PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Strategy Regarding Zoom? (Del, End, PgDn)

terriblysilly
09-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Hello! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As I have begun to play IL-2 again, also I have begun to experiment with using the different zoom distances achieved with DEL, END and PgDn.

My questions for you more experiened players are:

Do you switch between these often, or do you stick with one most of the time? If you switch, when/why?

or

Do you use these preset zoom distances, or do you use the features in the game to play at a custom zoom distance? Do you stick to that zoom distance, or do you also change that one often depending upon your situation in the game?

Do you find it much easier to aim your weaponry (gunner or forward guns) in zoomed-up-close mode (Delete)? Or is it pretty much the same so long as you lead well and put the center of the reticule where it should be?

Any other tips for using zoom functions most effectively?

If there is already a guide on this that I have missed reading, I am sorry!

Thank you!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Vanderstok
09-19-2007, 03:54 AM
I change it all the time. To see the attitude (direction of flight) of a distant aircraft you need to zoom in. To check your six it's often good to zoom out. I have made a little script using Autohotkey so I can zoom in -and out smoothly using my joystick hatkeys.

terriblysilly
09-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Do you remain zoomed-in whilst firing upon enemies?

Thank you!!!

DKoor
09-19-2007, 06:02 AM
As Vanderstok said you must constantly change views.
At least that's my experience, but that may be different on your system if you have great system specs high res and all that stuff.
You may be able to see aircraft from very far away even with zoomed off.

This sim is quite strange when dots are in question.
I see dot clearly from far away but when I close on it, I have a hard time tracking it!

Anyhow use several tracks from various users and that will suit your purpose just brilliantly. You will see when they zoom in/off etc.

Lurch1962
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
As Vanderstock has done, I too have created a macro whereby I can "smoothly" zoom in/out. The rate of generated key presses comes out to about 12 per second, if I recall--at any rate, going from full zoom out to full in takes about 1 second, which gives a pretty good illusion of smoothness. These two macros occupy two positions on a 4-way hat.

On the same hat I've mapped the key for the "normal" FOV (70 degrees).

So in the end I really use three zoom settings; widest, normal and max zoom.

Quite often I'll maneuver/fire while zoomed fully in. Makes for more accurate sniping, even against desperately evading fighters. If you think this is hard, recall that the telescopic sight-equipped planes like the Oscar have you zoomed in to the same degree.

Lastly, don't think for a moment that using a zoomed in FOV setting is cheating. I'm sure that you've got your monitor at such a distance from you that the screen subtends no more than a 30 degree wide view angle. Therefore, to be strictly accurate, the game's 30 degree FOV setting is the most accurate representation of the size of the real world view you would see! The wider FOV's are actually handicapping you as regards the details present but which you're not seeing.

--Lurch--

Dustysquareback
09-19-2007, 05:44 PM
To Vanderstock and DKoor -

Is there someplace I could get a how-to on setting up scripts such as you mentioned? I'd love to learn how, but I have no idea. I'm fairly tech-savvy, but a n00b at this stuff.

Thanks!

dwieser
09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Dustysquareback if you have a saitek you can go into your profile editer and program your rotary's
by klicking the little arow on the right and selecting bands then kclick the green checkmark and youl get two bands that are equally spaced . now rigt klick in each of those bands and select new macro thaen hit your insert or home watever your increase and decrease field of view is assigned to then hit the key you are going to use
about ten times to create the macro .Okay i know this probly doesnt make any sense but if it did then when you spin your rotary's it will zoom in and out smoothly... if this doesnt make sense let me know and i will be more specific

TC_Stele
09-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I use it so often that I broke the keys on my throttle.

Bearcat99
09-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I have all my hat switches set as 4 way switches in the 12,3,6 & 9 o'clock positions, including the mouse pan button on my X-45. In mode 2 which is my normal operation/combat mode I have that hat set to zoom in and out in the 3 & 9 positions. Track IR makes it even better. so now I just look at my gauges and zoom in then zoom out..... I use the > & < FoV buttons.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
I use the three specific views so much that it's second nature (zoom, norm, wide). I use wide to see around cockpit struts or check my 6, normal for cruising/fighting, and zoom for target ID (mostly ground targets) and sometimes tracking.

I have those three views on a 4-way hat with the fourth button unassigned...on purpose.

TB

Vanderstok
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Just like Lurch I have assigned a third hat switch to "normal zoom" so I can always reset the zoom level quickly.

If you don't have a programmable joystick then I can post a little script here that, together with autohotkey (see http://www.autohotkey.com/) can do smooth zooms.

What even would be better is to use the z-axis of Track-IR (if you have one; I have TrackIR 4) to zoom in and out as you can do in Shockwave's BoB and Thirdwires' First Eagles. I believe this was possible in the past using some clever scripts, but it doesn't work any more....

Dustysquareback
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks all -

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a Sidewinder for now - so no programmable-ness for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'm amazed at what a good stick it is regardless, but I'd love some more tweakeability.

The autohotkey site seems to be down... but I'd love any script suggestions you could give me. I'll try and find a copy of it somewhere else.

Vanderstok
09-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Here's the script.

Download and install autohotkey. Create a new textfile in notepad and call it IL2zoomView.ahk (note the extension is correct).
Open the file in notepad and paste the following script in the file. Save, close and run the script by double clicking it. Now try it in IL2. It should work with the no 1 hat of your 1st joystick.

;
; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
; Language: English
; Platform: Win9x/NT
; Author: A.N.Other <myemail@nowhere.com>
;
; Script Function:
; Template script (you can customize this template by editing "ShellNew\Template.ahk" in your Windows folder)
;

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

#Persistent ; Keep this script running until the user explicitly exits it.
SetTimer, WatchPOV, 25
return

WatchPOV:
GetKeyState, POV, JoyPOV ; Get position of the POV control.
KeyToHoldDownPrev = %KeyToHoldDown% ; Prev now holds the key that was down before (if any).

; Some joysticks might have a smooth/continous POV rather than one in fixed increments.
; To support them all, use a range:
if POV < 0 ; No angle to report
return ; No key will be pressed.

else if POV = 9000
return
else if POV = 27000
return
else if POV = 0
KeyToHoldDown = PgUp
else if POV = 18000
KeyToHoldDown = PgDn

if KeyToHoldDown = %KeyToHoldDownPrev% ; The key should be repeated.
{
SetKeyDelay 5
Send, {%KeyToHoldDown% up} ; release the keystroke
Send, {%KeyToHoldDown% down} ; repeat the keystroke.
return
}

; Otherwise, release the previous key and press down the new key:
SetKeyDelay -1 ; Avoid delays between keystrokes.
if KeyToHoldDownPrev ; There is a previous key to release.
Send, {%KeyToHoldDownPrev% up} ; Release it.
;if KeyToHoldDown ; There is a key to press down.
; Send, {%KeyToHoldDown% down} ; Press it down.
return

Dustysquareback
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Awesome. Thanky kindly!

terriblysilly
09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I am confused. If the IL2 game supports zoom in, zoom out, etc., within the virtual cockpit, why is Z-axis operations of TrackIR not supported? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bearcat99
09-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Because the zoom possible through macros is a simulated one.... not actual zoom like the one in 6DoF.