PDA

View Full Version : Did British tugboats win the war for us?

PoweredBySoy
08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
So I just started playing SH3 again. Oh how I've missed this game.

I installed the GW supermod, along with SH3 Commander, and started up my first campaign. About two days into my first patrol, my boys were getting bored. So I decided to surface and do some target practice on a lone British tug. After over 20 HE shells from the deck gun and a torpedo in it's stern, the little boat kept on chuggin' away at 4 knots.

Is there some setting in the mod that nerfed the deck gun? I surely don't remember it being so ineffective before. Most of the shells hit the waterline too. And I'm no navel expert, but it also seems really unrealistic.

Any thoughts or strategies? Or is this normal?

tuddley3
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
wELCOME bACK, sh3 IS LIKE A DRUG AINT IT. i'M HOOKED, AND WITH EVERY NEW MOD INSTALLED, IS LIKE JUST ONE MORE bONG hIT. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

iT'S THE WAY gw'S WAS MADE. TRY OVER FIFTY SHOTS FOR SOME MERCHANTS & CARGO.

[Elite]cobrae
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Just run it over ... usually works for me lol ... Tugs and trawlers dont stand a chance

PoweredBySoy
08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Disturbing.

Foehammer-1
08-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Im so confused i feel like a hungry baby in a topless club.

Disturbing indeed. As for the original post, I haven't bothered with the deck gun when I used GW. It's useless.

[Elite]cobrae
08-18-2006, 08:47 PM
just my sig ... i havent used this account in ages ... I didnt evn notice that was stil there

PoweredBySoy
08-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:

As for the original post, I haven't bothered with the deck gun when I used GW. It's useless.

Which brings me to a couple questions:

1) Was this historically accurate? Were deck guns really just pea shooters?

2) Does anyone know if it's possible to just go into the .ini files and raise the deck guns power? What parameters would need to be changed?

Thanks.

Bubblehead1948
08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Ahh... C'mon. The truth always lies somewhere between the two extremes. I've sunk wounded merchants in GW using a 10.5cm gun. You have to pay attention to certain things. Aim for the waterline. Dont waste ammo feeding it to the superstructure. Yes it will take more than a few shots.

I dont know how the tugboat managed to absorb a torpedo, although ocean going tugs are much larger than the harbor variety. My guess would be a pre or post contact detonation. But that is just speculation.

Carotio
08-19-2006, 09:59 AM
You could also use my GW add on.
In this the necessary amount of ammo needed is for the smaller ships and tankers as original!

GW used NYGM 1st vulnaribilty settings!

Danelov
08-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Well the 88mm was a good naval cannon and several merchants were, specially at early time, 1940-1941, destroyed only with shells.Certainly was not installed there for artillery duel or engaging warships a discretion. Was a complement of the standard armament of torpedo.The cannon was much more utilised in WWI by the Kaiseliches Marine U-Boots.As example Topp U-552,Brandi U-617,Korth U-93,Hardegen U-123,Schudhart U-29 or Luth U-181 had utilised the sole cannon for some sinkings.Then, from 1943 with the adition of more AAA weapons and for reason of weight the cannons were discarted.
The history of the tug , surprise me, in general with not more of 8 shells a 500-1000 m was largely enough to send this type of vessel to the bottom.