PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! Fresh windows install!

Skoshi Tiger
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Wow! My system was about 2 1/2yrs old and had ground to a halt! Even an upgrade to 7600 AGP card did not make a difference.
My system

Althlon XP2400+
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
1gb RAM
NVidia 7600GS
160GB Hard drive
Track IR3
CH Fighterstick
CH Throttle (gameport)
Thrustmaster Elite pedals

So far I have
--------------
WinXP SP2
Nvidia video and M'board drivers
IL2 1946
--------------
It's like a new computer.

I have 23 processes runing compared to the 45 running before.

The problem is, shes running so good I don't want to put anything else on her to spoil it!!!!!

If Only BoB would come along and I can upgrade to a decent computer! (I'm holding out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

F19_Orheim
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I did pretty much the same last week mate - something that I do regularly once every 6-8 months or so ( I keep all non system related files on another disc, and all installation files for different applications I want to run on it on CDs ). For me a total re-installation takes about 2-3 hours, and then I am back again).

A LOT of cr@p ends up on your computer during the years. Even though I did this just 6 months ago, I ended up with at least 7-8 extra FPS, maybe not too much for some, but when you are avaraging around 30 and then hits almost 40 after reinstallment... and so much smoother, it makes a huge difference. I have pretty much the same HW as you.

R_Target
09-18-2007, 04:34 AM
It's a good feeling.

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Once your system is installed and running nice, use Acronis True image and make an image of it (snap shot). Load the junk later if needed, But if you ever need to get back to that fresh fast install just restore the image in 5 mins and you are good to go. You can make various images as you go along also and just name them such as Fresh Install, After Loading 1946, After Loading SP2 etc.

If you have a totAl HD crash just use a the bootable CD method to get up on running with a new HD.

PS

Keep your main OS partition small 10-20 GB so the image is small and create another partition called GamePart-1 to install the games on.

With a small OS partition you can actually put the image on a DVD for extra safe backup.

A 10-20 GB partition usually makes for a 4 GB image as its compressed.

T_O_A_D
09-18-2007, 06:02 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I have my system dual boot.

Both are Imaged, onto DVD.

One is for all things considered PC.

the other is only a Install with all gaming perifials, and required game addon progs like Teamspeak, etc.

I game with 24 processes running.

When ever I need to, I can drop in and reimage the install with my DVD and have a fresh install again in less than 30 minutes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Oh I have 4 partitions, two used for OS's and one for MyDocuments, and the other for game installs. So I never loose my Games, or my Documents due to a OS install.

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Yea TOAD thats the way to go. I cant find any better alternative to imaging OS partitions. Simple Critical Data is simply copied to reciprical HD's or backed up on Jump Drive or DVD.

stathem
09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Same here!

Just upgraded from a Radeon 9500TX to a 7600GS.

New 500W PSU (from 250W)

Clean install; Got NOD32 and dropped over 80Mb of RAM from the Norton I had on before.

1Gb of RAM from before but still the game's a bit limited by the 2.6GHz P4 processor.

Now I just need time to get some flying in.

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Its hard to believe anyone use Norton. Norton is for those who are to naive to know about NOD, AVG, or Avira. Norton was good under DOS and then it turned inot a resource hog under windows.

stathem
09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Its hard to believe anyone use Norton. Norton is for those who are to naive to know about NOD, AVG, or Avira. Norton was good under DOS and then it turned inot a resource hog under windows.

Well, life is a learning process.

JG51_Rudel
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I just did a fresh OS Xp Pro(modified for games), and this is the result.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/emiljan-1991/untitled.jpg

Before the Reinstall my pc was using 430mb of my ram and i was running 32 processes in the background.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Could not agree more. Personally I use Eset NOD32 and love it. Its very light, only bothers you when it has too, and is very very effective.

S!

Wild.Bill.Kelso
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I just Ghost my system after I first set it up. Then it only takes about 5 minutes to go back to a clean setup running fast. I also do that about once every 6 months or so.

Sama51
09-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I have 63 processes running... =/

MEGILE
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
A fresh windows install is like stepping out of the shower, scratching the crotch and admiring the manhood in the mirror.

Good times.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I thought it said French windows. I was looking forward to some property renovation tips.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sama51:
I have 63 processes running... =/

WOW! I boot up with 29 running and have not done a reinstall of windows for about 9 months. I believe this is the longest I have went.

S!

ploughman
09-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I have no ikea what you're all on about.

JG52Uther
09-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Think I have 40 processes running,when gaming.
But then I have 2 gbs of ram so its not really a problem.

UgoRipley
09-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
...snip...
Oh I have 4 partitions, two used for OS's and one for MyDocuments, and the other for game installs. So I never loose my Games, or my Documents due to a OS install.

I have soon to reinstall XP and I had a look to Acronis True Image.
This time I'll make an OS image after reinstalling, and here comes the noob Q:
if I have 2 separate HDs and I use HD1 just for OS and HD2 for, say, games and apps, after I restore an OS image do I need to reinstall games and apps too ??

And how large a partition should I create on HD1 to hold XP Home with SP2 and all its updates ?

Thanks

crucislancer
09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm getting ready to do the same thing with mine, I think it's been 18 months since I last did reformated. Of course, I'm debateing whether to wait until I get a new HD, which will most likely be next month, or ride it out and hope it doesn't get to the point where it takes forever to boot up.

Hopefully I'll be able to get 2gb of ram next month as well, since I'm still running at 512mb. I use EndItAll to kill processes that soak up my memory. I can usually get around 75% of my memory back before loading up a game.

Covino
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Using same XP install for 2 years. I'd be surprised if someone can beat this (processes and mem usage):
http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/desktop.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/photo_hosting.html)

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 05:19 PM
"if I have 2 separate HDs and I use HD1 just for OS and HD2 for, say, games and apps, after I restore an OS image do I need to reinstall games and apps too ??

And how large a partition should I create on HD1 to hold XP Home with SP2 and all its updates ?"

I would make a 20 GB XP partition it should be about a 4GB Acronis Image. Ide install games on the HD in other partitions.

Whatever you do, you wont need to reinstall games if you restore the OS partition and the games are on another partition or HD. But save the image to another HD and to DVD if possible. Also you can now simply backup your game folders by simply copying them to DVD or another HD or imaging them again. That simple.

Before starting make a list of all the stuff your OS will need, drivers, applets, utils etc and get em all loaded and working smoothly then make the image. You can make more images later as you add to the OS and keep em all on a seperate HD or DVD.

The whole idea of a seperate OS on a seperate partion is to keep the image small and ease of restoring withoud having to reload games.

THE WHOLE POINT OF IMAGING (ALSO GHOSTING AS NORTON CALLS IT) IS TO RESORE THE OS FAST AND EASY AND IN A RELIABLE MANNER. The computer will drop into DOS to complete the restoration just so you know.

The old way of using Seagate Backup was unreliable and often had errors. Imaging has been a miracle for me.

Chris0382
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Covino:
Using same XP install for 2 years. I'd be surprised if someone can beat this (processes and mem usage):
http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/desktop.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/photo_hosting.html)

Are any of you guys running XP Smoker Game Enhancer or FS-Auto start to disable un needed processes before launching you games.

crucislancer
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Covino:

Are any of you guys running XP Smoker Game Enhancer or FS-Auto start to disable un needed processes before launching you games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I used EndItAll to shut down processes, but I think I might give these two a try. Thanks!

Covino
09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
FSautostart is great, got a nearly 8 year old PC to play SH3 smoothly.

mortoma
09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I do similar things that you guys do but I never, and I do mean never, dual boot. Instead I use entirely different hard drives for multiple OS. The HDs are mounted in Kingwin mobile racks. You install hard drives in the inserts and then slide them into the rack which is mounted in a extra CD bay. Slide in a OS, boot up, the power down and put in another OS, or a copy/image of a OS. Dual booting can be a disaster should you get a head crash or a power surge crash on a hard drive. If that happens it's likely ruin all your partitioned installs. I would never go back to dual or triple booting from one HD!!!! I learned the hard way.

mortoma
09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Covino:
http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/desktop.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/149819/photo_hosting.html) Heck, I'd be surprised if anybody can actually read that little thing you posted. Is there any chance you could blow that up a little bit and repost?? I can't tell anything about your resource usage by looking at that small graphic. At least not on my laptop, which a HP Pavillion with a wide screen display set at 1280 x 768.

willyvic
09-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I run with 19 processes on bootup. What in the heck are you all running on your systems that loads up 29+ processes?

And mortoma, ya need to click on the image... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WV

Chris0382
09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
mortana I agree with you. I dont dual boot from one HD I have seperate HD's and a bootmanager built into my BIOS. I dont like dual booting from the same HD. My case can fit 5 HD's if needed so no need for rails. Although if computer gets stolen..... so I do remove HD's when I go away for more than a day and thats when external HD are nice.

woofiedog
09-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Had a problem with my DVD player recently and replaced it with a new one... at the same time I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro afterwards. It gave my Rig an excellent little performance boost and IL-2 is running like Brand New.

Will be adding this to the regular maintenance schedule list.

UgoRipley
09-19-2007, 05:52 AM
I would make a 20 GB XP partition it should be about a 4GB Acronis Image. Ide install games on the HD in other partitions.
....snip....
The whole idea of a seperate OS on a seperate partion is to keep the image small and ease of restoring withoud having to reload games.
....snip....

Ok, thanks Chris.
I have two Western Digital HDs, 150 and 250 Gb. The 150 is 10000rpm, the 250 is 7200rpm.
The OS is on the fastest one.
I also have an external USB drive where I hold all my backups, so I have all I need to undergo the process (drivers, mail, documents, settings and personal data from games, etc).
I downloaded and got a registration key for Acronis TrueImage 7.0.

I have some more questions:

- From what you write I'd assume that Acronis makes an image of a whole partition, regardless of how much data is there, right ??

- Should I make a partition on the fastest HD just for the XP virtual mamory swap file ??

- I still don't catch this point: first I reinstall XP, SP2, patches, drivers, anything I need to get a stable working pc, usually as least apps as possible, then I create an image of the working OS. THEN the subsequent installation of mostly anything (on the second HD, or on another partition) surely writes something in the registry. Some will be "heavily needed apps" (1946, Ati Tray Tools, Cougar software, Firefox, Thunderbird...), some other things will be just **** (demos, shareware, redundant apps, things I can live without).
After some months I'll end up having the usual problems (pc slowdowns, registry full of useless keys, etc.) and I decide to restore the OS image I took. Am I not gonna miss all the registry informations for the "heavily needed apps"? Don't I need to reinstall them anyway (even if over themselves) at that point ?
Or does Acronis manage incremental images, taking care of the registry changes too ??

Thanks - Ugo

Sokol__1
09-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Some will be "heavily needed apps" (1946, Ati Tray Tools, Cougar software, Firefox, Thunderbird...)

These listed up, only 1946 need install in second partition/disk.
The others can be installed with SO, due registry issue.

Usually 1946 dont need a registry key - but thirdy part ad-ons need, ie BOE...

Sokol1

mortoma
09-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Ya know, if you have a good registry cleaner, a lot of times you don't have to reinstall XP once a year, if at all. It's not only extra running background programs and services but also too many files period, too much spyware, not running defrag often enough and last, but not least, clearing old or bad registry entries. It's the latter that indeed makes the biggest difference overall. If you do all that Windows can run for a long time.

My install of Windowd 98SE still is chugging along nicely after a year and a half. I use it to run our beloved sim on!!! But it has zero background programs, is not connected to the internet, rarely gets a new program installed and is defragged and registry cleaned constantly.

Chris0382
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes install OS and most used apps that need speed on fastest HD

Yes Acronis makes image of all data on partition regardless of how much data.

Yes make an image of OS with registry entries of your games and apps as I neglected that fact. Make image of OS after installing games so you have registry data.

Thanks for pointing out that oversight on my part.

RAF_OldBuzzard
09-21-2007, 11:45 PM
I use a little 'goodie' called HyperOS http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

It allows me to have up to 22 different installs of XP, XP x64, Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit at one time. Each is seperate from the other, but still visible to each other. It also makes archiving, restoring and cloning OS's just a matter of click and drag.

I have one XP Pro x64 partition just for 1946, another for general web surfing, A couple of 32 bit installs of XP Pro for things like Half-Life2 and other 'shooters', and another for CFS2, CFS3, FS9, and FSX. A partition just for the wife, and one for #2 son. I also have a spare partition or two so that I can clone a 'working' one for testing new drivers, software and other stuff. That way if somethng borks the system, all I have to do is re-boot to another working one, and I haven't lost any time.

It's a fine piece of software, and I'm amazed that more people don't take advantage of it.

anarchy52
09-22-2007, 02:50 AM
My last install was 17th March 2004, no need to reinstall the OS. I'm running XP Pro SP2.

RAM usage is about 270 MB (out of 2 gigs), 40 processes in idle state (drivers, antivirus (I highly recommend AVG), Nokia stuff, Saitek stuff, daemon tools (why o why won't they release the no-cd patch for BF2 already), vmware stuff (I do serious work on the machine as well).

The.Tyke
09-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Once your system is installed and running nice, use Acronis True image and make an image of it (snap shot). Load the junk later if needed, But if you ever need to get back to that fresh fast install just restore the image in 5 mins and you are good to go. You can make various images as you go along also and just name them such as Fresh Install, After Loading 1946, After Loading SP2 etc.

This Acronis, is it any better then using system restore ? At the moment I format and reinstall, will the Acronis give you as 'fresh' a system as a format and re-install ?

mortoma
09-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:

It allows me to have up to 22 different installs of XP, XP x64, Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit at one time. Each is seperate from the other, but still visible to each other. It also makes archiving, restoring and cloning OS's just a matter of click and drag.

I have one XP Pro x64 partition just for 1946, another for general web surfing, A couple of 32 bit installs of XP Pro for things like Half-Life2 and other 'shooters', and another for CFS2, CFS3, FS9, and FSX. A partition just for the wife, and one for #2 son. I also have a spare partition or two so that I can clone a 'working' one for testing new drivers, software and other stuff. That way if somethng borks the system, all I have to do is re-boot to another working one, and I haven't lost any time.

It's a fine piece of software, and I'm amazed that more people don't take advantage of it. A spike/surge to the hard drive would probably trash all of your images on all the partitions. As would a physical head crash on the platters. This is no better than standard partitioning in the first place. That's why my method is superior, although more expensive.
You can have several hard drives yourself and so could the wife/kids. All you have to do is pop one in and boot up.

mortoma
09-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by The.Tyke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:

This Acronis, is it any better then using system restore ? At the moment I format and reinstall, will the Acronis give you as 'fresh' a system as a format and re-install ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes it would be as fresh with his method, since he makes an image right after he installs Windows and some of his favorite app/games. Restoring to an image like that would be like going back in time to when he first installed Windows and the most important apps/games. It would be very fresh indeed. It would save a lot of time over installing Windows and all the drivers and important software you have to reinstall!!! I have done what he does many times but with Norton Ghost, not Acronis. My brother tried Acronis but never got it to work very well, so I got him using Norton. He is able to clone now.

T_O_A_D
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by UgoRipley:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
...snip...

I have soon to reinstall XP and I had a look to Acronis True Image.
This time I'll make an OS image after reinstalling, and here comes the noob Q:
if I have 2 separate HDs and I use HD1 just for OS and HD2 for, say, games and apps, after I restore an OS image do I need to reinstall games and apps too ??

And how large a partition should I create on HD1 to hold XP Home with SP2 and all its updates ?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the Delay on getting back into this thread, but after reading it through, I see you questions have been answered.

Oh I use Ghost aswell, right after a fresh install, and most important progs installed and tested.

I also put both my OS in the dual boot on seperate drives, and both of these drives are partioned. Working drive, has a 5 gig partition for its Install, and window based programs, IE photoshop, Studio 8, etc. The remander of the drive is the partion I install my Games, IE IL2, GTRw, etc.

The Second drive had a 20 gig partion for my Gaming OS and its required Progs, IE Teamspeak, Saitek Profiler, VAC, etc.

The other partion and remander of this drive is where I store my Documents.

RAF_OldBuzzard
09-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:

It's a fine piece of software, and I'm amazed that more people don't take advantage of it. A spike/surge to the hard drive would probably trash all of your images on all the partitions. As would a physical head crash on the platters. This is no better than standard partitioning in the first place. That's why my method is superior, although more expensive.
You can have several hard drives yourself and so could the wife/kids. All you have to do is pop one in and boot up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all. I keep the backups on a seperate HDD. At worst, I'd just have to do a quick clean install of XP on C:, install HOS on it, and then click and drag my backups back on to the replaced HDD.

To tell the truth, since I started playing with PC's back in the 8086 days, I've only had ONE HDD fail, and that one failed almost instantly. Didn't even last long enough to get an OS on it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't seem to have hardware issues to amount to anything, and I keep my system up 24/7. About the only time I shut down is to upgrade.

I've been using HyperOS since 2002, and it's been bulletproof