PDA

View Full Version : DX-10 for XP?

Bearcat99
08-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I dont have a DX 10 card... and personally I would be nervous about an alpha version... unless of course I went out and bought a HD and did a complete back up of my current config... and then tried it...
Project to bring DX 10 to XP & Linux (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070424-project-aims-to-bring-dx10-gaming-to-xp-linux-os-x.html)

DX10 for XP Alpha version (http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/)

Bearcat99
08-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I dont have a DX 10 card... and personally I would be nervous about an alpha version... unless of course I went out and bought a HD and did a complete back up of my current config... and then tried it...
Project to bring DX 10 to XP & Linux (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070424-project-aims-to-bring-dx10-gaming-to-xp-linux-os-x.html)

DX10 for XP Alpha version (http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/)

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
....does DX10 support OpenGL? I have heard two stories about this, and I don't know which is true

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-29-2007, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:
....does DX10 support OpenGL? I have heard two stories about this, and I don't know which is true </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dx10 and openGL are two different things and have nothing to do with each other. There is no need for Dx10 to be compatable with opengl.

Luke5skywalker4
08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
There will be a DirectX 10 on XP. Game developers pushed Microsoft into doing it. It'll either be called "10" or DirectX 9.0L.

Either way, Microsoft's little scheme to force people into buying Vista fails.

BrotherVoodoo
08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There will be a DirectX 10 on XP. Game developers pushed Microsoft into doing it. It'll either be called "10" or DirectX 9.0L.

Either way, Microsoft's little scheme to force people into buying Vista fails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would they have to change DirectX10's name I wonder.
I won't be going to Vista until I am ready to unleash my 64bit processor. Of course no need to really even go there until applications, especially games, are written to take advantage of a 64bit OS/CPU's. By then Vista will actually be matured and ready for prime time.

Irish_Rogues
08-29-2007, 07:35 PM
+1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2007, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:
....does DX10 support OpenGL? I have heard two stories about this, and I don't know which is true </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dx10 and openGL are two different things and have nothing to do with each other. There is no need for Dx10 to be compatable with opengl. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me, but I know that OpenGL and DX10 are two separate things. I didn't post they were the same

Why does DX10 not need to be compatible with OpenGL, exactly? What I have read is that DX10 was not going to support anything that MS doesn't make. last I heard, MS doesn't make OpenGL

So I asked about it. Okay?

edit-

maybe I should ask this way-

is it true that MS is making DX10 so that if a game is coded for OpenGL, it simply will not work? Not because DX10 somehow runs OpenGL, because MS isn;t allowing other things to run on their OS

rileyjams
08-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I read a few months ago that some hacker kid who was like in his early 20's managed to make DX 10 for XP

AFJ_rsm
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM

is it true that MS is making DX10 so that if a game is coded for OpenGL, it simply will not work? Not because DX10 somehow runs OpenGL, because MS isn;t allowing other things to run on their OS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Close that book forever and never open anymore.

I don't get why everyone seems to think Microsoft would actually do something like that. It's not that I'm a fanboy here. It's just that it doesn't make any sense at all! If they resorted to such measures, they'd only be hurting their own sales!

If something as it is right now doesn't work, it isn't because the evil minds over at MS thought it up that way. It probably is because they screwed up!

OpenGL works under Windows Vista and DX10. The reason it wasn't working well before was because of immature graphics drivers from Nvidia and ATI(AMD) but they're getting their act together now.

stansdds
08-30-2007, 03:40 AM
DX-10 was the only reason gamers would buy Windows Vista, why would M$ make DX10 available to Windows XP? Seems to me that would not be in keeping with the M$ routine of planned obsolescence and required upgrading for all computers.

capt_frank
08-30-2007, 07:15 AM
I bought and installed Vista home premium 64 bit on my new gaming computer's second hard drive. I took the plunge to Vista primarily for the ability to use extended ram. I currently have 4 gigs installed, soon there will be 8 gigs. Once I tweak IL2:1946 and SHIV to work OK on Vista, I won't be looking back.

jarink
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
DX-10 was the only reason gamers would buy Windows Vista, why would M$ make DX10 available to Windows XP? Seems to me that would not be in keeping with the M$ routine of planned obsolescence and required upgrading for all computers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sales of Vista upgrades have been exceedingly disappointing for MS. Nearly all of the 'sales' of Vista have been through the purchase of a new PC or through volume licensing agreements. So why isn't MS that worried about it? You won't be able to get XP licenses for much longer. Most of the major manufacturers are phasing out XP since MS won't allow them to sell XP licenses after January 2008. "System Builder" licenses will be available until Jan '09.
Windows Life Cycle Policy (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx)

I just read yesterday that MS is getting ready to finally put out a Beta Service Pack 3 for XP in about 2 weeks. There will also apparently be a Beta SP1 for Vista at the same time. The long-term plan is for them both to be released sometime in the first half of '08.

Maybe XP SP3 will be the vehicle for installing DX10 on XP?

SlickStick
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM
For me the move to Vista will be allot like my move to XP, slow and steady. Win98SE worked fine for me well into the early 2000's. Then, one day after I felt that XP had gotten most of the bugs out, I installed a 2nd HDD and gave it a try.

I was amazed at how much better it was than Win98SE, especially in the area of drivers and recognizing hardware, plus the built-in things that you always had to add to Win98SE to use, like picture viewers and .zip file ability, etc. were already present in WinXP. It was way more stable than Win98SE as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll just let Vista work out some of their issues, let software catch-up with it and then when I build my new system, I'll give it a go.

I see absolutley no need to go Vista or DX-10 in XP on hardware that can't even take advantage of it. I am and always have been of the mindset that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Overclocking it, of course, is a fun challenge. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As far as OpenGL, that is a software wrapper that is a part of each Video Driver package, no? I thought that DX and OpenGL never actually ran each other's protocol, but that a game ran in either MS DirectX or it ran in the video driver's OpenGL mode.

Irish_Rogues
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:

Maybe XP SP3 will be the vehicle for installing DX10 on XP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or a block against the third party DX 10 work???

Hoatee
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFJ_rsm:

is it true that MS is making DX10 so that if a game is coded for OpenGL, it simply will not work? Not because DX10 somehow runs OpenGL, because MS isn;t allowing other things to run on their OS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Close that book forever and never open anymore.

I don't get why everyone seems to think Microsoft would actually do something like that. It's not that I'm a fanboy here. It's just that it doesn't make any sense at all! If they resorted to such measures, they'd only be hurting their own sales!

If something as it is right now doesn't work, it isn't because the evil minds over at MS thought it up that way. It probably is because they screwed up!

OpenGL works under Windows Vista and DX10. The reason it wasn't working well before was because of immature graphics drivers from Nvidia and ATI(AMD) but they're getting their act together now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well here is an example of 'evil' minds at work : when Apple bought in the ability to play and create avi movies under Quicktime, Microsoft promptly removed the codec from the next version of their Windows Media Player.