PDA

View Full Version : how to reduce load times ?

e5kimo
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
i have the feeling that map loading has gone on to take longer and longer with every patch released. however it is not so much the map load that is starting to irritate me but rather the 2-4 minutes wait from clicking quit mission to the next briefing or another 2 minutes to get back to main menu.
it wasnt like this in FB or ace expansion i m sure.
what can i do to speed up the quit mission activity ?
i defragged, i reinstalled and short of adding another 512mb to bring me up to one gig i am running out of ideas.

e5kimo
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
i have the feeling that map loading has gone on to take longer and longer with every patch released. however it is not so much the map load that is starting to irritate me but rather the 2-4 minutes wait from clicking quit mission to the next briefing or another 2 minutes to get back to main menu.
it wasnt like this in FB or ace expansion i m sure.
what can i do to speed up the quit mission activity ?
i defragged, i reinstalled and short of adding another 512mb to bring me up to one gig i am running out of ideas.

SeaFireLIV
12-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Well I can almost guarantee more RAM will help. If you have 512meg already, another 256 should be enough, that`s your cheapest option, I reckon.

han freak solo
12-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I've got the same problem for both FB/AEP and PF. This is with 640 Meg of RAM.

Latico
12-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I've got 512 DDR RAM and If I understand correctly, that about the same as having a Gig. I too, am annoyed with wait time in this area

lipp98
12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I have 2gig it does wonders on load time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

heywooood
12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
well...I have a gig on a decent rig and the load times ARE taking alot longer...especially in campaign mode after flying a mission...click apply (or refly) and .....tick......tock...it is taking way longer now.

noshens
12-29-2004, 11:13 PM
more ram, faster cpu, faster hardrive.

heywooood
12-29-2004, 11:17 PM
yes ofcourse more ram will speed it up, but my point is that it was for me faster before the patches...3.01m slowed it down a little and now 3.03 has slowed it even further...something has changed and I would rather it be changed back so I dont HAVE to spend $$ on another gig.

noshens
12-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Well if you didn't change anything in your computer since getting the patches then the slow load times are not your fault. I don't see what you could do except reapplying the patches again or hoping the developers fix the problem.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noshens:
...or hoping the developers fix the problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may not be a problem. Let's face it, this game begs for 1 gig RAM. Any less and it crawls in most cases. There are few proggys that stress a rig more than Flight Sims.

If you're not running at least a 2.4 P4 (or equivalent), 1 gig RAM, 9800 pro or later (or NV equivalent) you're not going to get the performance you'd like.

I know this thread is referring to load times, but they go hand-in-glove with overall performance.

If you had more and faster RAM, a faster processor and 2 HD's in a striped RAID array, your load times would be much shorter.

I certainly don't mean to sound condescending. It's just the nature of the beast when referring to lagging performance of older pc's with newer game titles. It'll never change.

TB

e5kimo
12-30-2004, 12:55 PM
my system is not top of the line i admit (amd 64 3200, 512mb ddr400, fx5600) but i get decent performance when flying even on perfect. just quiting a mission is now mind numbingly slow. i know that upgrading to 1gig is what i have to do and will do so as soon as i have some time to shop for another 512 stick. until then i was hoping there were some parameters that could be set to speed the mission quit up a little.

Weather_Man
12-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Since PF, the quit times have been drastically longer. Nothing you can do about that. I think there's just a lot more info being written to the log file, or they've changed how it writes to it.

For loading times in general, the only thing you can do to increase it is to increase RAM up to 1GB minimum, get a faster HDD, or more throughput from the HDD by RAID 0 configuration. I think the RAID is what helps the most.

Here's some times I get with an XP3200+, 1GB pc3200, 2x80 GB 7200rpm SATA in RAID 0:

time from click on desktop .exe to main screen: 16 seconds

time from hitting fly to load okinawa map in campaign: 20 seconds

time to quit campaign back to arming screen: 10 seconds (this has been as much as 30 sec)

FoolTrottel
12-30-2004, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
(...)
If you're not running at least a 2.4 P4 (or equivalent), 1 gig RAM, 9800 pro or later (or NV equivalent) you're not going to get the performance you'd like.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a 2.4 P4, 1 gig RAM... and a TI-4200 and I DO get the performance I like!

Pressing Apply, Next or Refly (never have used that one though, what does that do anyways? ;-) will take some time.... but hey, gives me a chance to:
1. Open up another beer
2. Light another cigatette
3. (...)

BTW Anyone know what a 9800Pro costs these days?

(Disclaimer: This post is not intended to encourage you to consume alcohol. This post is not intended to encourage you to start/keep/give excuse not to stop smoking, and this post is not intende to encourage you to (...)

plumps_
12-30-2004, 05:26 PM
My guess about the long waiting times after you quit a dynamically generated campaign mission: FB/PF takes as much of the computer's resources as it can get. The problem here is that the campaign missions are not generated and analyzed by FB/PF itself but by DGen.exe, which is actually an external program. Any other program you start while FB/PF is running will take very long to initialize, and so does DGen.

I do have 1 GB of RAM and the waiting times are still very long.