PDA

View Full Version : mixture question...

DangerForward
04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Does changing the mixture to 120% at sea level do anything? A real pilot told me making the mixture rich was a way to cool the engine, but this doesn't appear to work. I tried going full out at sea level in a Corsair with mix at 120% and 100%, I reached the same speed and overheat in the same amount of time. Or does it really do something else? Also did they ever fix the rads having an effect on cooling in the P47, F4U, F6F and F4F? I know that openning the rads effects the Tempest and 190 cooling, but I don't really see much effect on the planes I listed earlier.

Thanks...

Haigotron
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
I dunno if you can rely on the FM to be that accurate, I think the system of how the engine of the game calculates overheating is different, and I don't think it encompasses fuel mixture...

But seriously, if that's the case, I think it'll be an excellent addition to BoB FM!

Ill let someone with more conaissance tell you more about it...

mortoma
04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
The pilots told you the truth, in RL it has a tendency to cool your engine. But I don't think that's modeled in the game. I never noticed it helping. If it does, it doesn't help much.

NonWonderDog
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, mixture should be THE control for engine temperature. Unfortunately, mixture doesn't seem to do anything at all unless it's way too low or way too high. I think it has the expected effect on fuel economy, though.

Ciscobird
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Also, as higher you go, you're supposed to lean the mixture due to less denser air up there (less air, less fuel necessary - keeping the air/fuel ratio constant).

I don't know if it actually works in the game. Sometimes when I fly J8A, the engine would stall and the only way to get it started again would be to lean the mixture. I don't know if that was what fixed the problem but it had a neat effect.

Nonetheless, a superb sim! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

panzerd18
04-23-2006, 09:39 PM
At say 4,000 meters what percentage should the mixture be set at?

tagTaken2
04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by panzerd18:
At say 4,000 meters what percentage should the mixture be set at?

Depends on the plane. Consult your manual for further information. Then, having failed to find much of use, return here.

VW-IceFire
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by DangerForward:
Does changing the mixture to 120% at sea level do anything? A real pilot told me making the mixture rich was a way to cool the engine, but this doesn't appear to work. I tried going full out at sea level in a Corsair with mix at 120% and 100%, I reached the same speed and overheat in the same amount of time. Or does it really do something else? Also did they ever fix the rads having an effect on cooling in the P47, F4U, F6F and F4F? I know that openning the rads effects the Tempest and 190 cooling, but I don't really see much effect on the planes I listed earlier.

Thanks...
Rads on the P-47, F4U, F6F, and any other R-2800 equipped aircraft do not work. Its broken. The bug report has been submitted but nothing has been done...

IL2-chuter
04-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Apparently air-cooled engine temperature is actually oil temp. and cowl flaps don't have any effect on oil temp. (In-game)

Running 120% mix versus 100% will cause a slight loss of power unless you would experience detonation at the same power setting with 100% mix. Since the pressure carb system is a throttle body injector ahead of the supercharger throwing in extra fuel will help drop your inlet charge temp a little more. 120% should only be used, then, when overboosting. Direct injection (into cylinders, Daimler Benz) reponds poorly to this technique which is why a system was developed to inject water into the inlet of the supercharger when overboosting.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tully__
04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Apparently air-cooled engine temperature is actually oil temp. and cowl flaps don't have any effect on oil temp. (In-game)

Aircooled engine will have two guages, oil and cylinder head. Liquid cooled engine may add coolant temp to the other two for a total of three or may substitute coolant temp for cylinder head temp.

Some more complex aircraft (and most well instrumented modern piston engine aircraft) will also have exhaust gas temp as this gives a more repsonsive guage of what's going on inside the engine than any of the others and allows the pilot/engineer to correct poor setup more quickly.

Texan...
04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Also, the mixture settings are very random at this point.

IL2-chuter
04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Apparently air-cooled engine temperature is actually oil temp. and cowl flaps don't have any effect on oil temp. (In-game)

Aircooled engine will have two guages, oil and cylinder head. Liquid cooled engine may add coolant temp to the other two for a total of three or may substitute coolant temp for cylinder head temp.

Some more complex aircraft (and most well instrumented modern piston engine aircraft) will also have exhaust gas temp as this gives a more repsonsive guage of what's going on inside the engine than any of the others and allows the pilot/engineer to correct poor setup more quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are absolutely correct . . . I was speaking of the game (I got my pilot's license in 1976).