PDA

View Full Version : 'Black Widow' Joystick

Metatron_123
12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Hello guys

I have been looking for a decent stick lately, but haven't gotten down to actually buying one. They have this in the local store:
http://www.consoleshop.be/product-gallery/34827/8105

I'm aware of the saitek,thrustmaster,logitech and CH sticks, I'm in the avi8r/afterburner/cyborg evo price range, not really interested in buying expensive pedals.

I'm also aware of the fact that this joystick is virtually uknown. But it seems to have some smart and ergonomic design features. Namely, <span class="ev_code_RED">the rudder control is on the throttle lever</span>, thus avoiding the need for a 'twisting' handle, something I'm not a big fan of, and something that most sticks have these days.

Also SpeedLink claims that it's especially designed to be robust, something that seems a good thing to me. I've had a genius joystick and a logitech in the past, both had reliability problems, both completely lost their fine-tuning after a few months.

Does anyone here have previous experience with this stick? I'd be interested in your opinion.

PF_Coastie
12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
This looks like a cheap POS to me. I have never seen one before though.

DmdSeeker
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
That looks ok, if a litle on the cheap and tacky side.

Then again it seems you get quite a bit for your money.

I'd check if there are drivers AND programming software for your operating system before buying it though.

Regarding your point about the rudder control being on the throttle, so is the Saiteks X-45's.

Choctaw111
12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Here I thought it was going to be a stick that would replicate a Black Widow's controls. I guess I got all excited for nothing.

Divine-Wind
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
The stick looks rather nice, but everything else is meh IMO.

Gringo_UK1
12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I've bought one of them, when my sidewinder 2 decided to die on me, couldn't get on with it at all..much too heavy return spring and wildly inaccurate, made flying unpleasent to say the least :s

Metatron_123
12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Well Gringo, I guess you've sealed the matter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif. Maybe I'll go for a thrustmaster or a avi8r instead.

ytareh
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Gringo UK!!!I LOVE the sound of a heavy return spring -make a nice change from the floppy rubbish in Saiteks .However 'innacurate' desnt sound great.Care to elaborate-sure its not just a trimming issue?

Cajun76
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Metatron_123:
Well Gringo, I guess you've sealed the matter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif. Maybe I'll go for a thrustmaster or a avi8r instead.

Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner have the rudder rocker, and much more comfortable than the X-45. I have an X-52 that I tightened up the spring on, but I still use the TM AB throttle because of the rudder control and straightforward button layout.

I've had a mixed experience though with the TM Top Gun AB. The first I bought from US store on a military base in Japan. Worked great through heavy use for a few years, but the pots started spiking and the gimble was worn out on the stick. Very heavily used though, I got my moneys worth.

The second one I got from a store in downtown Tokyo, Akihabara district. It never worked right, and I'm starting to suspect it was not authentic.

Overall, I'd recommend it. After all, I'm still using the throttle, 7 years on.

Gringo_UK1
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Hi Gringo UK!!!I LOVE the sound of a heavy return spring -make a nice change from the floppy rubbish in Saiteks .However 'innacurate' desnt sound great.Care to elaborate-sure its not just a trimming issue?
Hmmm..hard to explain really, could've just needed some messing with the trim/settings, but after 5 mins of flying my arm was going numb from the effort of trying to keep the bloody stick where i wanted it!!! It made smooth manouvers difficult, i was always fighting the stick so the plane tended to jerk around alot, shooting accurately was nigh on impossible, even on X3(space sim) it was alot harder to fight, even with the predictive/correcting targeting computer :S , luckily the problem with my sidewinder was something o/s related, I tried it again out of sheer frustration and it worked fine, hasn't had any probs since either!!

sean.mblemail
03-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Speedlink Flightstick

The upsides are
1. it is by far the cheapest flightstick of any worth out there.
2. Whole set-up is mostly very smooth and easy to use.
3. It's just plug and play, you don't need the software provided if you don't want the vibration feature.
4. It can be used balanced on your lap in front of the TV. (tested)

downsides
1. a few less buttons to hand, you'll need your PC keyboard for extra functions.
2. heavy rudder/yaw control
3. sometimes jumpy throttle response.

I have had two of these in 12 months and mostly its a very nice unit.

However it has a couple of faults that need to be noted:-

The throttle control can become very jumpy, but this can be fixed by opening the base up and pushing out the throttle potentiometer and fully twisting it back a forward a bit then pop everything back where you found it and hey-presto nice smooth throttle action! I guess you can wash and repeat if it goes wrong again.

As I mentioned above, the spring on the rudder control return is very heavy. This is might be good for fine manoeuvring as you can't move it accidently.

BUT it is also the Achilles heal as in both my BW joysticks, this spring snapped after a few months of fairly frequent use.
~The rudder still worked, but it all was very light and you had to centre it yourself. A bit fiddly sometimes.

The first time I just bought another joystick (I said they are cheap), but it has just happened again.
If you are ok with a screwdriver, replacing this spring will be easy, but it's finding one that is the problem.

I'm trying to source another return spring, but currently no luck.

This fault is a real shame as otherwise I'd be able to highly recommend the Black Widow.
As it is I can only say if you need a cheap HOTAS set-up and are not likely to give it to much abuse, then it can be good to see if you like this type of controller.

If I can work out how to repair mine, I'll let you know.

Should I have to replace it again I'm going to look at the dearer Saitek.