PDA

View Full Version : few questions

trekvana
04-05-2007, 01:53 AM
hi guys im new to this sim so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

1. what is the purpose of prop pitch and prop feathering???
2. mixture does what?
3. magnetos are for?
4. what are gun pods?
5. does the sbd-3 always handle so slugishly (mine always banks to the left) or is my joystick just broke

thanks!!!

trekvana
04-05-2007, 01:53 AM
hi guys im new to this sim so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

1. what is the purpose of prop pitch and prop feathering???
2. mixture does what?
3. magnetos are for?
4. what are gun pods?
5. does the sbd-3 always handle so slugishly (mine always banks to the left) or is my joystick just broke

thanks!!!

FritzGryphon
04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
1. Pitch and feathering is to humiliate the prop when it's been bad.

2. Some planes are equipped with engine driven smoke generators. These work only at high altitude with high mix settings.

3. Everyone needs an arch-nemesis.

4. Allows the guns to escape when you are shot down.

5. If all the aircraft pull to one side, then your joystick must be broke.

----- Ok and for real.

1. Changes blade angle to optimize thrust. Most airplanes have an automated system, and this can be left on 100%. Reducing 'pitch' really just reduces engine RPM.

Feather is to turn the blades parallel with the relative airflow, for low drag. If your engine fails and you have to glide a long distance, feather the prop to increase your glide distance.

Many planes can't feather the prop. In these cases, reduce pitch to 0% for best glide (almost feathered).

2. The engine needs a proper mix of fuel and air to run properly. If you see brown smoke coming out of the exhaust, there's too much fuel. Reduce the mixture until this smoke goes away.

3. Something to do with spark plugs. Doesn't matter, these should always be on. Turning one off will reduce your engine RPM slightly, and turning both off shuts down the engine.

4. Additional weapons fitted in external 'pods' as part of a special loadout. For example, a P-38 with additional guns attached under the wings.

5. All propeller-driven aircraft will naturally turn to one side. Either use trim to cancel it (not all planes have trim), or adjust manually.

If the SBD seems sluggish that's because it's a slow bomber. Try a fighter for something more speedy and responsive.

Crash_Moses
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
NO! Stick with the SBD! Bombers rule!

Try a little right rudder trim...that should help.

S!

Tully__
04-06-2007, 10:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. Something to do with spark plugs. Doesn't matter, these should always be on. Turning one off will reduce your engine RPM slightly, and turning both off shuts down the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A magneto is a combination of a primitive generator and a high tension ignition coil combined in one unit. The name "magneto" derives from it having permanent magnets installed and not needing an exciter current like an automotive alternator does in order to generate power. They're used in aircraft for this reason as it means the engine will start and run without a battery, as long as there is something available to turn the engine over the first few revolutions. For further reliability, aircraft engines are equipped with dual spark plugs and dual magnetos, one magnetos driving each set of spark plugs. This means that even in the event of magneto failure on one magneto the engine should keep running on the other.

As mentioned above, for the purposes of this sim you don't need to do anything with them except leave them on.

trekvana
04-07-2007, 03:24 AM
thanks for the replies!

stansdds
04-07-2007, 06:18 AM
If you are just learning to fly, I suggest you stick with the SBD. Don't load it with bombs and it handles very nicely, quite similar to the T6 / SNJ / Harvard trainers of the WWII and Korean eras. There is actuall a set of training missions available at Mission4Today (http://mission4today.com/index.php)

Bearcat99
04-10-2007, 07:00 AM
CEM Guide @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=249)

BrotherVoodoo
04-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Welcome sir. Here is another great link for you:

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm#002