PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a good desk setup for playing Il-2 on an HDTV?

Ba5tard5word
10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I have a 32 inch HDTV which is pretty nice, and it's a LOT of fun to play Il-2 on it. But usually I use my smaller 21 inch monitor with my computer because it's easier to do stuff like play RTS games and surf the internet, so I keep the 21 inch monitor at my computer desk. The best way to play Il-2 is to use the same desk because it has a roll-out shelf I can put my joystick on, but that involves putting the 21 inch monitor on the floor and moving the computer desk in front of the TV, which is just a hassle.

What do any of you do if you use a TV as your monitor? I could just keep using the 21 incher but the bigger TV just really adds a lot of immersiveness to Il-2 and fps games. Or I guess I could get a 24 inch monitor as a compromise. Or some sort of small desk I could drag out when I want to play on the big TV...

Stiletto-
10-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Hey Bastardsword, I have fathomed many thing for my sim cockpit myself.

I usually spot off in here about how a big screen tv sucks for IL2... Well 1080p is not very good but I was running 52"s on my desk, 32"s would be alot better looking.. But im still gonna reccomend upgrading your monitor instead of finding a good cockpit frame that can slide infront of your tv.

Right now, I am running an Obutto,

http://www.obutto.com/

my desk wasn't cutting it, I just did a move recently and fiberboard crap breaks really easily.

The Obutto does race sims and flight sims setups at a very reasonable price...

Now let me get on track to what your talking about more... I had a nice 24" monitor, but it was a CRT (the biggest CRT ever made in the world). Might be needless to say, but the Obutto his tube frame and the monitor is for VESA mounting flatscreens, I new my beloved 98 pound CRT wouldn't work.

So what did I do? I recently bought a VESA compatable 27" Acer B273HU. It was $320 I think and runs 2048x1152 which will get you a little bit more definition than a standard 1080p monitor. I could have gone larger (and more resolution for $$$$) but I think if you go with a big widescreen you really need a resolution more than 1080p, it just starts looking low res.

The big deal these days is to run 3 monitors, and I plan to upgrade with 2 more B273HUs' in the spring. my Obutto cockpit came with extra monitor mounts so I can run 3 monitors if and when I choose to upgrade. The resolution of 3 smaller monitors is so much better than 1 large one.

I expect most sim enthusiasts to be going the 3 monitor route in the next 3-5 years, so it's something to think about, especially with SoW on the horizon.

So what am I saying? If you can afford spending 300-500 dollars on a half decent larger LCD that is 26-28", I would reccomend that and replace that on your desk. The other option is to get a sim cockpit where you dont want to use a monitor mount that can slide in front of your tv easily in your living room, and slide back out. You can run a long HDMI cord or other video cord to the TV, as well as a long USB cord for your joystick controllers so you can keep your computer still at your desk. Keep in mind though, that any sim rig, being a replacement for a desk or one that slides in and out in the living room in front of your tv's home entertainment center will cost you atleast 300 dollars.. So really a new monitors or sim rig are kind of an equal difference financially.

I choose to get a replacement for my desk AND an new monitor for less than $700, but you could probably manage one or the other if you do it right. Hope this helps.

Stiletto-
10-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Wow my typing is awful, I just want to apologize on that because I just came home from the bars and I think it has clearly effected my English, lol. I'm not that far into the bag but I just wanted to make it clear why some of my words in the previous post are so messed!

Also, I hope I can get a picture of my Obutto in flight sim mode posted in here somtime soon, it really is a nice alternative to being a "Desktop" flight simmer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
10-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm not really interested in getting something expensive when I already have the TV. Really what I want to do is have some sort of small desk that allows me to play Il-2 on the TV and can be moved away when I'm not using it.

I guess I could just put the 32 inch on my desk and use it for my main monitor and flip it to the side for when I watch it as a TV, but it would feel pretty weird since it's so big.

I'd rather not get a 24 inch because the 32 inch is great for Il-2 and I can't imagine a 24 inch desktop would be as good, and I couldn't really afford something better, plus I'd also like to maybe get a new graphics card at some point.

DD_crash
10-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Have a look in HERE (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2286818/Please_show_off_your_pit.html#Post2286818) Some good ideas (and a LOT of excellent pits)

voyager_663rd
10-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I'm not really interested in getting something expensive when I already have the TV. Really what I want to do is have some sort of small desk that allows me to play Il-2 on the TV and can be moved away when I'm not using it.

How about a (used) microwave cart?

They are almost always on wheels and can be found dirt cheap on craigslist, yard sales, etc

Stiletto-
10-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd look at Ikea, they have some little desk/cart things with flip out trays, which would work good.. I think there pretty cheap too.

Or maybe something like this?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60157366

triad773
10-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I had eye problems starting a couple of years ago. I got a 32" LCD TV so I could still do my job. I have my setup pretty much as a dedicated monitor. I am set up on what I would consider a basic table about a metre high, by 1.2 metres deep and 2 metres wide.

I also have an under desk keyboard tray like this one that wasn't overly expensive http://www.versatables.com/pag...ucts/options/bka.php (http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/options/bka.php)

The tray is good for my stick too, allowing me to put it right where I like it.

Also I have tried to make the monitor my 'digital hub' for watching Netflix, YouTube, Comedy Central, DVDs, music, email, gaming etc.

My TrackIR 3 perches nicely on top of the TV, and to cut down on the wire-clutter, I use a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. That way I can be up close or sit back as I like.

Hope some of that might help.

Triad

voyager_663rd
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
with the microwave cart, if it's got a drawer, just turn that upside down and you've got your table for kb or stick.