PDA

View Full Version : Trainee Pilot needs help IL2 FB

Triggaaar
08-31-2005, 02:24 AM
Greetings all

I've just installed IL2 FB. I'm waiting until my copy of AEP arrives before I install Pacific Fighters and the patches, as per the 'Correct Patch Order' thread.

Controls:
I have a CH Flightstick Pro, correctly set-up on XP (not USB version).
The game is not using the controllers throttle control, it is using the keys instead. When I go to the controls screen, it doesn't allow me to make changes. What do I need to do?
Secondly, until I get some pedals (and it looks like that will take some time if ordering from the states), is it possible to use the pedals from my stearing wheel set? (Logitech Wingman formula force).

And lastly, what is a good starting point, for what is clearly a difficult game? I thought the training missions seemed sensible, but they only show me what to do, and don't allow me to try it. Should I try some of the quick missions, and is it worth setting the difficulty to easy, or would that make learning even harder (eg, you wouldn't learn to use half the controls)?

Thanks!

gmot_ka
08-31-2005, 05:00 AM
Maybe you a looking at the wrong place. I am not sure but I think there are two places where you can change the thottel setings. One is used for assigning keys. The second one is at the bottom of the controls page. There you can bind your throttel on the joystick to the throttel in game. You can also bind ruder etc. Its on the very bottom of the page.

F19_Ob
08-31-2005, 05:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the fun.

Try the techforum for your stick problems:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=49310655

As for learning. Take baby steps.
First U have to plan the view functions well.
This is the most important setting u will do.
For example I recommend u assign one button on the stick to "up"view so u can use it simoltanously with the hatswitch views.
What this does is to give U a diagonally up view all around.

For example: if u just move the hatswitch around u look horisontally around u. while doing this u press the "up" button wich lifts the view so u can see diagonally up in all directions as long as u press the "up" button.
Especially important when u look back and add up view wich makes u look back and up. With this view enabled one can roll the plane and look behind and below wich is extreemly important. This feature enables u to see all blindspots at the planes rearquarter wich will save your life.

This view issue is not explained in the manual and I know several experienced simmers that missed this feature and half the visibility from cockpit.

I post about this issue now and then. Hmm perhaps it's time to do that again.

-----------------------------------------------
Next stage is to learn to fly the plane to the limit and to get a good understanding about deflectionshooting.

In the beginning its best to fly just a few planes because they all feel different. the same goes for shooting with cannons and mg's (machineguns).

The best way I have found to practise this is in quick missionbuilder (QMB) and set up just one opponent.
Always save a recording of the mission. this enables u to go back and examine what happened or how well u shot in detail and from outside the cockpit and enables u to switch between the planes.

On a turning plane one always must pull lead to be able to hit and the recording lets u examine and correct your aim. The more times u do this the easier u will remember the correct situation when to shoot.

Learning to use ones plane to the limit takes time but essentially one tries to learn things like how to turn hard in slow speeds without flipping (stalling quickly) and to declerate as fast as possible with a breaking turn (again without flipping). To climb to a standstill and quickly turn the nose down (without flipping).
So essentially practise on keeping the control of the plane in extreeme stages of flight.

After this comes tactics and evasie moves.
So it's a long jurney but a fun one, and everyone have to do it themselves.

well a few pointers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rnzoli
08-31-2005, 06:00 AM
I suggest taking a look at the sticky thread "Practice tips for newcomers...".

Don't be surprised with the amount of information you will get from different sources. Structure them somehow, for example:

- game setup (e.g., smooth graphics, easy-touse controllers)

- basic flight manouvers (e.g., takeoffs, turns, landings)

- combat flight manouvers (e.g., split-S, barrel roll)

- tactics and teamwork (e.g., B&Z vs. T&B, effective comms, formation flying)

Tully__
08-31-2005, 10:01 AM
For the throttle control problem:

Start the game.
Go to the controls screen (Controls button on the main menu).
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the controls screen and find the section under the "HOTAS CONTROL" heading.
Move the throttle control to minimum power setting.
Click in the right column next to the "Power" control.
Move the throttle control to high power setting.
Click the "Apply" button & test fly.

Triggaaar
09-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Thanks on the controls - I was in the right place, double clicking away on the left side, when I should have clicked the right.

I'll start making notes on the monster beginners post, thanks.

I was right in thinking that the training missions don't let you take control or try yourself wasn't I?

WOLFMondo
09-01-2005, 04:06 AM
The training missions are tracks made in Il2:FB. The best way to train is to get in the QMB.

The way I learnt was first pick a plane thats nice and forgiving like the P40, Hurricane or a 109F and shoot some freindlies to learn gunnery.

As you progress put the realism on. I found locking yourself in the cockpit was frustrating but does help and doesn't give you bad habits like looking in third person when you've lost sight of a plane.

Once your happy start experimenting with enemy planes, shooting bombers down, avoiding fire.

Best tip in my mind is reading, read up on the plane your flying, its stall speed, its quirks but avoid reading pilot accounts about how they shot down masses of planes etc cause it won't help you learn how to fly, it will just get you frustrated cause you can't do the samehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.