the 17 lber Firefly as far as I can see, every other bloody 17lber chasis combination but not the most obvious one ?

Manos1
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey, Great!

Thanks for posting the news and the links.

I will give it a try!

~S~

bazzaah2
04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by mynameisroland:
The British dont have the 17 lber Firefly as far as I can see, every other bloody 17lber chasis combination but not the most obvious one ?

plus ca change and all that.

FritzGryphon
04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Note that Oleg has nothing to do with the game. Totally different developer.

Buzzsaw-
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Salute Fritz

My understanding was that Oleg owned 1C? Is that not the case?

Also, my understanding is the game engine is based on IL-2. At least, that is what one reviewer said.

Please feel free to correct any misunderstandings... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Buzzsaw-:
Salute Fritz

My understanding was that Oleg owned 1C? Is that not the case?

Also, my understanding is the game engine is based on IL-2. At least, that is what one reviewer said.

Please feel free to correct any misunderstandings... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Oleg owns Maddox Games. Oleg doesn't own 1C similar to how Oleg doesn't own Ubisoft.

This isn't Oleg's RTS. Its another company that is being published by 1C. The engine and some objects were licensed to the developer of this game by Oleg's company.

Buzzsaw-
04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Salute Icefire

Ok, my apologies for the misunderstanding. When the reviewer said IL-2, mentioned Oleg, and the screenshots looked a lot like Oleg's RTS, I made assumptions.

Still looks like a pretty good Sim, certainly more realistic than things like Company of Heroes.

Skycat_2
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Isn't this the same title that has been in development for years and used to have the working title "WWII RTS"? I don't recall if that was ever Oleg's project or what. I do believe that the IL-2 series, this RTS, and Storm of War are all interconnected.

Can you imagine swooping down over one of these terrains in a Storm of War aircraft? Strafing an artillery position or a vehicle convoy in a sunken lane? Rocket attacks on armor holding a hill?

Thanks for the links. I usually have very little interest in RTS games, but this one looks worth checking out.

Krt_Bong
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Tried to download the demo twice and only ended up with 35Mb in fact every demo I tried to get through that site was corrupt somehow even though it linked through Filefront http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Troll2k
04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
You can go to the Battlefront site and download.Many mirrors are listed.

http://battlefront.com/index.htm

carguy_
04-20-2007, 02:20 AM
I played the demo and overall verdict is positive.It`s actually pretty close to an RTS I have always wanted.

The eyesight camera is very interesting though I`ve already seen that in Earth2160.In a little town,seeing a tank coming out from its hiding from a perspective of a soldier really scared me for a second.

The demo isn`t ofcourse a good material to rate the whole game but I already have some complaints.In one of the missions a set of T34-85 and IS-2 attacks Wehrmacht positions defended by me with Hetzers,Sturmtigers and StugIv`s.The problem is Russian tanks are able to engage mine from a really big range whereas my super tanks cannot use their MAIN advantage of superior guns.I mean an 88mm should be able to hit even from 1200m while in the game my tanks won`t fire until the enemy is like 300m away.Even from that distance it took three 88mm shells to destroy red tanks from frontal attack.

Also I don`t see trees being of use as any kind of hiding.It is pretty clear self propelled cannons used them to ambush tanks whereas in TOW my Wespe is forced to take on T34 head to head OR wait till the fight starts and attack from the side when they already engage something else.

Anyway,giving demo user a `45 mission was a really good idea.Hell,I`d buy the game to stare at those tank models alone.

I hope 1C will change camera controls cuz it is quite hard to get the exact viewing height and angle one desires.Earth2160 is ALOT better in that respect.In TOW before you get to view what and how you want,the moment to react is already gone.

Bewolf
04-20-2007, 05:46 AM
I didn't have the problem of my tanks not enganging. Mine started shooting as soon as enemy tanks appeared. Two problems though. First of all accuracy on both sides appeared to be equal, when in real life it should be much easier for german tanks to hit the enemy at longer rangers due to their superiour optics. Another problem is indeed weapon penetration. T-34/85 take a lot of 88 and 75mm hits before out of action. On the opposite luckily those german tanks are hard buggers, too. But that was to be expected. In my last attempt I got a 7 friendly killed against 21 enemy tanks destroyed. The frequence of main gun destroyed remains odd, though.

leitmotiv
04-20-2007, 06:37 AM
I decided to wait for the delivery of the game from the publisher. I hope the errors you guys have discovered won't be in the final version. I am really interested in the France 1940 scenarios---Char Bs, Somuas, and Matildas---oh dear!

M_Gunz
04-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Shouldn't Tiger be immediate kill danger to T34-85 from 600 meters or less on frontal?
Unless perhaps the angle of strike is off? A tank parks right, there are very few faces to
the enemy that are not slanted to hits.

Why use Wespe anti-tank? That thing should be firing indirect onto infantry, arty and trucks.
It's not a front line weapon as almost any tank can kill it in direct fire. It's a bleedin'
105mm howitzer with only HE! Anti-tank? Does the crew stay to joust with a tank? Do they
even try to escape in the slower, thin armored, soft-target gunned, soon to be dead Wespe?

Well, the Russians would pull portee trucks up to the front line, and they had no armor....