PDA

View Full Version : Ground Personnel et al..........

SierraThunder1
08-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi, I'm not new to IL2, just to the forums. And while I generally just enjoy the hell out of the original IL2 & the subsequent offshoots (FB, AEP, PF....)I can only find one thing to pitch a gripe about...the decided lack of ground personnel, infantry troops, artillery crews & the like. I'm sure that I'm not the first to make this observation or complaint, but in older WWII flight sims (and I'll use European Air War as a prime example, which I still play & enjoy quite well)there were people on the ground. If you either were on a bombing or strafing run for either airfield structures, armor columns, artillery emplacments or train and/or truck convoys & you were making hits, you began to see personnel running like hell to get out of there, granted they weren't all that defined, but you could see them scattering none the less & if an AI aircraft was damaged but managed to make a relatively safe landing you'd see the flight crews getting out to make their escape. It's bad enough that you don't see anyone driving the vehicles in any version of IL2 (the fact that the wheeled & tracked vehicles have no moving drives & look most of the time like a bad claymation film when they are moving is another issue in itself), but artillery is unmanned, with no support personnel, gun crews, or even ordanance crates or vehicles about them, cities, towns, military installations are unpopulated, ships, large & small, all these look like R/C controlled toys as there are no crew on the decks. Surely for for all the work that has been done to make this flight sim the success that it is, then doesn't someone else aside from me think that humans could be placed into the mix to provide you with the feeling that you are fighting something other than a computer program that throws rounds at you ?
If I possessed the skills to create moving people as supporting ground objects to populate the game I would happily do so to give out *** an add-on, unfortunately I don't, but is there some chance that this problem will be addressed in some future patch, mod or add-on, or has someone already created this mod or add-on & I just haven't found the site where I could get it ?

[Other than that I enjoy IL2 immensely & for a number of different reasons. WWI & WWII flight sims are the only ones I've ever cared to play, modern a/c flight sims just don't make it for me, what fun or danger is really involved when you can target & kill your opponents from miles away & vice versa ?]

SierraThunder1
08-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi, I'm not new to IL2, just to the forums. And while I generally just enjoy the hell out of the original IL2 & the subsequent offshoots (FB, AEP, PF....)I can only find one thing to pitch a gripe about...the decided lack of ground personnel, infantry troops, artillery crews & the like. I'm sure that I'm not the first to make this observation or complaint, but in older WWII flight sims (and I'll use European Air War as a prime example, which I still play & enjoy quite well)there were people on the ground. If you either were on a bombing or strafing run for either airfield structures, armor columns, artillery emplacments or train and/or truck convoys & you were making hits, you began to see personnel running like hell to get out of there, granted they weren't all that defined, but you could see them scattering none the less & if an AI aircraft was damaged but managed to make a relatively safe landing you'd see the flight crews getting out to make their escape. It's bad enough that you don't see anyone driving the vehicles in any version of IL2 (the fact that the wheeled & tracked vehicles have no moving drives & look most of the time like a bad claymation film when they are moving is another issue in itself), but artillery is unmanned, with no support personnel, gun crews, or even ordanance crates or vehicles about them, cities, towns, military installations are unpopulated, ships, large & small, all these look like R/C controlled toys as there are no crew on the decks. Surely for for all the work that has been done to make this flight sim the success that it is, then doesn't someone else aside from me think that humans could be placed into the mix to provide you with the feeling that you are fighting something other than a computer program that throws rounds at you ?
If I possessed the skills to create moving people as supporting ground objects to populate the game I would happily do so to give out *** an add-on, unfortunately I don't, but is there some chance that this problem will be addressed in some future patch, mod or add-on, or has someone already created this mod or add-on & I just haven't found the site where I could get it ?

[Other than that I enjoy IL2 immensely & for a number of different reasons. WWI & WWII flight sims are the only ones I've ever cared to play, modern a/c flight sims just don't make it for me, what fun or danger is really involved when you can target & kill your opponents from miles away & vice versa ?]

Utchoud
08-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Hi & welcome,

The game includes lots of soldiers and ground personnel, you just have to switch them on. Find the conf.ini file in the main directory of the game, and to the section headed by [game] add a line "3dgunners=1".

My conf.ini, for example, has the [game] section as follows:

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.66875
mapPadY=-0.046666667
viewSet=49
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=1
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=1
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=1
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">3dgunners=1</span>
TypeClouds=1

Then the artillery and vehicles will be manned, and you will find crews at the ships' AA stations.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/Utchoud/3dgunners1.jpg

The feature is optional, because it slightly increases requirements on hardware. Some older objects in the game (german and soviet guns) that were created before this feature was added, don't have personnel even with 3dgunners on.

I experienced many times that in strafing runs, soldiers are running away from their vehicles. This has been in the game since the original Il-2, I think.

Have fun

Utchoud