PDA

View Full Version : Landing on rough terrain

blakduk
02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Does anyone here have tips on landing aircraft on rough terrain?
In a few campaigns i've been required to land on rough strips and i cant do it without tipping the plane over.
I even had trouble in the Wings over Waves campaign landing a Dauntless on a jungle strip- and taking off was a nightmare as well.

I've tried landing at just above stalling speed and 'flopping' onto the ground but tend to just sanp the undercarriage. I've also tried landing as smoothly as i can and try to let the thing slow down naturally. I usually end up inverted.
The campaigns always indicate that i've completed the mission but it kills the immersion knowing i have rendered the thing unusable.
As for taking off, i've found the only way to get a tail dragger into the air on rough terrain is to let the speed build up while holding the tail down, letting it get in the air ever so slightly, the skimming along just above the ground to get enough airspeed up.
It seems quite contrary to what i've learned about real aircraft.

Taylortony
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I keep the stick fully back

Bremspropeller
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Try to belly-land with your gear up.

Fireball_
02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I hardly ever am successful in landing on something other than a runway. A lot of times I come close and think I'm about to make it, but it always ends up tipping over on it's nose.

Swivet
02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Know your aircraft,,feel it floating to the ground,always use small movements when close to the ground.once you feel the wheels lightly tap the ground reduce throttle and pull back and gently tap the brakes....takes a bit of practice,,,,but once you get it you will be landing like the AI planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Esel1964
02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
The one I've never pulled off is in offline play:J8A w/skies on Moscow 1 map.I've yet to land anywhere other than a prepared strip,w/o nosing over. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

leitmotiv
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Safety First: belly in---no matter how good you are, a rough terrain landing is a roll of the dice.

general_kalle
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
most Tricicle (nosewheel) gear planes can do the landing but if your in a conventional gear plane you should rather belly land it with gear up

F19_Ob
02-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Some planes seemingly bump more, wich may have something to do with weight. They risk nosing over.

Atleast Light planes like the ki-27 and I-153 can be landed quite easily on terrain.
Best way I know is to be really slow before touchdown and see to it that speed is almost gone when u go in for landing.

AWL_Spinner
02-12-2007, 04:32 AM
If you can find a road.... land on that. They're modelled "flatter" than the grass.

I remember being really pleased with myself playing Extreme_One's Battle over Britain campaign when my Hurri lost power in a thunderstorm downdraft and I managed to deadstick it onto a road with the engine windmilling. Once on the ground I was able to start up again and take off to continue the mission.

I too find it next to impossible to stay upright on other terrain. Beaches are sometimes Ok but grass.... always seems to get down to about 20mph without problem and then noses over at the very last minute... grr.

ViktorViktor
02-12-2007, 05:52 AM
I've been in situations where I land on the last 1/3 of the runway or find out that there's another plane taxiing in front of me after I touch down. In these cases when I get to 130 kph or below, with my (FW-190) tail still up, i give it full left rudder. I end up skidding to a stop sideways, but using only about 1/2 or 1/3 the usual landing distance. No damage to the landing gear, either!

Haven't tried it on grass or a beach, though.

Got the idea from reading Lipfert (he flew the Bf-109, but when he did it, it snapped off the landing gear).

JG52Karaya-X
02-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
I keep the stick fully back

Thats what you would do in real life (tm) but in Il2 that same procedure will lead to your plane nosing over as the tail will jump up in rough terrain when it hits Il2s trampolin grass. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
02-12-2007, 08:24 AM
It's not a panacea but you should be raising flaps immediately your wheels have touched. Less tendancy to nose over and you can brake harder, earlier.

This is standard procedure in light aircraft.

Zoom2136
02-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Landing a Spit IXe (CW)....

Come in slow 150kph (about 95mph) flair (slightly) and stall it as you touch down... touch down speed should be about or below 120 kph (75 mph)... tap break slowly...and pull hard on the stick toward you... when at 70kph (45 mph)... go full left rudder... full break and keep pulling hard on the stick... she will turn hard dip a wing but will stop on a dime without bending the prop...

Hope this help... anything other than a "stall landing" will not have the same conclusion... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Stackhouse25th
02-12-2007, 08:40 AM
forget it if its a tail dragger since 99% of the time u will nose over. ive tried many times.

only airplane suitable for off airport landings are tricycle gear.

however you can land on roads just fine 80% of the time, u just gotta learn what to lookout for and how to do it properly.

blakduk
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
It seems you have similar experiences to me- i thought there might be some technique that i hadnt figured out.
It does seem that the tail draggers in this sim have a hydraulic jack attached to tail wheel that is primed to bounce the tail over once the groundspeed has reduced to about 30km/h.

SeaFireLIV
02-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Swivet:
Know your aircraft,,feel it floating to the ground,always use small movements when close to the ground.once you feel the wheels lightly tap the ground reduce throttle and pull back and gently tap the brakes....takes a bit of practice,,,,but once you get it you will be landing like the AI planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pretty much how I land in most cases. Don`t be afraid to use flaps very carefully and briefly as required. Great thing about this sim is you can literally feel your way to ANY kind of landing after a few hours worth of flights under your belt.