PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users - Myst 4 Crash solution?

aartz
10-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Hello all,

I recently had a big problem with Myst 4 crashing to the desktop frequently with no apparent cause. This would happen repeatedly over and over again on certain screens (ie, specific areas in Myst) One of the offending screens was in the wooden ship where the "poison gas" in a bottle is. I tried all different resolutions, enabling/disabling effects to no avail... it would always crash over and over.

Fearing that I was missing important information in the game (everything is a clue after all!) I resorted to looking into OS 10.3.5's crash log. EUREKA!!! Unsanity's ShapeShifter Application Enhancer (APE) showed up in the kernel dump several times. I have had problems with this program before, so this was the last straw... I searched and deleted everything with "ape" and "unsanity".

My game works perfectly! I have not had a problem since. I hope that Ubisoft sees this so that they can hopefully issue a patch or at least let other Mac users that this could be a conflicting program. I did notice that every screen that I could not access (because of the crash) had a specific effect involved - the wavy "lightheaded" effect (hence the poison gas in a bottle room in the ship.) My guess is that ShapeShifter was running in the background and really didn't like this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hope this helps, please let me know if this solves anybody else's problem...

Now on with the game!

PB 867Mhz
768MB RAM
OSX 10.3.5 (7M34)
32MB ATI Radeon 9000
(And it actually runs pretty darn good!)

aartz
10-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Hello all,

I recently had a big problem with Myst 4 crashing to the desktop frequently with no apparent cause. This would happen repeatedly over and over again on certain screens (ie, specific areas in Myst) One of the offending screens was in the wooden ship where the "poison gas" in a bottle is. I tried all different resolutions, enabling/disabling effects to no avail... it would always crash over and over.

Fearing that I was missing important information in the game (everything is a clue after all!) I resorted to looking into OS 10.3.5's crash log. EUREKA!!! Unsanity's ShapeShifter Application Enhancer (APE) showed up in the kernel dump several times. I have had problems with this program before, so this was the last straw... I searched and deleted everything with "ape" and "unsanity".

My game works perfectly! I have not had a problem since. I hope that Ubisoft sees this so that they can hopefully issue a patch or at least let other Mac users that this could be a conflicting program. I did notice that every screen that I could not access (because of the crash) had a specific effect involved - the wavy "lightheaded" effect (hence the poison gas in a bottle room in the ship.) My guess is that ShapeShifter was running in the background and really didn't like this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hope this helps, please let me know if this solves anybody else's problem...

Now on with the game!

PB 867Mhz
768MB RAM
OSX 10.3.5 (7M34)
32MB ATI Radeon 9000
(And it actually runs pretty darn good!)

maztec
10-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Awesome to hear.

Moral of the story is disable apps running in the background.

I'll pass this along.