PDA

View Full Version : Rudder trim and prop rotation

ddsflyer
12-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Why is it that the Bf-109 and Fw-190 have minimal to no rudder trim effect with power changes especially at full power, when virtually all other allied A/C do? Just wondering. Also, why do the British aircraft propellers turn in the same direction as the American ones when they should turn the other way? Just wondering. Also, do the Russian engines also turn left as do the British? I know the modern ones do.

ddsflyer
12-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Why is it that the Bf-109 and Fw-190 have minimal to no rudder trim effect with power changes especially at full power, when virtually all other allied A/C do? Just wondering. Also, why do the British aircraft propellers turn in the same direction as the American ones when they should turn the other way? Just wondering. Also, do the Russian engines also turn left as do the British? I know the modern ones do.

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I dunno exactly but, i think they did not have rudder trim. At least, no inflight adjustable rudder trim. you could fix a piece of metal, slightly bent to the rudder on the ground, that was the trim IIRC

Taylortony
12-24-2004, 10:19 AM
not true the griffon spit turns opposite to the merlin spit and also a lot of twins have em rotating against each other engine to counteract the torque

jeroen-79
12-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Platypus is correct, the Germans didn't have in-cockpit ruddertrim.

There was a tab that could be adjusted on th ground.

TX-EcoDragon
12-24-2004, 01:13 PM
What he means (as far as I can tell) is that power changes don't require very much associated change in rudder input/pressure requirements. Normally as power is advanced more rudder pressure is required to counter the effects of torque and p-factor to maintain coordinated flight (this effect is greatest at low speed/high AoA). The sim tends to "auto-coordinate" and this happens in all planes to some extent not simply the 190 and 109. I haven't yet flown with any PF version higher than 3.0 though. . . things may be a little different now.

BuzzU
12-24-2004, 02:42 PM
You'll also find that the Russian props turn in both directions depending on the plane.