PDA

View Full Version : which model maker

J.M.LLOYD
08-19-2007, 10:00 PM
There was a huge response [ 32000 ]to the post "Who here does model planes" when I was a lad it was Airfix and Revell and that was about it?So when I retire shortly I may start constructing again so i need to know who is regarded as the Rolls Royce of aircraft construction kit makers, price and challenge not a problem...Cheers

horseback
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
In terms of quality of engineering & fit, my money would be on Tamiya, although the next three are not far behind, and some sources I've read say that these manufacturers usually have a better scale accuracy: Hasegawa, Accurate Miniatures, and recently, Eduard all have some very nice kits of superb quality.

Sometimes, it depends on the subject matter: for example, both Hasegawa and Tamiya make very nice P-51D Mustangs. Both are very nice, although the Tamiya goes together more easily and has dropped flaps. I think the Hasegawa has a more realistic inscribed paneling effect, particularly on the wings, and it is more easily modified for the early 'fillet-less' D models.

Eduard makes the finest FW 190s out there in 1/48th scale by most accounts, and the Bf 109 series is best depicted by Hasegawa (although the Fujimi kits were out there first). Nobody has matched the Accurate Miniature SBDs, TBF/TBMs, early B-25s or Allison Mustangs, and their Il-2 series is very nice too.

cheers

horseback

leitmotiv
08-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Best to start from what it is that interests you. I am 54 and I got my start with the mid-'50's U.S. manufacturers.

J.M.LLOYD
08-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks boys for the info, I shall go on line and check them all out.....jeffrey.morgan.lloyd

whiteladder
08-20-2007, 02:01 AM
I like Tamiya a lot, you always get a top quality kit with them, even with some of the older ones.

I also like Hasegawa they make some superb kits.

The newer Revell kit on the whole are not too bad, but I would stay away from Airfix. I too spent most of my youth building Airfix kit( one every saturday with my pocket money). I decided to build one recently out of nostalgia, it was terrible!! the parts didn`t fit, there were ejector marks every where I hated it. Airfix`s preblem is basical they haven`t invested in any new molds and are using ones that are years old, unfortunately many of them are worn out.

Skunk_438RCAF
08-20-2007, 08:25 AM
In terms of quality and fit, you cant beat Tamiya these days. That isnt to say however that Hasegawa, Eduard, or even Revell Germany dont have any nice offerings. There are lots of really nice kits out there.

What is it in particular that you had in mind?

ku101_Star-C
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
There is also another, more obscure model manufacturer out of Japan that I can highly reccomend: Fine Molds. Exquisitely fine detail and kits that go together very well. However, many of their kits are in 1/72 scale and a bit pricey. Worth it though, in my opinion at least!

Fox_3
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Try this site.

http://www.hyperscale.com/

Reviews updated daily.

nickdanger3
08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I second that vote for Fine Molds - I'm just finishing up a 1/48 plane of theirs...hands down, the best kit I've ever seen: perfectly thought out, excellent decals, high quality plastic, etc. They're coming out with a 1/48 X-Wing lter this year that looks insanely great.

I agree with most of the above, that Hasegawa and Tamiya are pretty much the tops, though I was disappointed a couple times with the decals in my Tamiya kits - little too thick, but that's a quibble.

I'd also check out Revell of Germany.

If price were a consideration, I'd also look at Academy - the kits I've done from them were probably the best in terms of quality/price. Some of their kits are almost Tamigawa level, but half the price.

I've got to say that for the most part, price is a pretty good indicator of quality. When you start dropping $30 US for a model, you can pretty much rest assured that you'll get a good kit.

Platypus_1.JaVA
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I am getting really passionate about Eduard these days. Those freaky guys from the czech republic are known for their aftermarket PE sets and stuff like that. Lots of small crappy resin kits come from that corner of the world too. The recent Eduard kits are really great. It is confusing tough. You have 'profi pack' kits, where they stick one of their own PE sheets in the box, there is the normal plastic kits and there are 'weekend edition' kits. Extra simple kits to finnish in the weekend. It can get confusing some times.

However happy Eduard kits seem to be, I observed a little problem with the profipack P-40N. There are huge gaps between both the upper wing halves and the hull. Very strange http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Bo_Nidle
08-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Tamiya without doubt. The fit of the parts on their latest kits is unsurpassed and detail is superb. Downside is the price.

Hasegawa are a close second.

I bought my lads some of the latest Revell 1/72nd scale aircraft and was highly impressed with the detail for a very reasonable price.

hdjuey
08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
has anybody try building a wooden tall sailing ship I'm doing one now, about 6 month into it

Enforcer572005
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Is Monogram even still around? They were great kits 20 to 30 yrs ago. They had good tanks to. As do Tamiya, if I remember correctly.

leitmotiv
08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Monogram was bought by Revell. The old Monograms are long-in-the-tooth. Revell Germany now does superlative models, their recent 1:72 Fw 200C-5/8 (not to be confused with the ancient 1965 U.S. Revell Fw 200C) is proof.

There are so many fine model companies now the question is not so much which is best as what do you want to build? Trumpeter has quickly shot to the top of the lists with their remarkable aircraft and armor models. Dragon is unsurpassed in 1:35 armor. In my estimation, Tamiya is very good, but uneven. Hasegawa's recent output in 1:48 aircraft has been stunning (P-39/400 series and P-40 series, for example).

Bo_Nidle
08-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hdjuey:
has anybody try building a wooden tall sailing ship I'm doing one now, about 6 month into it

I haven't but I have been thinking about making one for some years. I rather fancy HMS Victory. I have been on the real one in Portsmouth and it was very impressive.
http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/pics/000720.jpg

hdjuey
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm doing the san juan nepomuceno its the most challenging thing I have done in a long time

leitmotiv
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
All power to you, hdjuey, wooden ship models, as far as I am concerned, are the queen of the model making hobby. I do not have the skill with wood to even try.

Zeus-cat
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Enforcer,

The Monogram kits of 30 years ago pale compared to the high-tech kits of today. The plastics are a lot better (thinner, stronger, etc), the detail in the molded parts is outstanding, the kits come with photo-etched parts, thinner decals with better colors and other impressive accessories.

Bo_Nidle,

The Victory is the pinnacle of wooden ship models imo. You need half a dozen other kits under your belt before tackling her.

Start with a small ship that wasn't a warship; the rigging is a lot easier to do (and the rigging is where most of the work is). The HMS Beagle is a good 2nd or 3rd kit. I made the mistake of buying a Victory kit 30 years ago, I'll never finish it. I'd like to build a Victory someday, but I'll buy another kit as the one I have is too old and I would buy a better one than I have.

I need to finish my USS Constitution cross-section (95% done) and then finish my HMS Beagle (hull 90% complete, masts 50% complete, rigging 0%). I'll say it again, the rigging is where most of the work is on a wooden ship.

bun-bun195333
08-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Mariners' Museum - August F Crabtree (http://www.mariner.org/exhibitions/perm_coll/index.php#crabtree)