PDA

View Full Version : Big Disappointment

slayera0370
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Finally got Assassin's Creed and was not impressed. The jumping back and forth between the future and past was just dumb, it would have been better if the whole story would have just been focused on the past. The flags and templars do nothing, no reward or nothing. The missions start to get repeative after the third one. For the PC you can tell the controls are just a port, comb buttoning. And 11 things to do before you can quit? OMG, lame. What is the point of pushing and trying to be low profile, it affects all most nothing. Speed and combat are the main focus. So much the sneak and stealth. There is a lack interactivity and hardly any rooms you can enter. The game is neither hard or challenging, well maybe the controls are. Feels like is it was made for kids to play. Since when does acid of death look like water? The memory errors and glitches are really distracting from the past feel.
I was impressed with the lighting, some of the outdoor graphics, and the shadows are clean. The historical setting was good. Climbing towers to map out an area was innovative, but there were too many per towns.

Some suggestions for part 2-
Being able to hide in shadows or rooms.
Interactive stuff like pots and vases you can throw to distract or **** off guards.
More sneak and stealth.
On top of pick pocketing, hiding objectives in chests, rooms, book, safes with lock picking.
Day for finding locations or meeting people and night for sneaking round, taking stuff and killing.
Bows and arrows and throwing knifes that work.
Puzzles like keys and levers or moving stuff to jump up higher for example.
Better controls for the PC.
Skill level settings.
Make flags and templars mean something, like unlocking extra locations or power ups.
Better control over fighting.

slayera0370
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Finally got Assassin's Creed and was not impressed. The jumping back and forth between the future and past was just dumb, it would have been better if the whole story would have just been focused on the past. The flags and templars do nothing, no reward or nothing. The missions start to get repeative after the third one. For the PC you can tell the controls are just a port, comb buttoning. And 11 things to do before you can quit? OMG, lame. What is the point of pushing and trying to be low profile, it affects all most nothing. Speed and combat are the main focus. So much the sneak and stealth. There is a lack interactivity and hardly any rooms you can enter. The game is neither hard or challenging, well maybe the controls are. Feels like is it was made for kids to play. Since when does acid of death look like water? The memory errors and glitches are really distracting from the past feel.
I was impressed with the lighting, some of the outdoor graphics, and the shadows are clean. The historical setting was good. Climbing towers to map out an area was innovative, but there were too many per towns.

Interactive stuff like pots and vases you can throw to distract or **** off guards.
More sneak and stealth.
On top of pick pocketing, hiding objectives in chests, rooms, book, safes with lock picking.
Day for finding locations or meeting people and night for sneaking round, taking stuff and killing.
Skill level settings.
Make flags and templars mean something, like unlocking extra locations or power ups.
Better control over fighting.

Tela
10-13-2008, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slayera0370:
The jumping back and forth between the future and past was just dumb, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A matter of opinion. Some liked it, some did not. It's just the way the story turned out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The flags and templars do nothing, no reward or nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reward or anything, thank you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
For the 360 version you get achievements, but other than that nothing, unfortunately. -_-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And 11 things to do before you can quit? OMG, lame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

11? I only had to do 4 or 5. &gt;_&gt;
hmmm... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What is the point of pushing and trying to be low profile, it affects all most nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes the missions easier. *shrug*
It's a bit difficult to pickpocket someone, or otherwise gather information, when someone is suspicious of you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Speed and combat are the main focus. So much the sneak and stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AC is not, and never was, a stealth game. It wasn't meant to be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since when does acid of death look like water? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever played Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness? XD
Kidding. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Consider where and when the game takes place. Few, if any, people probably knew how to swim back then. It wouldn't have been necessary to learn, since there was something of a lack of water(there's water in the game, yes, but why would they swim in it? I'm sure it went to use for other, more important things).

The only place where they might know how to swim, would be Acre, but Masyaf isn't terribly close to that city.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Climbing towers to map out an area was innovative, but there were too many per towns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. They're big cities. There would be plenty of room for lots of towers and other clime-able, tall buildings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Being able to hide in shadows or rooms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds a bit too much like a stealth game. If that's what you want, I direct you to a game that is actually stealth based, which AC is not. &gt;_&gt;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
More sneak and stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> night for sneaking round, taking stuff and killing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole point of the assassins in the game was public assassination, not in the night with no one around or to witness the killing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bows and arrows and throwing knifes that work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The throwing knives work perfectly fine if you use them correctly, which isn't difficult. Why would you need something obvious like a bow and arrows, when you have something you can more easily hide on your person, and is just as effective, like throwing knives?

grashopper
10-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow Tela...covered pretty much everything there didn't ya http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ScytheOfGrim
10-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Covered everything, but how effectively did she do so? Hmm?

AC is not, and never was, a stealth game. It wasn't meant to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... social stealth: one of the game's focuses.

There are two or three more responses that fall under that general fact, and I'm sure you have the ability to find them out yourself.

I'm lazy... &gt;_&gt;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Assassin's Creed is a third-person stealth game in which the player primarily assumes the role of Alta´r as experienced by Desmond. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First sentence under "Gameplay" in Wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed)

Tela
10-14-2008, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:

AC is not, and never was, a stealth game. It wasn't meant to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I meant. -_-

What slayera0370 was describing sounded like the typcal creeping-through-the-shadows stealth, and I was saying that AC is not that kind of game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif -_-

ScytheOfGrim
10-14-2008, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> AC is not, and never was, a stealth game. It wasn't meant to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Step 2... got it?

And finally...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's what I meant. -_- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha...

So it's not a stealth game, but a stealth game.
Instead of doing stealthy things, you run around doing stealthy things.

I get what you're saying.

So let's go back a bit, shall we?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Covered everything, but how effectively did she do so? Hmm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you see where this is headed?

My point isn't whether you're right or wrong, it's about how you tried to correct the "wrongs".

Don't make me go into specific explanations, please, I'm not in the mood for long posts... -__-

Tela
10-14-2008, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's what I meant. -_- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha...

Instead of doing stealthy things, you run around doing stealthy things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't twist my words, Boney One. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Don't make me go into specific explanations, please, I'm not in the mood for long posts... -__- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you say at the end of a long post. &gt;_&gt;

ScytheOfGrim
10-14-2008, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tela:

Aha...

Instead of doing stealthy things, you run around doing stealthy things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't twist my words, Boney One. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Don't make me go into specific explanations, please, I'm not in the mood for long posts... -__- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you say at the end of a long post. &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I twisted nothing.
I merely placed your words into context.

That post really isn't long.
Remember that you have all those quotes, which were copy/pasted (with style, may I add), and lines that consist of only a few words.

Yeah, whatever... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Vendetta11
10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slayera0370:

More sneak and stealth.
Skill level settings.
Better control over fighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Assassin's Creed is dissapointed in you for not liking the game.

BSoD
10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I think its different in an person's opinion of 'stealth games'. For me, PoP: t2t is NOT a stealth game, even tho they have speed kills which use the stealth. For me, Splinter cell is a stealth game. AC is only partially a stealth game. But, Social stealth can't last forever, You're in a crowd , the public, carrying weapons and looking like an assassin. The only stealth aspect i found in the game was the hidden blade and the rooftops. the hidden blade was the only thing that is not visible and is an assassin weapon and the rooftops helps you avoid the crowd and gives the stealthy part. Btw, Another example which shows that AC is not a stealth game is the opening cinematics. Where altair has the crossbow. He went head on against the guards. How is that stealth, or social Stealth?

My point is, I don't think AC is a stealth game. He is an assassin because he kill people and assassin doesn't need to hide his work.

I have a question for the topic starter. How do you implement stealth in a game which consist of big towns and crowds? You literally stick out like a blade in the town with all the weapon hanging around you. You look different from everyone in the game. Considering that the robes look nicer and much more expensive than those robes which the people in the rich district wear. And regarding the futuristic aspect, everyone has their own ideas on wad is nice. Take the PoP next gen. Some like the new graphic (like me XD.), some hate it. But, the futuristic aspect add more to the storyline, More to the depth of the story. I mean, the story of the assassin clan itself was already a big conspiracy. But, if you zoom out on the whole thing, you can see that the whole abstergo was a conspiracy in itself. So, you have 2 conspiracies, 2 storyline, unraveling in your hands. Thats how i view AC, thats why i love AC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Pardon my long post XD.

KPPGNO
10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
wow..people still play AC...yeesh...dont you guys even like any of the other games out? I stopped playing AC a while ago cause of the garbage repetivness...i duno how people can still play it so much, nothing to do...expect..climb things..and kill people...thats all!...BORING!..the side missions are all the same...so no point in adding that..

but i can tell you...first time i got that game...i was like a kid on christmas morning

Vendetta11
10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KPPGNO:
wow..people still play AC...yeesh...dont you guys even like any of the other games out? I stopped playing AC a while ago cause of the garbage repetivness...i duno how people can still play it so much, nothing to do...expect..climb things..and kill people...thats all!...BORING!..the side missions are all the same...so no point in adding that..

but i can tell you...first time i got that game...i was like a kid on christmas morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm. Even if we are not playing AC, doesn't mean we cannot come back to this forum and enjoy each other's company.....

Just so you know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

BSoD
10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
I play it because i realised i missed out on quite somethings in AC. i missed out dialogues and al mualim's lectures sound like gibberish the first time to me. But now, i can understand what he is trying to say. AC still has some replay value in it.

TokyoPoliceClub
10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I twisted nothing.I merely placed your words into context. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion twisting words could be defined as using words/statements in a way so that the meanings behind them are blurred and by doing so you render them ambiguous.
As much as I'd love to argue symantics that wouldn't be on topic.

As far as the controls they were a port, good call. Welcome to pc gaming, a land where poorly ported games roam freely.

As it's been stated already, AC was not a stealth game per se. You weren't meant to be entirely secretive about the killings.

Throwing knives worked fine except for when one occasionally slipped out when I went for my short blade. Hardly a reason to demerit a game if you ask me. A bow and arrow would be useless at best if you ask me.

With all of your talk about puzzles, power ups, and hiding/gaining items it sounds to me like you have a completely genre of games in mind.

If you took out the Desmond/future aspect of the game it would be sorely lacking in the story section. Without a parallel plotline the game's story would've been as shallow as a frying pan.

I did hate the poor combat, bugs/glitches (none of which I experienced but Ubi's lack of support was irritating), lack of skill settings, poor controls, altairs american accent, the, dare I say it, stealth system, and how repetitive the game was. I'm willing to allow most of these faults though because the game was immersive.

I welcome you to twist any of my phrases as well grim. I'll give you a head start.

Time Around Start You Twisting You Words Typing Stop The Should. <STRIKE>Around The Time You Start Twisting Words You Should Stop Typing.</STRIKE>

Long post, sorry.

schnacky
10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TokyoPoliceClub:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I twisted nothing.I merely placed your words into context. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion twisting words could be defined as using words/statements in a way so that the meanings behind them are blurred and by doing so you render them ambiguous.
As much as I'd love to argue symantics that wouldn't be on topic.

yeah this is a freakin horrible game...i want a refund!

As far as the controls they were a port, good call. Welcome to pc gaming, a land where poorly ported games roam freely.

As it's been stated already, AC was not a stealth game per se. You weren't meant to be entirely secretive about the killings.

Throwing knives worked fine except for when one occasionally slipped out when I went for my short blade. Hardly a reason to demerit a game if you ask me. A bow and arrow would be useless at best if you ask me.

With all of your talk about puzzles, power ups, and hiding/gaining items it sounds to me like you have a completely genre of games in mind.

If you took out the Desmond/future aspect of the game it would be sorely lacking in the story section. Without a parallel plotline the game's story would've been as shallow as a frying pan.

I did hate the poor combat, bugs/glitches (none of which I experienced but Ubi's lack of support was irritating), lack of skill settings, poor controls, altairs american accent, the, dare I say it, stealth system, and how repetitive the game was. I'm willing to allow most of these faults though because the game was immersive.

I welcome you to twist any of my phrases as well grim. I'll give you a head start.

Time Around Start You Twisting You Words Typing Stop The Should. <STRIKE>Around The Time You Start Twisting Words You Should Stop Typing.</STRIKE>

Long post, sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTOG46
10-17-2008, 10:43 PM
schnacky, would you like to achieve the ultimate experience here? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Would you like to be martyred? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
I can easily help you off this mortal coil. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
And I'll do it for you if that's what you really want............ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Just put your head under this ban hammer, I promise it won't hurt...well, maybe a little. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif