PDA

View Full Version : Event log: level of detail

shd01
12-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi,

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to have lower-level events in the event log? Specifically, I think you get an event when you destroy a ground target, but not when you damage one. It would be great to have the damage too.

Please feel free to tell me to RTFM or RTFF ;-) I have looked quite hard for the answer though and not found it on the forums.

shd01
12-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi,

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to have lower-level events in the event log? Specifically, I think you get an event when you destroy a ground target, but not when you damage one. It would be great to have the damage too.

Please feel free to tell me to RTFM or RTFF ;-) I have looked quite hard for the answer though and not found it on the forums.

Jetbuff
12-26-2005, 07:07 PM
No, you're right there is some sparsity here. Of course, most ground objects seem to follow an all-or-nothing rule, i.e. you achieve a certain threshold it is destroyed, below that, nothing. (except for some ships)

It would also be welcome if we could get the exact type of damage inflicted for aircraft at least. And, last but not least, why are all the map and placable objects not recorded when destroyed?

LEXX_Luthor
12-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Buff:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why are all the map and placable objects not recorded when destroyed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When destroyed, objects placed by Mission Editor were recorded as destroyed in ye olde DOS Su-27 Flaker 1.0 sim from 1995, and the destroying plane and weapon used were recorded. So, it is possible, at least a century ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jetbuff
12-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I know Lexx, it's a design decision albeit an inexplicable one. Perhaps the much higher fidelity of ground object modelling weighs on multiplayer games?

shd01
01-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Update:

I was playing dogfight01 with my son, we were both dropping torpedos and recording a .ntrk

When I played back his recording, watching me, I saw the torpedo disappear from my plane. It didn't fall through the air, nor did it make a wake in the water. Some time later, though, an explosion occurred on the ship.

That's got me thinking - maybe the torpedo hit is stored as an event in the .ntrk file. And if so, perhaps some nice person could do a program to print them out. Would be tough to do without knowing the file format, though.

KG26_Alpha
01-04-2006, 09:04 AM
.ntrk = encrypted http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

CARBONFREEZE
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shd01:
Update:

I was playing dogfight01 with my son, we were both dropping torpedos and recording a .ntrk

When I played back his recording, watching me, I saw the torpedo disappear from my plane. It didn't fall through the air, nor did it make a wake in the water. Some time later, though, an explosion occurred on the ship.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are playing with a netspeed setting of less than LAN sometimes dropped objects (bombs/torpedos or droptanks) will dissapear. I believe this is to reduce lag issues in online play, but you will still see the effect of dropped munitions such as bomb explosions.