PDA

View Full Version : Info Request on new ATI Video Cards

TonyPiech
11-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm currenly running with an ATI 9800XT which was the "state-of-the-art" 18 months ago. It's struggling right-now to run PF on the very-high settings (perfect/excellent). Does anyone have some info on the best(strongest) ATI card out ther now; and is something newer & stonger coming-out shortly? I prefer ATI over nVidia, because the newer nVidia cards require two slots and a larger power supply.

I've got a Dell XPS running at 3.0 Ghz, with 2Mhz of RAM. I'd like to run PF maxed-out with a purchase of a new vid-card after Christmas.

TonyPiech
11-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm currenly running with an ATI 9800XT which was the "state-of-the-art" 18 months ago. It's struggling right-now to run PF on the very-high settings (perfect/excellent). Does anyone have some info on the best(strongest) ATI card out ther now; and is something newer & stonger coming-out shortly? I prefer ATI over nVidia, because the newer nVidia cards require two slots and a larger power supply.

I've got a Dell XPS running at 3.0 Ghz, with 2Mhz of RAM. I'd like to run PF maxed-out with a purchase of a new vid-card after Christmas.

ddsflyer
11-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Kinda depends upon your bus speed. If you have a 533mhz bus you will not gain as much as you will with an 800mhz bus. I assume you meant 2gb of RAM presumably DDR. With my system on a 22" monitor I get typically 40-60FPS at 1200x1600x32 4XAA, 4XAF. That is about as good as you can get with an X800XTPE.

OneTinSoldier77
11-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Hello Tony,

My system is very similar to ddsflyer's. I have the same video card he does, an ATI Radeon X800 XT PE(Platinum Edition). Mine is actaully a Sapphire brand card. Sapphire doesn't advertise it as a PE even though that's what it is. Why I don't know. Anyway, that is the best ATI card you can get at this time, an X800 XT PE.

Although I don't know for sure, I doubt something better is coming out shortly. Heck it took like five months from the time the X800 XT PE was announced as an official card before I was able to get one. So that's something you might want to consider too. And theese cards are very expensive! But I love mine, double the framerate(or a little more) than my old ATI 9700 Pro.

System Specs:
Intel 3.4C(C = Northwood) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, 1 GB Muskin '222' Special(Low Latency) PC3200 RAM, NEC MultiSync FE2111SB 21" Monitor, ATI(Sapphire) Radeon X800 XT PE Videocard with v4.12 Catalyst Drivers, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Soundcard, 250 GB w/8 MB Cache Western Digital HDD, WinXP Pro SP2