PDA

View Full Version : 4 usb device limit

Black_Ops7
04-29-2010, 03:28 AM
I have a question,

Is the 4 usb device limit in Il2 by design or is it something in windows that limits 4 devices per game?

I remember that the race sim GTR2 also has a 4 usb device limit.

If its not windows that cause this limit and its by design, can team daidalos make il2 use more then 4 usb devices in a future patch?

you may ask why is more then 4 needed.
Well for simpit builders.
Yes you can always work around things but i think native support in something is better/more easy.

(track ir, stick , hotas style throtle , throtle quadrant , rudders pedals , usb chip from leo bodnar , maybe 2x saitek quadrant , usb mfd , thats 9 usb devices....)

TheGrunch
04-29-2010, 04:44 AM
It's just an Il-2 thing, I think...but I wouldn't worry too much - Il-2 doesn't physically limit the number of USB devices you can connect and use! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It just won't let you bind controls to anything higher than the fourth controller in the control panel game controllers list. TrackIR and the MFD won't count unless the MFD has buttons. Use the Bodnar board to combine some of the devices (probably the quadrants, 4 axes each, right?). If you're building a simpit you won't be moving them around a lot, right? Just use wires to connect two of the quadrants together so you use all of the axes on the board. If the MFD has buttons on it you can use Joy2key to pass the button presses as keyboard keys and remove that from the equation as well. Preferably buy another Bodnar board and combine the stick and throttle as well. If you play your cards right you should be able to get it down to stick+throttle, two quadrants, rudder and remaining quadrant, and whatever you're using the other Bodnar board for with just 3 more Bodnar boards, which would be the way to go. Anyway, why the heck do you need so many throttle quadrants, that's more than you'd need for a 4-engined bomber for sure...if you're doing it so that you can switch when you're flying fighters (HOTAS style throttle + throttle quadrant) vs. flying bombers (2-3 throttle quadrants depending upon whether you're mapping mixture to an axis), why do you need the other option connected while you're not using it?

STENKA_69.GIAP
04-29-2010, 05:10 AM
It is a limit of IL2 and it is a complete pain. Actualy the fourth USB device is only useful as a button box as current IL2 does not detect analog axes on ID4.

This means that after connecting my USB pedals, my X52 Throttle and my Saitek quadrant the Leo Bodnar controller is pushed down to ID4 and my joystick doesn't work.

There is no way of changing the order of the devices so if I want my stick to work in IL2 I have to unplug my quadrant before starting the game.

ROF and FSX have no problem picking up axes on 4 or more USB game control devices.

TheGrunch
04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Oh, I didn't know that you couldn't bind axes on ID4...that sucks. I think there's a program available to change the controller numbers in Windows somewhere, Stenka, I'll have a look for it.

AndyJWest
04-29-2010, 08:25 AM
There is another solution, though it will involve some programming. You can have external software read a USB device periodically, and use DeviceLink to send commands to IL-2. My prototype autopilot does that with the primary control axes (to get around problems with a/c not having necessary trims), and it works fine, though you lose the ability to program sensitivity within IL-2 - I added a function to my control software to do this there instead. In practice, you'll normally find it simpler to use this approach with minor controls, and use direct USB - IL-2 for primaries.

horseback
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
This is where the CH Products purchase really pays off--I've combined my Combatstick, Pro Throttle, Throttle Quad, and Pro Pedals into just 2 devices detected by Windows and the game, using the CH Manager software. TBH, only the functions of the Quadrant make ID2 necessary, but for my setup, the 12 buttons and the axes I use for Prop Pitch and trim are more accessible using it (and I suppose that the smaller Saitek throttle setup might work as well in its place).

That's up to 15 axes and 46+ buttons, and I still have room for a vibrating game controller for pseudo FFB effects and a Saitek Game Commander with another 20 or so buttons.

My TrackIR doesn't count against the controller limit in the game, although I had to buy a powered USB 2.0 hub for all my USB goodies.

There are off the shelf workarounds if one looks in the right places.

cheers

horseback

Black_Ops7
04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by horseback:
This is where the CH Products purchase really pays off--I've combined my Combatstick, Pro Throttle, Throttle Quad, and Pro Pedals into just 2 devices detected by Windows and the game, using the CH Manager software.
horseback

Cool , so if you stick to CH products only , you can combine them in the ch manager software to get detected by the game/windows as one virtual device?
I did not know that.
Nice to know it... i have been looking to get an all CH setup.
But i think the saitek rudders pedals are better (wider + resistance dial)
And i HATE the CH hotas throttle.
It has like zero friction when i touch a show model at a shop.
I think if i blow hard enough i could get it to move? hahahaha

seriously, because of all the die-hard CH fans praising CH to the heavens and back, i am convinced that its good stuff.
But i would rather wait for CH to bring out a new hotas and new rudder pedals.
Asked for 2010 product details here: http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum...204-CH-products-2010 (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?7204-CH-products-2010)
but did not get real info.
Maybe if all you CH fans also post in the same thread we could get CH product manager to respond?

Black_Ops7
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
wow, Debby gave a honest answer in this thread:
http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum...204-CH-products-2010

sorry no new CH product hotas for 2010. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

horseback
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
After over seven years, my Pro Throttle has held up pretty well. On the other hand I don't think that throttle stiffness is a requirement, since the idea is for it to go where you put it & then stay there. It keeps that balance between giving you enough resistance that you know you're moving it, and staying where you moved it to when you've put your hand somewhere else.

I will point out that the samples stores leave out for the general public to handle aren't always in the best shape--floor samples are sometimes 'gutted' models with the springs and/or electronics removed.

cheers

horseback

TheGrunch
04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
I've heard that it's quite easy to alter the tension of the CH throttles as well, there are plenty of people willing to discuss ways to do this on the CH Hangar. I just don't like the straight throw of it, prefer a lever throw for throttles.

STENKA_69.GIAP
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Grunch - yes there is a programme to reallocate ID numbers but it worked at Windows 98 and not since. I've looked long and wide for a sequel but not found it yet so if you do - post up there are many happy seekers. Yes CH solution to combine devices onto a single virtual USB are good if you want to wed yourself to one manufacturer.... but

WTE_Galway
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
The CH pedals do have one Achilles heel .. the toe brakes will often stop working and need a minor repair job reattaching a small wire inside that comes loose/snaps.

But toe brakes are not a big issue in IL2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif