PDA

View Full Version : Computer upgrade help

marine428
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
I imagine that most of you are pretty good with computers. I'm trying to upgrade my video card but I'm stuck with only PCI slots.

My specs are:
2.7 Celeron
1 GB of RAM
Radeon 9200PCI

Does anyone have a recomondation for a better PCI video card? Is there some way to add a AGP slot to my motherboard (solder points are there) or am I better off trying to get a new motherboard? I'm kind of on a budget (E-3 doesn't pay that well) but any suggestion would be greatfully appreciated.

icrash
01-27-2005, 07:39 PM
If you post this in Community Help aka Tech Forum, I'm sure the gang there can help. I have a radeon 9600xt in an AGP slot. My buddy swears that the PCI is faster & he's putting a PCI card in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. This of course means stuff won't work right at least when it's my computer.

Owlsphone
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
There is no way to get an AGP slot other than to get a new motherboard.

Sadly, I am almost positive that the 9200 is the best card you can get for PCI. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Jumoschwanz
01-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Hello Marine,

Please do not spend money on a PCI card. The only PCI card that will beat an agp card would be the new PCI Express maybe, and they will not fit your board either.

My father and I have computers with AGP Radeon 9700 & 9800Pro cards, a gig or ram and very powerful processors, and they will not run perfect mode at the highest resolutions at acceptable framerates.

Very soon all new computers will be 64bit, PCI Express and DDR2, and our rigs will all be obsolete.
If you can find a motherboard with AGP to fit your processor and ram, then get a used AGP card to tide you over for a year that would be a good bet. Often you can get new motherboards on e-bay very cheaply, and a nice 64mb Gf3 video card can be found there also. This would let you run excellent settings at fairly high resolution. I would not be surprised if you could get both for 50 dollars or less.

If you get a new PCI video card for your rig you will spend maybe a hundred dollars and you will not be able to run in perfect mode at good framerates, and you will still be wondering what is on the other side of the fence.

I hate to buy any upgrades for my rig now as anything I buy to fit my 32bit/AGP/ddr rig will not work in the newest motherboards that are on sale right now, let alone any that will be for sale this fall. In a year things will settle down to the new 64bit/PCIexpress?ddr2/sata2 standard, the prices will come down and we will all be able to build new rigs that will run Pacific Fighters at 1600x1200 in perfect mode at high frame rates. Some high end aGP/ 32bit machines will do this right now with the latest $500 video cards, but in a year they will have spent $500 bucks on an AGP video card that will not fit in the new PCI express rig they want to build and they will be selling it on ebay for a quarter to half what they paid for it.
IN summary, I don't recommend anyone spending a lot on thier current generation rigs. Hold out for a year for the new hardware to come down a bit, as it will probably become the standard for at least two or three years and you will be able to build a new rig that will not be outdated for perhaps that long.

I probably did not do a darn thing but confuse you. If your rig will run this sim as it is, albeit at lower resolutions, maybe you should just concentrate on having fun this year and stick some cash in an account every month. Then for Christmas 2005, treat yourself to a new rig with a PCI express video card. S!

Jumoschwanz

LuckyBoy1
01-27-2005, 09:08 PM
This sort of question should be asked over in Community Help forum. When you ask your question, post your diagnosis. If you need instructions, see Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users.

From the limited information you have given, the anser to the can you add AGP is no. not with that motherboard. If it is a brand name computer, if you just purchased the motherboard as an upgrade, your re-install CD will not work for Cousin Billy's operating system and other re-install discs that came with the PC may not work as well. As a result, you would have to buy programming as well as a mommaboard.

9200 is the best I know of, but it is no better than 64 MB onboard Intel video.

The biggest thing holding you back from what little I can tell is your CPU. Not everything is in the video card. Celeron processors were never meant for gaming.

marine428
01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. I need to upgrade anyway. Anyhting else won't do me any good in the long run.

LuckyBoy1
01-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Build your own PC. Community Help forum can walk you through the entire process from buying parts to installing them and software etc.

BERNDT79
01-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I am a proud owner of a 64mb 9100 PCI card. From my research, it and its 128mb brother are some of the best pci cards, along with the 9200 you have, as well as the 5200 by nvidia. Also, pci cards are a step up from the 64mb onboard video. I run PF at 1024x768 at med settings, wherea with the intel oboard that was a dream, and i was stuck in 800x600. Other games also had a considerable jump. Stick with your pci card for now sir, and save up to build your own computer, like i am right now...now back to my "awesome" dell 2400http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

marine428
01-28-2005, 06:09 AM
I appreciate all the help. I'm glad that there are so many people willing to give advice. I haven't made up my mind yet but this has given me a lot of direction. Thank you.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-28-2005, 06:29 AM
Taking that first plunge to building your own can seem daunting, but once the "seal" is broken, you'll be happier and have that satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Do some research and make sure your components are known to be compatible. Then a little direction can get you up and running.

TB