PDA

View Full Version : Could MOD tools be released?

JFSOCC
03-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm thinking there are a lot of capable programmers out there making great mods for games, and Assassins' creed is certainly a game with a lot of potential for added content.

THE way to ensure to keep a game's fan community healthy is to allow mods. you can see it with civilization games, half life games, elder scrolls series, even Knights of the old republic games, where mod tools are fan created, still has an active community going.

and there are plenty of things people could do with assassins' creed.
we could add proper side quests, add factions which you can choose to ignore or not. add different weapons to be gained. perhaps it could be programmed that the assassinations aren't scripted and set like now, but instead, you could, depending on the quests and research done, pick a place and time, from several options available.

I know that for Knights of the Old republic 1+2, there are also restoration projects going on (having been a beta tester for one of those)
which focus only on adding the content cut from the game due to it needing to meet a release schedule. it wouldn't surprise me assassins' creed has such content. I recall the remark, during one of the demo movies before the game was released that you'd gotten the scholars to hide you because you did a sidequest for them earlier. now perhaps this was a proper sidequest that was scrapped? I do not know.

but I do know that fans could add a lot to the game, while we wait for a sequel.
I mean, this game could easily have been changed from an adventure into a role playing game, by adding choice. giving the player the option to pursue more than one playstyle would only increase the enjoyment. some people want to be stealthy, some like the current format, others might like to use traps. and... some like to blow stuff up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KZarr
03-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Let's just day Ubisoft isn't so keen on modding

dtisalive
03-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by KZarr:
Let's just day Ubisoft isn't so keen on modding

Very true. Moreover, AC is a port from the consoles - nearly impossible to mod.

Yet, someone IS definitely modding it - there's a thread in that matter in this forum too. It's called the 'Assassin's Creed HD Mod' if I remember correctly.

JFSOCC
03-09-2009, 07:20 AM
could you link to that thread, search is not turning up the mod project in question.

KZarr
03-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Also Texmod works on AC too.