PDA

View Full Version : New Stick Time...

LEBillfish
03-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi All;

First off I realize there are a bunch of threads here on this, however as folks have learned more on the X52, thought I'd like a recap...

My first JS a MS SW PP optical that I have used since 99 I think I have killed, well or is on it's last legs. Unfortunately, I decided to try some new things to tighten it up, and ended up this go round with the Dremel making it worse, so am thinking I need a new one and would like some advice based on the following...

1. My hands are rather small (being only 5'6" and rather lean) so have never used any buttons on it, the JS simply to steer the plane.
2. I would want a "Twisty" stick due to how I sit....(90% of the time I use a custom made ergonomic chair where it's almost as though I'm kneeling and laying on my belly, lower legs supported, and a small pad that keeps me from sliding down, the part I lay against at roughly a 45degree angle and terminates just between my br**sts).....So pedals are a no go.
3. As said above, currently I use no bottons on the stick, everything controlled via the keyboard. However, I'm wondering about the value of a throttle.
4. Though I'm small, I can really reef on the stick hard, so durable is nice.
5. Though you lose control closer to the base you grip (less motion for same amount of throw) I never the less tend to rest the heel of my hand on the sticks base to add stability.

Any thoughts, what of this X52? Though I've heard how some are having problems with them...or just go an X45?....Or what?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Kelly

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-02-2005, 09:51 AM
X-45 = NO twisty

X-52 = Twisty (yes there were some problems with extra "play" that supposedly have since been resolved.

I'd say go with an X-52. Though I haven't used one, I HAVE messed around with a friend's X-45 and thought it to be very...erm...flimsy for my taste.

If you were ok with using the keyboard for rudder control (or changing your seating arrangement) I'd strongly suggest a CH FlightStick Pro (NOT the Fighterstick). It has light springs and incredible sensitivity along with a few buttons that I usually just use for cannons, rockets and bombs. Other than that it has a throttle wheel, trim sliders and an 8-way hatswitch (I use TIR so I use mine for additional functions). Add a Pro throttle and you may never have to touch the keyboard again...except for rudder control.

TB

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I hav an X52 and I love it. The handle adjusts for size in a very effective way so small hand size shouldn't be a problem, you wil even be able to use the buttons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. The throttle is kinda big but the button placement is well designed so you may be able to use some if not all of those buttons if you "choke up" on it (the adjustable throttle tension should make this no problem). I have an older one with a slight deadzone (smaller than what some report) but the new ones don't have this problem. I will tell you the negatives about this stick, the sping is a little weak, but I've put a shim between the stick and spring to stiffen it and it works great. The mouse wheel doesn't work when you roll it up or down, it takes three to eight clicks to regester an input(but pushing the mousewheel buttong works fine), afaik this is a problem with ALL of them! These are great sticks and I would recommend them to anyone, just try and get the newer ones (theres a thread here somewhere with the seriel #'s you need to look out for).

steve_v
03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
bump

GreyFox5
03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Billfish - I have had a X52 since Christmas and like all joysticks you get used to using it so all this talk about deadzones and such I haven't had any issue with. My suggestion is to head on over to a retailer that has one and check the fit. The "bottom" of the handle is adjustable so you may have to make some adjustments. Not sure you will be able to reach the buttons on the Stick or the Throttle. The stick plugs into the Throttle so it only uses one USB port.
The Throttle is great and the extra buttons are helpful. You may not need to use them with the touch of one finger so they may spare you some keys on the keyboard. I use 2 of the knobs on the Throttle to trim the airplane. I never had this option before so it is helpful if you have some wing damage and need to trim the plane. I don't adjust them much anyway.
The twisty stick is a must for me since I don't have pedals, and there is a lock out button on the stick if you change your chair and want pedals later. The X52 should be sturdy enough for you. The feedback spring I feel could be stronger but like I said you get used to it after awhile. It will be like starting over no matter what stick you buy. CH Produts make a great stick and throttle but the price is abit much.

~S~ Fox

Check out my Blog! http://ebloggy.com/gb/GreyFox

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/GreyFox5/x52.bmp

crazyivan1970
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Get headphones while you at it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ClnlSandersLite
03-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Honestly, If you're not using stick buttons, this means that your off hand (probably left) NEEDs to stay on the keyboard. I'd say no to the throttle.

SlickStick
03-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Wow, I read through your post and why is it I've only got a mental picture of 3, 4 and 5?!? Not necessarily in that order. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I was hoping for a new avatar to add to my collection. Oh ****, did I just type that?!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I'm looking into the X52, but have been very happy with my X45 for the last couple of years. I've got it setup, so I only hit the KB to select and start engines or use bombsight. I use default drivers and no scripts, assigning everything through Controls.

The stick is a little tight, but I'm used to it now and I love the rotaries for trims. It started to squeak after a little while, but a little candlewax (thanks Taylortony) fixed it right up. All in all, a steal at $79.99, IMHO. They might even be lower now, haven't looked in awhile.

SlickStick
03-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Rats, Ol' Slick killed another thread with his forum weirdness. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

lbhskier37
03-03-2005, 01:32 PM
If you want a basic stick that is accurate and built to last this is the only one you should look at.
http://www.chproducts.com/retail/j_flight_pro.html

sunflower1
03-03-2005, 01:48 PM
It is a darn shame the forum search doesn't work because a few months ago a TM cougar fan wrote a very, very good review of his pet stick.

He was emphatic that the TM Cougar is for people who really want to get into programming and have the capacity to handle some hardware snafu's.

Of course other Cougar fans berated him for it, but it was a very, very well done thread.

LEBillfish
03-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Well, new stick is here....Sent one of the younger guys out after seeing X52's on CompUSA's site to get me one....and he came back with a Logitech Extreme 3d pro as well as some other offerings by them, a Saitek EVO and a couple others, and a couple of off or unknown to me sticks....

Was a little miffed but he said they had none in stock, and remember I "needed a twisty stick" so CH products, X45 with it's rudder switch and non twist sticks not even considered.

Hehe...was kinda funny watching some of the guys here all very highly skilled engineers going over them as I looked them over, but I noticed one thing right off. The Saitek sticks use a spring over centering cone pushing down into a cup and external to keep it in place.

Besides the fact it was sloppy which could be fixed with a stronger spring or preloading it more with shims which would induce more wear, it's external, the cup up meaning debris would be getting into it easier, then naturally aiming it into the stick so filling it with junk quicker (don't believe me?...take your old ones a part and look inside at not only the grit but toejam looking crud they collect.)

Something else I noticed too. As said the centering spring is weak on the Saitek. Now, from years of Bow hunting I can tell you for a fact, if you aim and find your bow arm shaking, or waivering.....It is because your strength is overcoming the locking of your joints, so you need to "up" the poundage and you'll find you steady right up.

As I said at first bent at no X52, I went back to their site to see about ordering it yet find the same cup and spring on the EVO is used on it as discussed above. Then I also began considering how I fly.

I need to have a hand free to use the mouse to see. I also do everything except control rudder/elevator and ailerons from the keyboard. It sounds clumsy but it's not 5% shifts in Prop pitch, throttle, and mix fine, trim set and forgotten till altitude, damage or speed dictates a change then it a simple click of a key to move it a notch at a time. My key mapping for the keyboard I believe very very well laid out and simple to use.....So why mess with a good thing...Nix on the throttle.

So after feeling the sticks for firmness to return to center, and to some degree size I went with the cheapo $35 Logitech Extreme 3d pro.....It's simple, firm, even having a heavy rubber seal about the center to keep junk out. Actually I say cheap but it feels solid.

I can't say I care for the angle the stick is tilted at as "no one" except perhaps a mutants hand is angled like that (and I don't know about you but I rest my elbow for stability, the stick would be fine if you didn't and had it so your arm angled down maybe 20 degree's). I also don't care for the hand rest sticking out right and back 2"...Mostly due to I'll rest the pinky side heel of my hand on the base and it gets in the way...

(Weeeee...more Dremel Moto tool time!)

But I guess for $35, who cares, if it works nice and I have to replace it every 6 months, no biggie. Seriously though, feels solid, guess I have a new stick.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I see the decision is made, but just so you know if you change your mind (after three or four logitech sticks later), the X52 has a "mini-stick" on the throttle right under your thumb that emulates the mouse and and moves the view around without taking your hands off the stick. It also has a flat disk with a sealed hole for the stick underneath the spring cone so no more crud gets in there than a logitech.