PDA

View Full Version : Does the AI suffer black-outs?

jds1978
10-12-2005, 04:37 AM
last night i was goofing around w/ QMB.

the setup was 4 Spit MkVIII's vs. 4 A6M5's.

we started the dogfight at around 15,000 feet. after several minutes of intense T'n'B, i noticed a zeke raising hades w/ a member of my flight. i was in the middle of gaining some altitude, so my energy status was not ideal. there was no way i was going to catch the zeke, so i let loose with a burst of 20mm at about .5 km behind the bandit. as hoped for, this spooked him into abandoning his attack on my friendly. he pulled a series of high G acrobatics and finally dove for the deck. we ended up in a descending scissors stalemate. once we started getting real close to the sea (less than 4,000 ft.) i decided to bail out of this fight. my controls were getting funky and i was starting to black-out badly. we were going at least 350-400mph. expecting the zeke to come after me once i abandoned the chase, i was amazed to watch him continue straight down into the drink like a shooting star. aside from the 20mm burst at the beginning of the fight, i never got into any position to pull the trigger. the initial burst never touched him.

so the question is...did he black-out? does the AI suffer the effects of high G acrobatics?

Yellonet
10-12-2005, 08:34 AM
I really don't think so...

danjama
10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
I think they do. That would explain why when you are fighting some Ai planes, when they are spiral diving, they will suddenly keep going and crash. When i spiral dive too long in game, i too black out. This is a perfect explanation for mistakenly AI "weaknesses"

SpartanHoplite
10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I always chalked those up to AI stupidity and their inexplicable attraction to terra firma, but maybe they actually do black out.

Interesting.

SH

Chuck_Older
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't see much evidence they red-out, so I think they don't black-out, either

J_Weaver
10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I haven't really made up my mind about this yet. However, I'm leaning toward they don't. If they blackout how is it that they can continue to turn hard after I've reached the point of nearly blacking out? (When we're moving at aprox. the same speed)

Nimits
10-13-2005, 01:50 AM
It's not that they don't black out, its just that they see in the dark . . .

jimDG
10-13-2005, 04:45 AM
no, the AI dont suffer from blackout - they enjoy every second of it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-13-2005, 05:34 AM
No, no they don't.

SeaFireLIV
10-13-2005, 05:48 AM
I heard that they don`t balck out, but never make manouevers that would cause them to black out, but this was pre-4.01.

Waldo.Pepper
10-13-2005, 06:59 AM
I've thought of an idea for a test. I would do it myself but Im not able to today.

What would happen if you took a two seater up high, like a Stuka or a Dauntless.

Then you intentionally pulled hard and blacked out, say after a steep dive to build up speed.

That would take some time for you to come out of it.

OK so then you switch to the gib seat, and see if the now AI pilot now in control of the plane whose cockpit you just vacated manages to bring the ship under rapid control.

Wouldn't that tell us something?

Just a thought.

Freelancer-1
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi

It's hard to tell from what I've seen.

But, if I'm in, say, a P-39 N1 and I can't get a 109G2 to drop out in a turn fight, it's either that he's not blacking out or the AI drive uber models.

At the same time I have seen instances where the AI seems to lose it at low alt and hit the dirt. Could be from black out.

I thimk Waldo.Pepper's idea is a good one. I think I'll give it a shot tonight and find out once and for all.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
10-13-2005, 09:36 AM
NO they dont red or black-out thats for sure
however they do lose control sometimes and spiral into the ground
I think they can lose control just like we can when a rudder/elevator is shot out or something

this whole new AI limitations is BS
they dont blackout dont brake apart and still see trough clouds(ive seen zero's La's and yaks going 900kph and pull-up like crazy and shoot me down)

the AI is still bogus, only thing that has improved IMO is that they are more carefull and do more E fighting

3.JG51_BigBear
10-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I still like the AI from the original IL2. Those guys were manic. I know they always flew past the limits of their planes but if felt like a real challenge knocking those guys down. After flying against real people in the full switch servers the current AI just doesn't cut it.