PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, your thoughts on BOB please

jjohnson24
10-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Mr. Maddox:
I€ve been an IL2 fan since the sim hit the street and I€m really looking forward to 1C€s BOB. I€ve begun to think about my next PC upgrade and want to target a configuration (hardware and OS) that will run BOB optimally, that is, with the highest graphic detail, mid-range resolution with FPS averaging 80FPS in off-line play.
Given that, would you share your thoughts on the following components:
- CPU: Will BOB be optimized for a single or dual core processor? What would your estimate be for the minimal required speed of the CPU given the performance target above?
- FSB/RAM: Will 2GB PC4000 DDR be sufficient for optimal performance and minimal page file use? Would a similar amount of DDR2 at a higher FSB make a significant performance difference in comparison to DDR?
- Graphics Subsystem: Given the performance target above, would you estimate that a SLI/Crossfire configuration would be required? What would estimate as optimal video card memory, 256mb or 512mb? Any thoughts on pipelines/fill rate of the video card(s)?
- O/S: Will BOB take advantage of a 64bit OS or will a 32bit OS run the sim optimally? Will BOB use the €œgaming€ features of Vista (Longhorn), in particular, the API that collects/tests various performance criteria from the PC and forwards that to the application that requests it?

I understand that any thought you offer in response cannot be taken in any way as a commitment and I want to assure you that won€t happen. I hope you can find the time to respond to the questions posed above.
I€ll close by thanking you and the 1C team for your efforts in producing and supporting a great Sim and a wish for your continued success.

albundy777
10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
To get the optimal configuration and the best price for it means to wait until the game comes out. If your upgrade is for that game, there is no reason to upgrade sooner.

If you want to upgrade now for something else, then rest assured that there will be something better later, and you'll wish you'd waited.

That's just the nature of upgrades. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, if I had to guess about your questions, I'd say no, it won't benefit from dual core/cpu, mainly because that's just very unlikely with games. Of course, as a dual core user, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about that when the game comes out.

2 GB would probably be sufficient, because that is the most that the majority of gamers will have for the next year or so.

SLI? Hopefully they get it working well, but keep in mind that the 7800s suggest that SLI may always just be a way to barely catch up to the next generation of cards.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what their target is as well, but honestly, considering that I'm running the current game with 2GB, a 4400+, and a 7800 GTX, and can't achieve what you consider "optimal" above (at 1400x1050) today, I doubt that any upgrade you get now will satisfy you for the next one. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong about that as well. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chivas
10-06-2005, 12:00 AM
They are all great questions but I doubt even Oleg can answer most of them at this point. Considering its a year or two from release. By the time BOB is released some of the bugs should be out of the Vista, SL1, dual core cpus and dual core graphic cards systems. There could be some smokin systems out when BOB finally arrives. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thats when I would upgrade.

Codex1971
10-06-2005, 02:49 AM
Oleg has stated that there will be very little changed in the 3D rendering engine, so graphically, what you'll see in BoB will pretty much be what you see now in PF. What will change is the amount detail in 3D objects and the number of 3D objects in a scene.

This basically means your upgrade will need to focus more towards CPU power over GPU power. By the time BoB is released ATI and nVidia will probably be getting ready to release the new grpahics cards that will replace the X1000 (ATI) and 7800(nVidia) cards and quad core CPUs and DDR3 will be the norm.

BTW ATI have just launched the X1800, X1600 and X1300 cards...

http://www.ati.com