PDA

View Full Version : Stand-alone FB-AEP and Kurland map

jacko38
12-04-2005, 09:32 AM
I do not own PF, because I'm not really interested in the Pacific war. I do own FB plus AEP and started to fly again recently. I noticed that in the one of the latest patches maps of Kurland and Murmansk are included. If I understand it correctly they only work in the merged PF-FB-AEP installation. Is there a way to import these two maps in the stand-alone FB-AEP installation? I would love to fly over Kurland, but don't want to install PF, especially since I don't have enough disk space.

p1ngu666
12-04-2005, 09:40 AM
dl the patches, and copy the files with map in the name into your game folder
that *might* work

PF is worth getting tho

SeaNorris
12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I think that works, since someone on these forums 'Spitfire222' had Spitfires in his FB&PF WITHOUT AEP.

plumps_
12-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it works, but I do know that it shouldn't.

The latest patches with the new maps are only available for the installation that includes PF.

jacko38
12-04-2005, 11:22 AM
And I know that it doesn't. I'm sorry about that and I also don't really understand why it doesn't work for FB-AEP only. I mean, the Kurland map is meant for FB, not PF. Please don't tell me it is to make me buy PF...that would really disappoint me.

plumps_
12-04-2005, 11:41 AM
The main reason is that you have to pay for other people's work so they can pay their rent and keep improving the product. Also 1C:Maddox are now working on the next generation of flight sims and don't have enough time to support more than the two versions of FB/PF we already have: 4.02 merged and 4.02 stand-alone.

joeap
12-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Come on get PF!! A lot of the planes and content out of the box can be used in the ETO also. Heck even the Illustrious or the CVEs are fun too...not to mention the bombers (B-25 A-20) and some other planes and ground objects. Plus the patches add lots of good content. You won't regret it I'm sure.

Zeus-cat
12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
The Pacific theater didn't interest me either... until I bought PF. You have to try landing on a carrier, you just have to. PF is worth it just for that!

A lot of the work being released in free patches is the work of the third parties doing it for free. They knew their work would be released as part of an add-on for PF, not FB/AEP. If you don't want to buy PF, then you haven't missed out on anything intended for FB/AEP by the developers in my opinion.

If you are in the US, Wal-Mart is selling PF for $19.99. My local Wal-Mart had three copies on the shelf last week.
Zeus-cat

jacko38
12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, perhaps I will if I can find it for a reduced price. It is not even the money I'm not willing to pay, but the disk space I haven't got. Anyway thank you for your reaction. I will consider it.

VW-IceFire
12-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jacko38:
And I know that it doesn't. I'm sorry about that and I also don't really understand why it doesn't work for FB-AEP only. I mean, the Kurland map is meant for FB, not PF. Please don't tell me it is to make me buy PF...that would really disappoint me.
There's a key thing to keep in mind here.

Continued development of the engine and game and content is not free. It costs money in terms of people and research and resources to do all of this stuff.

Pacific Fighters is an addon pack to the rest of the games (its barely a standalone) and Oleg has decied to use some of the resources from that pack to add more content in for the overall game. Regardless of theater.

So...if you want the new content (regardless of anything else) then you need to pay a few more dollars because it costs money to get these "free" things. They aren't really infact free a'tall...

Eastern Front didn't interest me but it does now and I'm glad I bought the game. Pacific Theater may not interest you right now but open your mind a bit and give it a try...and even if you don't like the Pacific Theater there are planes in the Pacific addon that are useful in Europe as well (Corsairs, B-24's, the A-20G, and so on).