PDA

View Full Version : New video card for older machine

catrevey
08-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I would like to purchase a new video card for a machine which is still good but three years old in the technology race. Any help or comments would be helpful and I will list below the components of my present machine.
Pentium 4 processor 2.4 GHz
1024 MB DDR SDRAM
80GB UATA100 7200RPM hard drive
Windows XP home edition
64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 graphics card
20" CRT monitor
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Salute http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

HoneySeeker
08-20-2005, 04:41 PM
If your motherboard has an AGP slot then you still have the option of some pretty tasty ATI and nVidia cards, in the GeForce 6800/Radeon 9800/X800 range. If it's PCI-only then things get a little less rosy, but you can still pick up something like a Sapphire Radeon 9250, or an nVidia FX5200.

And let's face it - whatever you get will be a huge improvement on your current card. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FoolTrottel
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
If AGP slot available: 9800Pro.
(Best match in my opinion)

Have Fun!

JunkoIfurita
08-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Whatever you get WILL be an improvement on your current card, true - but depending on your AGP bandwidth, it may not make sense to get a top of the line card.

Check your motherboard (assuming it supports AGP) - does it have a maximum of AGP 4x, or AGP 8x?

If you're up to AGP 8x, then by all means pick up an X800 or a 6800 (or even a 9800Pro, I've heard good things about those. The 9600XT has a 500MHz core clock, which is almost as fast as the X800 and much cheaper).

If you're only on AGP 4x, then a brand new series card isn't going to perform at the levels it should be able to. Your AGP Bandwidth simply can't transfer data fast enough to keep up with the card. Therefore, it'd be a waste of money on your part.

If you're on AGP 4x, the fastest card I could reccomend would be a 9600XT, a 6600 (not the GT), or a GeForce FX5700 (I personally had this card until recently, and it's a piece of junk, but at least it won't be outperforming your motherboard).

Or you could always pick up a Matrox Parhelia, and run 3 monitors http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif There a quite a few people in this community who run Sturmovik in panorama view.

----

fordfan25
08-20-2005, 07:47 PM
ok if your planning to build a new pc in the next little bit id say just hunt up a 9600xt or some other card you can find cheap. once you build a new pc youd be silly not to go pciE. so then what ever card you get now will be useless. so spending 200 dollers just would be a waist. now if your not going to upgrade any time soon id say maby a 9800pro if you can find one below 150$ or a 6600gt wich is a great card that goes for around 180$ you could always buy a 6600gt now and if you do diside to build a new rig in 4 or 5 mounths try to sell it on ebay or what ever.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Another vote for the 9800pro. The price on these cards has dropped significantly and they have very good performance for the price. It'll also match up with your system nicely. You could go with one of the newer cards but I think you're better off putting the difference toward a new machine in the future rather than going with a high end card now.

AirborneCoyote
08-21-2005, 02:31 AM
I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but how hard would it be to go from Nvidia to ATI, do you think?

I'm thinking about upgrading my machine. =( I just got the dang thing and it's already obsolete.

...As is the life of a PC gamer....

FoolTrottel
08-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by AirborneCoyote:
I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but how hard would it be to go from Nvidia to ATI, do you think?
(..)....

No problem at all. (I did that 2 months ago)
As long as you uninstall Nvidia video drivers (use Driver Cleaner Pro) before installing the ATI-card, install the ATI card, then install ATI drivers, change your video settings in IL2Setup and yer good to go.

CapBackassward
08-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I just put a Nvidia 6600 on my 4x AGP board, in fact, my system is similiar to yours. It's 3 years old and I refuse to upgrade until the next generation of Windows and BoB comes along.

I had an ATI 9600 XT before patch 4.01. The patch hit me hard with the new clouds and FM's. I said, 'What the hell. I'll put a 6600 card in my old rig and if it doesn't do any good, I can use the card on my next machine.' Well, it did make a difference. I get 6 to 7 more FPS, and where I use to get the stutters (low FPS), I now get smooth performance with a lot of stuff going on. I can play in excellent mode 1024 x 768 and the game looks and plays very well.

Rick