PDA

View Full Version : OberKommando in game. What Next?

PlanetOcean
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I picked up SHIII about a month ago and have completed 9 patrols, amassing a tonnage record of 270,000 tons. I've earned medals up to The Knights Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds. After my last patrol, the Kriegsmarine decided to pomote me to Commander Status. This was all done so at 32% realism (my first career).

When I start a mission now, I am no longer assigned any patrol grid (I'm assuming this is because a commander makes up his own assignments).

What do you guys do after achieving this status? Do you just go about patrols like usual? Do oberkommandos still earn renown for patrolling and docking at home base?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your replies.

Edit: I should add that although the paperwork and other in-game documents such as captain's log and breifings say "OberKommado", my official rank is still Leutnant, Sr. Awkward.

Liddabit
07-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Wow you got promoted? I've never made it past Kapitan-Lieutenant I think, I had thought that was highest! Neat I gotta keep playing an old career now :P

VikingGrandad
07-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the SH forums PlanetOcean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are you sure the rank you have been given is 'Oberkommando'? My understanding that this equates to 'Commander in Chief', which means you've effectively replaced Doenitz and will be too busy with strategic matters to captain a U-boat!

The ranks available for captains in SH3 are, from low to high:

* Leutnant z. S.
* Oberleutnant z. S.
* Kapitänleutnant
* Korvettenkapitän
* Fregattenkapitän
* Kapitän z. S.

Are you sure you're not getting 'Oberkommando' mixed up with 'Oberleutnant zur See'?

The highest rank I've ever achieved in a complete career (Sep 39 - May 45) was Kapitänleutnant (a highly unrealistic 2,469,232 tons sunk - nearly 10 times more than the top WW2 U-boat ace Fregattenkapitän Kretschmer!) I think I read of one member here who reached the rank of Korvettenkapitän.

You get the first promotion when you've accumulated 5,000 renown (not including any renown you've 'spent' on upgrades or new crew). The amount of renown you get for your achievements is affected by your difficulty level, so you generally have to sink more ships at 32% realism to get promoted than you would at higher difficulty settings.

For more info on promotions and renown calculation, check out these pages in the SH3 Community Manual:

Promotions (http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php/Promotions)

Renown (http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php/Renown)

I hope that helps!

Goose_Green
07-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I maybe a second forum member to have reached the rank of Korvettenkapitän. It only happened once and the career I had at the time spanned some 35 patrols. Of course that was in the early days of SH3 long before the uber mods.

gsc67
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
G-d I love this SIM...I still swab the decks of my own boat from the lack of respect of my crew, never mind reaching the rank of Korvettenkapitän...

PlanetOcean
07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi all thanks for you replies and welcomes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

My official rank is still a Senior Lt. in the game, for I have amasssed less than 15,000 renown.

However, my patrol logs and briefings all have "commander in chief" written on top of them (thanks for the translation VikingGrandad!). I stopped being assigned any patrol grids, and where it used to list a grid such as BE67 is now replaced by "Null" on my mission assignments.

Hmm, maybe it's a series of glitches or something. Thanks to everyone for responding!

Foehammer-1
07-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Are you manually sailing back to port? Are you using any mods? Null is assigned when you dock at a friendly port that is not your home port. For instance, if you sail out of Bergen in 11th flotilla, and dock at either a milk cow or any friendly port, your next patrol will be Null. You can change that with SH3 Commander. Also, I believe that if you select to start from a "friedly base" with commander, you will also get the null grid on the next patrol. Hope that helps

CapZap1970
07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PlanetOcean:
Hi all thanks for you replies and welcomes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

My official rank is still a Senior Lt. in the game, for I have amasssed less than 15,000 renown.

However, my patrol logs and briefings all have "commander in chief" written on top of them (thanks for the translation VikingGrandad!). I stopped being assigned any patrol grids, and where it used to list a grid such as BE67 is now replaced by "Null" on my mission assignments.

Hmm, maybe it's a series of glitches or something. Thanks to everyone for responding!
Oh, ok, now I get it.... what you are reading is the header of the brieffing page, where it says BdU Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote, or Commander in Chief of the Submarine Service.
It will always show every time you load a mission. That means that your orders come from the office of the Commander in Chief, not that you are the sucessor of Herr Admiral Doenitz.
As for the NULL grid, I don't know why it's not givin you a specific grid to patrol, but you can use SH3 Commander and assign your own patorl grid or change it if you don't like it.
I hope this helps you
CapZap

CapZap1970
07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Are you manually sailing back to port? Are you using any mods? Null is assigned when you dock at a friendly port that is not your home port. For instance, if you sail out of Bergen in 11th flotilla, and dock at either a milk cow or any friendly port, your next patrol will be Null. You can change that with SH3 Commander. Also, I believe that if you select to start from a "friedly base" with commander, you will also get the null grid on the next patrol. Hope that helps
Sorry Foehammer, I didn't see your post before answering.
CapZap

PlanetOcean
07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh, oops. Sorry guys. I understand now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif