PDA

View Full Version : I Bought The Game To Play...Not Research Fixes

one.zero
04-29-2005, 02:05 PM
This "Bandaid" thing is overwhelming. I bought the game to play, and now I find myself spending incredible amounts of time attempting to find patches, mods and go arounds for all the bugs and missing features. I just can't afford to dedicate this level of time to what is clearly "Developement" efforts of the game, something that UBI was charged with.

I'm uninstalling and perhaps checking in about once per month to see if this product matures to the level of a simlator...or digresses to a mega patched and modified game by it's community.

Thanks to all who research these bugs and make the mod's. Hat's off to your dedication and efforts. I only wish I had the time to build the game, but I could hope we actually recived one for payment rendered.

Carry on..

U-49
04-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Check back soon. Patch v1.3 is rumored to be around the corner. Perhaps it may address some of your concerns.

Cheers.

jmikkelsen
04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
patch 1.3??? it should be patch 2.0 with all these bugs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

U-49
04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
pacth 1.3??? it should be patch 2.0 with all these bugs. Well, keep in mind that a patch can be small with only one or two minor tweaks, or it can be an all encompassing behemoth that fixes many issues and/or adds new content.

Not saying v1.3 is either, as obviously I have absolutely no idea.

alanschu
04-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Because the number of the patch makes a difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

When I make my own games I'm going to be like Patch 123.25 followed by patch 2342345 because it's just soooooooooo much better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Frederf221
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Actually, there IS a meaning to the numbers. It's a agreed upon system of "how significant" the change is and assigning that change to either either the ones, tenths, hundreds, ect place. For example, 1.0 and 2.0 are supposed to be incompatable, while 1.0 and 1.1 are supposed to be compatable. But no one adheres to the standard... so yeah, rather meaningless.

As it stands. The game is QUITE playable right out of the box w/ the official patches alone. The obvious thing is that the game can be much better with modification, so you feel compelled to play the best SHIII you can.

Funny enough I'm glad for this, opposite of yourself, because I spend about 3x more time on forums and in the directories than actually playing it. I think that's the most enjoyable part. If I was just hands-off, no-mod playing the game. I'd get bored of it real fast, but I spend a small time playing so I have yet to burn out on it.

HeibgesU999
04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
The whole Combat Missions series is based on the idea that a game should be supermoddable, and that the mod community plays a very valuable role in making the games better.

And I agree, that this game very playable out of the box with just the official mods.

I have played over 100 hours, and have only discovered one small problem that was really easily resolved.

U-49
04-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
game very playable out of the box with just the official mods. There are definitely a lot of mods, but none of them are official, as you refer to them. Many of the mods are linked from the official SH3 site, albeit with the caveat of Please bear in mind that this is not an official Ubisoft partner and we do not endorse their mod, any changes you make using this mod or otherwise could render your game installation useless. If you install any file from this website you do so at your own risk.

HeibgesU999
04-29-2005, 03:39 PM
So the Ubi 1.1 and 1.2 mods aren't official?

U-49
04-29-2005, 03:41 PM
So the Ubi 1.1 and 1.2 mods aren't official? Those aren't mods. Those are patches. Big difference. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cloud_Cat
04-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Frederf221:
Actually, there IS a meaning to the numbers. It's a agreed upon system of "how significant" the change is and assigning that change to either either the ones, tenths, hundreds, ect place. For example, 1.0 and 2.0 are supposed to be incompatable, while 1.0 and 1.1 are supposed to be compatable. But no one adheres to the standard... so yeah, rather meaningless.

Not strictly true, i know of developers who do use the standard, 1c:maddox, of the beloved Il2 series brought out patches for pacifiic fighters 3.03/ 3.04 etc. then the next patch was supposed to be 3.05 but they're re-writing the flight model so it's now called patch 4.00.

So it still gets used.

Sorry fred, not being picky, actually not sure why i even responded. Can't say it makes a jack of difference what number you designate to a patch as long as the bleeder works.

Regards

Antrodemus
04-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Jeez... 3 months later and he still hasn't resized his 700KB avatar pic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

One-zero, every time someone clicks a thread that you've made or replied to, they have to download that 700KB pic that you have for your avatar. How about sparing a thought for those who don't have fast connections?

A.

WhiteKnight77
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I may be able to get it removed if he doesn't do so himself.

Pr0metheus 1962
04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by one.zero:
I Bought The Game To Play...Not Research Fixes

Hmm. I bought the game both to play and to research fixes. In my opinion it's part of the fun.

dasgespenst
04-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't know about the fun but the fact remains that I now know a h*** of a lot more about my PC than before, and my SHIII works for me.

But I would rather have had it work right away and taken a course in how PCs work - it would have saved me from some serious frustrations along the way.

Thank god for the lots of helpful people around here - without you I would have been in the funny farm by now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Wolfar777
04-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Antrodemus:
Jeez... 3 months later and he still hasn't resized his 700KB avatar pic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

One-zero, every time someone clicks a thread that you've made or replied to, they have to download that 700KB pic that you have for your avatar. How about sparing a thought for those who don't have fast connections?

A.

HAR HAR!! I was thinking the exact same thing! Freaking huge avaitar. No wonder his computer is riddled with BUGS!

Targ
04-29-2005, 06:39 PM
one.zero, please resize your avatar picture. I have removed it for now until you find the time to fix it properly.

WhiteKnight77
04-29-2005, 09:47 PM
For the record, I did not say anything to anyone.

hauitsme
04-29-2005, 11:17 PM
WhiteKnight77:
For the record, I did not say anything to anyone.
You didn't have to. But at least it is done.

------------------

He was told to fix his avatar MONTHS ago by about 20 people. At least this time he's not crying about how this forum is dying and going offline.