PDA

View Full Version : newbee - Question on setting up a manual firing solution

mashkis
03-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I have two questions regarding setting up a manual firing solution. Since I have never played any sub games, I am not sure how to setup my strategy.

1. Lets say you are heading 360 and you spot a convoy heading West to East. What is the correct process in gathering the information for a manual firing solution? Do you stop all engines so you can measure the range, angles and speed of the target? Or do you keep a closure speed and gather your data while moving since this will make for much harder calculations of range?

2. If you are heading 360 and the target is on your 90 degrees right. Do you have to turn to face the target before firing torpedoes or can you set the angle at which the torpedo can turn to once fired?

Dominicrigg
03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Its Complicated and im sure the manual and lessons in game will teach you well but here are some of your answers.

As to torpedoes they can steer themselves in a limited way, so you dont have to face the enemy ship, but facing it will help massivly, with the more turning the torpedo has to do the less accurate it is. Idealy say the target is sailing left to right in front of you, the front of your sub should be facing where the ship is going to be rather then where it is, that way the torp goes straight. (like a footballer passing the ball infront of a running player)

To speed ect, you dont have to stop, stopping may make it easier for you to figure the amounts but shouldnt matter that much. You first figure the speed and heading (since these shouldnt change and should be the same for the whole convoy) and then figure distance and angle from you last. Then fire as soon as poss because each second from then on ruins your aim. Other people will have more elequent descriptions im sure!

ps if the target is 90 degrees right you could fire at it but its a bad shot. The torp uses fuel to turn, time to turn ect, and all in all it would be better to turn near the direction first before firing. Firing in the 45 degrees to either side should be what you aim for, even tighter if poss!

Delfin1941
03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
1. You slow down (1/3) and Identify the Ship and her Mast hight. example Oil Tanker, Mast Height 33meters.

2. You line up perpendicular (at right angle to the ship) so you can hit it from it's side..
Best range..less then 2000 meters.

3. In SHIII you need to flood the tubes, and open the Torpedo doors.

4. Now you calculate. The marks on your periscope and UZO represent degrees (o).
Large marks are (FULL) degrees, small marks are half degrees.

5. You will need a small calculator maybe to do that.. you use the formula D=M/tanA
Where "D" is the distance you are trying to find. M is the Mast height, and A, the angle you see in the periscope.
In this case M is 33, and A is (let's say 1.5 degrees - [from the waterline to the tip of the mast]. now just do 33 divided by 1.5degrees tan.
(tan is tangent), a function on your calculator.
with this, you can find the range to target.

6.Finding speed is a total different matter..
U-Boat crews sometimes used the hydrophones to listen to the propeller of the ships, count the revolutions and determine the speed. There are other ways to do it too..
(Convoys rarely travell at more then 8 or 9 knots..)
If you put all that data into the TDC, this great device will track the target for you..(providing the information is correct).
To increase success of a hit, get cloaser, from the side, and set torpeado speed to high (44kts)

Delfin1941
03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
http://www.math.com/students/calculators/source/scientific.htm

Use the above link for the scientific calculator with the (tan) tangent function.

Just enter the formula like I said:
33 / 1.5 tan
= 1260.21 meters range. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
http://www.math.com/images/calc/scalc.gif

mashkis
03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get this game. I have pre-ordered but still not shipped. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I am going to learn on the most difficult settings and I think it is going to be a big challange to get the calculations right once you are under pressure with everything going on.

Ah, I can't wait....

Captain_David
03-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I really hope the sounds are correct. Because i have some uboat experience as a SONAR operator.
the first thing you need to learn in order to hear what kind of ship you are listening to, you need to learn how heavy cavitation, fine cavitation and compressed cavitation sounds like. Heavy cav. is from merchants, fishing ships etc. Fine is almost always military surface ships. And compressed is 99.99% submarines. After some months of training you will be able to count the number och blades, shafts, sometimes cylinders, engine type; diesel engines, turbines etc. etc.

The formula i learned to calculate the distance was much more complicated. And the result was always in HM, HektoMeters. 1 HM=100m. The formula is too complicated to post here i think, because it needs a lot of explaination.

U1409
03-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we got plenty of time. Anything you can tell us is of interest, whether it can be used in the game or not. How do you calculate range from sound (sonar)?

Captain_David
03-12-2005, 04:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U1409:
How do you calculate range from sound (sonar)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I wrote above, it's very hard to explain. But I can try to do it in short terms.
The first thing to do is to determine to speed, angle, bearing, and how many "degrees per minute" the ship "moves" one the plot. So before you even can begin to calculate the distance you need to plot the ships bearing and calculate its course, and your own course in order to determine the angle and "how many degress the ship is traveling-per-minute"
Then you need a calculator that can handle Tan and Cos.

I don't think you will have the time to use this method, and in order to be accurate you will need to have some good SONAR operators that feeds you with correct info all the time.

Muppetts
03-12-2005, 04:38 AM
First Respect to you! Must have been an odd experience, stuck in a tube under it all!

I think the sub captains and crew on both sides in WWII were incredible to make such calculations under pressure, time and the threat of being spotted and killed!

I also respect roulette operators who instantly calc all the winners and odds when you could have so many variations!

Captain_David
03-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes indeed, they did a tremendous job. It's a wonder they hit anything at all. nowadays you have computers that cost more than 20 million Euro.. And sometimes the crew calculates better anyway.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif