PDA

View Full Version : swordfish

zecek51
06-18-2006, 07:02 AM
I would love to see the addition of the Swordfish, Gladiator, Fulmer etc to B.O.B. Imagine being able to recreate the Tarranto raid or the part played by ships such as HMS Illustrious in the Malta Convoys.

zecek51
06-18-2006, 07:02 AM
I would love to see the addition of the Swordfish, Gladiator, Fulmer etc to B.O.B. Imagine being able to recreate the Tarranto raid or the part played by ships such as HMS Illustrious in the Malta Convoys.

idonno
06-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Swordfish! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

HERE! HERE!

Charlielamb
06-18-2006, 09:01 AM
A Hurricane MKI and a Gladiator with hooks (sea variants) would be a great addition to FB in the short term.

triggerhappyfin
06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
These planes are needed for FB as well.
We got carriers but only the seafire for FAA.

Tooz_69GIAP
06-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Not gonna happen, way too late, but let's hope for the SOW series.

The Swordfish was being modelled, but it couldn't be finished before the deadline of April LAST YEAR!!

That's right, except for the RRG stuff, the deadline for any new aircraft models for inclusion into the FB series was April 2005.

JG301_nils
06-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Ehemm he DID say BoB....not IL2

leitmotiv
06-18-2006, 04:33 PM
I want to have a go at BISMARCK!

JG53Frankyboy
06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zecek51:
I would love to see the addition of the Swordfish, Gladiator, Fulmer etc to B.O.B. Imagine being able to recreate the Tarranto raid or the part played by ships such as HMS Illustrious in the Malta Convoys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure, it would be nice........... we will see. perhaps in the "planed" MTO AdOn for the BoB series.
Carriers would be nice there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

so far i remember i already saw a Gladiator 3D modell for BoB , all WIP , and no words if flyable or "only" as AI .

VW-IceFire
06-18-2006, 06:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zecek51:
I would love to see the addition of the Swordfish, Gladiator, Fulmer etc to B.O.B. Imagine being able to recreate the Tarranto raid or the part played by ships such as HMS Illustrious in the Malta Convoys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm willing to bet that Storm of War when it goes to the Med will see those types of aircraft. After all...how can you do the Med without Taranto?

JamesBlonde888
06-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Excellent Idea. I heard

JamesBlonde888
06-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Excellent idea. Why not take it further and have an Anti shipping campaign?

I heard a description of torpedo ops that stated something like...a whole bunch of a/c go in on the deck against the worlds supply of flak and fighters and every now and then one comes out the other side... sounds like fun eh?

The Beaufort would be an interesting progression as well.

leitmotiv
06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I am hoping for ships which will fight like tigers and maneuver at high speed which will make anti-warship missions the challenge they should be. Alas, PF is like a run on a fire-spitting target ship.

JG53Frankyboy
06-19-2006, 05:31 AM
flying torpedo attacks with italian SM.79 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
&lt;- dreaming http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jamesdietz
06-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh yes & a Channel Dash mission to try to live thru....Can you say Victoria Cross?

JamesBlonde888
06-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Not before breakfast

leitmotiv
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Alphasim makes a Beaufort and a Swordfish for Microsoft Flight Sim 2004. The Swordfish comes with a BISMARCK so you can makes runs (too bad no risk of getting hit---but BIS didn't shoot down one Swordfish in the three attacks on her). Alphasim has a number of WWII RAF aircraft, including the Whitley, Wellingtons I/II/III, Halifax III, and Lysanders I/II/III. They have the Black Cat PBY and the night attack "Nightmare" Mariner as well as a Japanese Mavis!

Fox_3
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
A Barracuda would of been good. It served in the ETO and PTO, and carried a torpedo.

leitmotiv
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Definitely, or a Skua.

jamesdietz
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I love the Swordfish...do you have any screenshots of the exterior & interior of the MSF2004 bird?Its been my rather limited experience that a great many of these flyable WW-1 & WW2birds on that sim are sort of undermodeled compared to Oleg's eforts... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

leitmotiv
06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Not up to Oleg's interior modeling but it is a good fly if you are desperate for some English aircraft (as I am). I ordered their B-52 and B-58 which are supposed to have more detail. I'll credit them---the Lysander flies like you would expect it to---like the mother of all Piper Cubs. The Wellington IC chunters along and has good interior detail. Here's the Swordfish screenshots:

http://tinyurl.com/kly43

MEGILE
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I want it, you want it, he wants it.

We all want it.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-23-2006, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I'm willing to bet that Storm of War when it goes to the Med will see those types of aircraft. After all...how can you do the Med without Taranto? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the same way we have to do Pearl Harbor without the Kate...i'm willing to bet we get the swordfish in BoB

jamesdietz
06-24-2006, 09:14 AM
I went to the site to check out the Swordfish & it is better than I thought...So you can do a run against the Bismark...do you have any squadron mates to help draw firw ...and how is the flak replicated?Fearsome even tho you can't be shot down? I noticed too its a $29.95 add-on quite a bit for a flyer with nowhere to go...I guess its part of the rean that MFS2004 doesn't get much use on my pc....Thanks for the tip...maybe someday, but hopefully it will show up in Oleg's sim first.

Rebel_Yell_21
06-24-2006, 09:31 AM

That would be nice.

Hopefully they won't continue the PF tradition of including a French BB, a British WWI era DD and an American Civil War Ironclad for use in Taranto harbor.

jamesdietz
06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Oh!Oh! Then someone could build a mission that could duplicate the one flown in the last reel of that Fab Brit WW-2 flick: <span class="ev_code_RED">The Lion Has Wings!</span>
WOW! Wouldn't that be too cool for school! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Truth to tell, jamesdietz, I'm still trying to figure out how to activate the carrier launch, BIS, and the droppable torpedo. I just bought it two days ago. So far I've just been joyriding in my new airplanes. The FS 9 FM ain't bad at all---not at all like the horrible CFS 3 FM. I can see I have unfairly assumed they were the same. FS 9 gives just as fine a flight experience as we are accustomed from Oleg's designs. With all the English night bombers available and Shockwave's very good He 219, players could have a really good game of night hide-and-seek online. There are enough mega-detailed WWII single-engine jobs for max detail dogfighting---just no boom boom and ka-boom (which I miss). By the way, TrackIR is fully supported.

leitmotiv
06-26-2006, 05:05 AM
OK, I've got the info on the Swordfish/BISMARCK, jamesdietz. They didn't make this crystal clear, to me, anyway, that you can only use the BIS and Taranto scenarios in CFS2. In FS9 all you get is an unarmed Swordfish for joyrides over Seattle. There is a pre-war fish which comes with a droppable torp, but it just disappears into thin air ten feet beneath the airplane. You can fly do it yourself dead of night mine-dropping missions from the UK, like real fish---all the way to Kiel---which would be hairy but...oh well. The Wellington, free Whitley, and Halifax are great for long-haul night missions. Throw in an engine failure and thunder and its almost as good as having a lurking 110. The Catalina and Mariner are gems---fantastic detail. Both have all-black night killer versions if you want to crawl around the South China Sea looking for Toyota freighters. By the way, the coloring and, especially, the weathering on some of these AlphaSims are excellent. They look like really high quality plastic models. Not quite real (but who makes them that good?), but the next best thing.

jamesdietz
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
No torp drop on the bl____dy Hun and his beastly ship...I say old chap thats simply not cricket ...not in the old game esp. at the staggering cost of ...14 Pounds ,5 Shillings & 6 odd Pence....I'm afraid its just not done!

leitmotiv
06-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Concur, old barge. I was had comprehensively. Cads one and all.

WTE_Galway
06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
unfortunately the late war "uber bird" air quake lobby has always been noisier than the people wanting the (in my opinion) far more interesting early war stuff like the swordfish.

If you like the swordfish read "War in a Stringbag" its a great book !!

There is a quote from a fw190 pilot in the book saying that even with full flaps out they couldnt get slow enough to get a good shot at a swordfish down low over the water.

leitmotiv
06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
That book is an irrefutable argument for Swordfish being in any WWII flight sim worth its salt, WTE_Galway. Bomber, long-range minelayer (among the most grueling and hazardous missions I've ever read about), supreme torpedo plane, and maid of all work. Only dedicated E Front or Pac War sims could justifiably be without it. People should know the ARK's radar-fitted Swordfish jumped down out of low overcast on BISMARCK, and that the crack torpedo pilots were deliberately aiming for her screws and rudders. Furthermore, in three torp attacks on BIS by the "outdated" Fish, not one was shot down (several were completely riddled). I console myself by flying the neutered AlphaSim Fish "until better times!"

Siwarrior
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I want to have a go at BISMARCK! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good luck mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif