PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Climb tactics

FatBoyHK
01-31-2005, 01:37 AM
When defending against light, TnB fighter (spit, 109) on a heavy, E fighter (Jug, Pony), zoom climb is one of the edge I should exploit. But how to do it correctly? If the bandit is right behind me a zoom climb will very likely be a suicide. Should I try a dive first, build some extension, before I zoom up? or any other advice?

OldMan____
01-31-2005, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
When defending against light, TnB fighter (spit, 109) on a heavy, E fighter (Jug, Pony), zoom climb is one of the edge I should exploit. But how to do it correctly? If the bandit is right behind me a zoom climb will very likely be a suicide. Should I try a dive first, build some extension, before I zoom up? or any other advice? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't think you should ever do it unless you loose it for a few moments. or you know he is rolled sidesway and cannot follow you imediately (not useful against FW190 and some other fast roll fighters)

VF-29_Sandman
01-31-2005, 06:38 AM
it was said that p-38's serving in the pto was advised not to exceed 20 or 30 degrees nose-up in the climb.

BelaLvgosi
01-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Oh, remember that most probably those light fighters will be way faster than you in a 90º zoom climb with their better acceleration.
One of the only situations were I risk that is in a k4 or any other late 109G to escape a fighter with only mgs, even a p51 (provided he hasn't a huge E advantage), because I'm sure I'll go higher than him and fall over him after he has to quit the climb. And even while he's climbing behind me, he'll need some shooting time to bring me down from dead 6 while struggling to keep the climb, so I'll most probably be tagged but not killed.
Now if it's a spit with twin cannons, he'll surely kill me before he has to drop the climb.
So, in an heavier plane with much less climb than your pursuer, you'll probably end up killed very quick, and even if he overshoots, he'll gain a lot E advantage over you and probably kill you back in the descent or regain 6 and a better angle.

Heavy_Weather
01-31-2005, 06:52 AM
if all possible, enter the fight with an advantage in altitude, that way you can dive down and climb back up. if the opponent is on your six, then again if all possible, enter a shallow dive til at least you can notice a difference in distance between you and him and slowly spiral climb away til you can start over. all this of course will be happening real fast and most give in to turn fighting, but if you stay with the altitude advantage you will almost always win. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Diablo310th
01-31-2005, 07:05 AM
In game a zoom climb will not work for the reasons given. I would extend in a shallow dive then zoom climb back up and spiral while looking to re-engage.

JG7_Rall
01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Zoom climb wont work because of the way the game is modelled...ie you wont be able to build up any sort of instantaneous alt advantage from exploiting a plane's great zoom climb. Never do it with a bandit on your six, you can however use it pretty effectively if he isn't directly on your six and can't pull an angle for a shot. Also, if the bogey is way far behind you, you can zoomclimb but keep pulling up so you're almost going back towards him. Don't keep pulling and burning E, just turn enough so he only has two options: pull really hard and burn all his E in order to obtain a high degree deflection shot (most ppl try to do this and miss, and then you'll have an even greater E advantage) or he'll overshoot, where you can begin to slowely climb and get your alt advantage back.

robban75
01-31-2005, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
When defending against light, TnB fighter (spit, 109) on a heavy, E fighter (Jug, Pony), zoom climb is one of the edge I should exploit. But how to do it correctly? If the bandit is right behind me a zoom climb will very likely be a suicide. Should I try a dive first, build some extension, before I zoom up? or any other advice? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have alt to spare, and if your plane has a dive acceleration that is superior to your adversary, dive away and extend, don't do go vertical, just extend till he get's bored and turns around. Then zoom to altitude, accelerate to speed and run him down from your new/better position! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Beware that the Jug has a rather poor dive acceleration, and so don't expect to leave your opponent behind just like that. The Jug is only superior to the Spitfire and 109 when the dive is commenced at very high speeds.

The Mustang is better IMO, although it cannot reach as high speeds as the Jug in the dives, its dive acceleration is better. The only fighters that can catch the Mustang in the initial stage is the Fw 190D-9 and La-7, also beware of the Yak-3 and Yak-9U, they can reach very high diving speeds and their dive acceleration is also very good so be careful.

But don't zoom to alt, even though you might be able to reach higher altitudes in the zoom comapared to your opponent, it's much too risky IMO, the Spitfire and 109 can hang in their props for long enough times to shoot you down on the top of your zoom. So, instead just walk away from them.