PDA

View Full Version : OT: Downfall, want to see it BUT....

The.Tyke
04-06-2005, 03:32 AM
I've got to travel miles to find a Cinema showing it !
Why is it only on limited release in the UK ?

Capt.LoneRanger
04-06-2005, 03:35 AM
Actually it's a German movie, so I guess it can't be limited to the UK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I don't know though, if it really is worth it. "Based on a true story" should be the line here, cause it's not like there are many valid sources on what REALLY happened. The movie is said to be good, though.

HotelBushranger
04-06-2005, 04:02 AM
What's it about?

The.Tyke
04-06-2005, 04:03 AM
A lot of the reviews are saying that it's going to be a 'classic', along the lines of the great Das Boot !

The.Tyke
04-06-2005, 04:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
What's it about? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.downfallthefilm.com/

SergeVE
04-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Is a movie about the last days of Hitler and his entourage , in his bunker in Berlin .
It has some outdoors scenes as well though .
The story is mainly seen through the eyes of one of Hitlers secretaries , Mrs. Traudl Junge .

She died only a few years ago , and gave a detailed account of what happened .
I have footage of interviews with her on DVD , so I could compare the movie with what she told in the interview .

I could not find any mistakes in the movie . ( and I have already seen lots of documentaries )

Go see the movie , it gives a good idea of those last days.
It also show the "other" side of Hitler : he could be very charming at times .
The actor playing Hitler does a wonderfull job , and the resemblance is striking .

I can highly recommend it .

It is not propaganda .
It is not hollywood - exaguration either .
It is as it happened .

cheers

ploughman
04-06-2005, 05:27 AM
I think by limited release he means not available in many cinemas here in the UK, as opposed to general release, where it would be in virtually every cinema complex in the realm.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, every review I've read of it has been very postive about virtually every aspect of the production. There's a HBO film with Robert Carlisle as Hitler that's about the period between the foundation of the NSDAP and their gaining power that I've heard is very good also...anyone seen it?

Tallyho1961
04-06-2005, 07:17 AM
I've seen it and it is an outstanding film in all respects. It is being presented in my area in German with sub-titles, which makes the experience even more immersive.The fact that is is a German, as opposed to Hollywood production, makes it a very significant piece of work in my opinion.

The last days in the Fuhrer bunker are actually quite well-documented and the film makers have done their best to present things as they most likely were.

I remember the effect that Saving Private Ryan had on me when I first saw it; this is similar, albeit for different reasons.

Go soon. You won't be disappointed. My prediction: Downfall will join the ranks of the all-time classic World War II films.

PS - Why limited release? No love story. No happy ending. No funny lines. No recognizable actors, at least to non-Germans.

Saunders1953
04-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Coincidentallyl I'm taking the afternoon off from work today to see it before it leaves my town. It's been here two and a half weeks at the local "art" movie house, and that's already a long stay for most such movies here. Anyway, I hope it's in German with subtitles. Dubbing English over such movies is just a horrid experience.

Tallyho1961
04-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Please let us know what you think of it.

SergeVE
04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ploughman:
There's a HBO film with Robert Carlisle as Hitler that's about the period between the foundation of the NSDAP and their gaining power that I've heard is very good also...anyone seen it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen it .
The film you are referring to is actually a mini series .
It is called "Hitler , the rise of evil"

It was on the Belgian commercial tv a few month ago .
And it is now available on DVD.
Normally I would buy almost anything I can get my hands on , which is related to WO2 , but is not woth it .

find out more about the series on this website :

http://www.cbs.com/specials/rise_of_evil/

In my humble opinion , It would score only 6/10 .
The actor playing Hitler is absolutely terrible .
I have serious doubts about the authenticity of some of the elements portrayed .( for example the admiration of Hitler towards one of the women ( I think it was Helene Hanfstaengl ) is very doubtfull or exagurated .
It may have "some" historical basis , but is a typical Hollywood-like simplistic interpretation , over-emphasising the "romantic" elements .

Futhermore , films like these should be in german , nor any other other language .
How can you possibly expect to get some some degree of resemblance for a character like Hitler when the actor speeks american !

In general , it is better to look out for good documentaries .
For example , those made by Guido Knopp ( german ) , which were shown on the german ( ARD or ZDF ) and/or belgian ( CANVAS ) TV-networks .
After a few months , they often become available on DVD .

So far we have had :
- Hitler himself ( 6 DVD's : The seducer - The criminal - privately - The warrior - The dictator - Extortion )
- Hitlers "warriors" ( 6 DVD's : Ernst Udet - Erwin rommel - Friedrich Paulus - Erich Von Manstein - Wilhelm Keitel - Wilhelm Canaris)
- Hitlers helpers ( 6 DVD's : Albert Speer - Karl D├┬Ânitz - Joseph Goebbels - Hermann Goering - Rudolf Hess - heinrich Himmler )
- Hitlers executionars ( 6 DVD's - no details available )

Currently , there is a new series running dedicated to the "women" of importance to Hitler .
So far we have had an episode on Eva Braun ( of course ) , and Leni Riefensthal ( who made the propaganda movie "Triumph des Willens" ).
Perhaps we can expect an episode on Geli Raubal ( who killed herself over Hitler ) , Magda Goebbles , Winifred Wagner .

If you carefully browse through the Tv-program guide daily , you will regularly find WO2-related documentaries .

Over the past 10 years , I have managed to video-tape about 400 documentaries which are WO1 - WO2 related .
Not counting the stuff I bought on DVD , which is now becoming increasingly available .

And no , I am NOT a neo-nazi , just a humble belgian , fascinated by WO1 , WO2 , aviation , and all things military .

The.Tyke
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
OK, so anybody know where you can see it in the NE of England. I can't find any cinemas showing it ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Try searching britinfo.com

I can't find it anywhere local except Nottingham.

Seems that most cinemas would rather show contrived Hollywood cobblers involving an idea for 5 seconds worth of entertainment, that wasn't even very good in the first place, extrapolated out to two hours of pure cinematic drivel. Still, that's what a mass market gets you.

You could, of course, try your local University as they often have film theatres/clubs that show items with more of an intellectutal content.

Cheers,
norris

JG54_Arnie
04-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Great movie! Very well done. Was quite impressed when I saw it. Pity its title isnt simply Der Untergang as it should be. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif People would still get that wouldnt they?

But yeah, go see it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Waldo.Pepper
04-06-2005, 04:06 PM
I watched it on my computer last week. It is excellent. So far I found only one continuity error.

ytareh
04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
I also was very keen to see this movie and saw it at 1030am last Saturday...I was a little disappointed as it was rather overhyped by many.However it is worth a look(Heck its gotta beat "Miss Congeniality2"!Id still prefer "Das Boot" although it might be better than "Saving Private Ryan" which apart from the astonishing opening scene(like seeing a car crash/wreck-although probably not as shocking nowadays,second time round)I wasnt mad about.By the way anyone know anything about a new jetfighter movie called "Stealth" which I saw a trailer of at Bruce Willis'"Hostage"(7/10)tonight?

Waldo.Pepper
04-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Stealth has a fantasy Stealth plane on a carrier. It should suck and blow at the same time.

The.Tyke
04-07-2005, 04:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Try searching britinfo.com

I can't find it anywhere local except Nottingham.

Seems that most cinemas would rather show contrived Hollywood cobblers involving an idea for 5 seconds worth of entertainment, that wasn't even very good in the first place, extrapolated out to two hours of pure cinematic drivel. Still, that's what a mass market gets you.

You could, of course, try your local University as they often have film theatres/clubs that show items with more of an intellectutal content.

Cheers,
norris <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found it at the Bradford Film Institute from 22/4
http://www.nmpft.org.uk/bff/2005/filmdetail.asp?ida=5285