PDA

View Full Version : Sry it's OT, but this guy was great

M2morris
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Scott Crossfield died.
This story is just too unfortunate for words and makes me angry and sad, I hope you all know who this guy was and what he did. What a lousy thing to have happen.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/georgia.plane.ap/index.html

clayman_52
04-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Hell of a pilot ... one of our unsung X-15 "space-men".

Still ... flying at 84 and doing what he loved till the end ... hope I can.

raaaid
04-21-2006, 06:57 AM
i think its nice being 84 and still dieing in action

Airmail109
04-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Its sad but Id much rather die like that than rotting in an old peoples home. R.I.P

Blottogg
04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I actually met the man while I was in high school in 1982. My girlfriend's family doctor was also a flight surgeon named Dr. Crane, who started an aviation themed fraternal organization after WWII called the IOC (International Order of Characters... they didn't take themselves too seriously.) I got invited to one of their dinners, with presentations by Col Gentry (narrating a film of him spin testing an F-4), Rudi Opitz standing in for a no-show speaker at the last minute (talking about some obsure aircraft called the Komet), and Scott Crossfield. Mr. Crossfield talked about his experiences with the X-15 program, including the ground test explosion (he was unhurt aside from temporarily loosing his hearing IIRC) and the fuselage break during a landing (due to trapped fuel on board, again IIRC.) I remember him as being very gracious to an ignorant high school student, and he gave me his autograph. I'm sorry to hear he's gone, but I guess there are worse ways for a test pilot/aerospace engineer to go.

GR142_Astro
04-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Happy trails Scott Crossfield.

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/happy_bottom_riding_club.gif

M2morris
04-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Ya, that is true I geuss, if youre gonna go thats probably a good way, especially at his age. Better than drying up in an old folkes home or something. Nice story Blottogg.

Texan...
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
So long Scott.