PDA

View Full Version : Combat 101

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Ok this is to help people on the forums as I have seen alot of people asking how to do this move and that move, but not really getting any detail on how to do the moves. So what i'll do is break it down into either stealth, counter, combo etc so you can see what it falls under.

Stealth

The main question I see people ask is how to do the leap stealth kill, the problem is there are 2 types and people usually explain one type and not both. Ill break the 2 moves into Leaping kill ( not a great name but its just to explain how the move is done ) and roof kill ( another bad name but you can give it a name if you want, perhaps eagle kill lol )

Leaping kill

This move is executed (wink)when you run towards a target that you have locked onto or not, then press the assassinate button when in range while maintaining the high profile posture. Altair leaps onto the victim and jams the hidden blade into their neck/face as they fall to the floor. Its a very loud kill in that everyone will know you did it as you stay on the victim for a while. This move can be done from the front or behind.

Roof kill

This move is done from a raised surface either a low roof, ledge or anything else thats off the floor ie railing, boxes, anything like that.
Altair leaps off the object and does a similar thing to the leaping kill, this one is also loud no hiding who you are after using this move. Its executed by standing on the structure, either locking on or not, running towards target, then hitting the assassination button ( its better if you tap the button, but im gonna experiment and see if you can just hold the button before you reach the edge ). Now with this move a few things have to be done to pull it off, I will explain what you need to do and not do to pull it off.

1) You must be on ledge that you can run off i.e Altair runs off the top and does a roll on the floor. If he spins and catches the legde, your too high you need to find a lower roof.

2) You don't push the jump button, it doesnt work if you jump off the structure, you have to let Altair run off it.

3) when your close to the edge or on the edge ( if your going from static) start tapping the assassinate button, I find it works better than waiting till it says assassinate as sometimes, due to the angle, it only flashes up for a split second.

4) You must do it in High profile, becuase its a loud kill, you dont get the option to do it in low profile.

Altair also has other various hidden blade kills such as non running high profile kills from front, back, and side, ones where he kicks you in the legs so you drop to your knees then jams you in the neck, or hand round the neck jam in the stomache etc.

Finally, experiment, I found that you can roof kill from hanging, I did it on William, I entered where he was with the scholars, didnt see an oppertunity, left the scholars outside the room he was in, climbed the ladder near by, came in from above as there is a structure behind him, ( at the time I didnt really understand how to do the roof kill ) tried jumping but missed and grabbed a ledge behind him, was hanging off it when I noticed that assassinate higlighted when I pressed high profile, did it and Altair brought his feet up, kicked off the wall and roof killed him

Combo kill
This is used when you are in combat, you attack the person, they block but you go through their guard and kill them. To do the move is relativly simple, you press your attack button at the same time as the enemy blocks your attack. I.e you press attack, Altair swings, the enemy blocks, at the smae time he blocks you press attack again, you get a cool animation of Altair killing his foe.
Again with this move, a few things have to be true in order for it to work.

1) The enemy has to block the attack as opposed to deflect, if they deflect then you cant do it.
When the enemy blocks you get the animation of the two weapons clanging then both blades move away from each other, force on force. If the enemy deflects the attack the animation you get is Altair driving through but the enemy kind of rolls with the attack deflecting it away, not opposing it.

2) If its a strong enemy it may take a few attempts at it, its almost as if they have a health bar you have to wear down first before you can use the move but with these guys I find it better if you the first attack is a strong attack then it seems it takes less attacks to get the combo kill. I also find that if you dodge first the enemy is gonna block not deflect the next attack.

Counter Kills
These are done by holding the high profile button, in combat, and pressing the attack button at the same time as the enemy's attack is gonna hit. If your opponent is strong, your gonna punch them in the ribs or something instead of run them through with the weapon, and you have to do it a few times to get the kill. The exception is if your using the hidden blade in combat, then all counters are kills.

To break legs you have to counter a heavy blow, i.e the enemy uses a strong attack against you. Altair does a few moves, then leaves the enemy standing for a second, at this time you can either press attack, Altair will kill with the weapon, press legs, Altair will break the enemy's legs, or press grab, he will grab or nekc break I think depending on enemy postion, or what move he used initially. I tried pressing head, hoping to see a headbutt kill but he goes into eagle vision instead.

Finally I did a move with Altair, when I first got the shortblade, I was using the sword, I did a counter and im sure Altair pulled out the shortblade, slashed the guy, killed him then put it back, or changed weapon, I cant remember fully as it happened so fast. Im gonna try and find out if I was dreaming, but im gonna try and change during the leg break/slash option pause, and see if that works.

colt122
11-19-2007, 04:23 AM
thanks mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stix489
11-19-2007, 04:24 AM
WOW dude...very long yet very nice first post.

That was very helpful thanks a lot! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't even played the game and I'm intrigued in the selection of moves which you've described! Again thanks a bunch for all this, it must have taken you a while to type up!

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks guys, still got more experimenting to do, will post up when I find out about other things Altair can do.

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Aint anyone gonna give me any suggestions on how to make the guide better?

At the minute im trying to assassinate from horse back i.e jump off the horse after a gallop then hidden balde, so far no good.

colt122
11-19-2007, 05:42 AM
nope its good enough already http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
just think of the coolest moves you can do and try to find out how to do them
then post >http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif:A:LDAS>DAS<>DASL:

hunterd1970
11-19-2007, 05:43 AM
I tried pressing head, hoping to see a headbutt kill but he goes into eagle vision instead.

Lol!!!!

Great guide man. Thanks.

Actually, there is something that bothers me in combat. I don't know if you encountered it before. Sometimes, Altair just doesn't want to move, nor do anything. He just stays there as if blocked by something and dumbly awaits to get slashed. This happens a lot to me when I'm about to get de-synchronized. It's really annoying. I'm there like an idiot, trying to counter, to block, to dodge, but nothing happens.

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes I know what you mean. What happens is your enemy uses a guard break on you. It pretty much leaves you defensless for a short period of time, so far the only way I found to get out of it is to really time a counter, or dodge, but it really messes up my timing so ive only avoided it a few times.

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Ok so if anyones got any queries about stealth kills or combat post em up, we'll see if we can find an answer

Oshikai
11-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice post, really helpful http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Arlington
11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Steelhandchun:
Yes I know what you mean. What happens is your enemy uses a guard break on you. It pretty much leaves you defensless for a short period of time, so far the only way I found to get out of it is to really time a counter, or dodge, but it really messes up my timing so ive only avoided it a few times.

I have never had any luck countering. I guess you can counter the "second strike". You can dodge it though, seems like you want to hit dodge once you hear the clank of them knocking your sword out of the way.

corbinion
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Throwing:

Must be in High Profile and press "O" (in PS3 version)

Although suggested as a move to toss people out of your running retreat, it can be very useful in combat, is also a good way to interrogate.

monkeehands
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Try using the grab/throw to throw guards into market stall or scaffolding, the whole lot collapses on them which makes a change from stabbing everyone.

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Has anyone tried using the sword to collapse a structure yet. So far my attempts to do it haven't worked.

Grandmaster_Z
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
thanks for the post, can you explain this one a little more, its a hidden blade one

ones where he kicks you in the legs so you drop to your knees then jams you in the neck,

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Ok, that hidden blade technique is one Altair does from behind. You go into high profile and assassinate from behind. For some reason though, he sometimes does the leaping attack, even though you arent running. The attack is the same one Altair uses on the old guy at the beginning of the game.

Grandmaster_Z
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
when i go into high profile and assissinate, he always does the leaping one. Do i have to be standing still, and then just press high profile, then assassinate?

Destrier
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Wicked guide, i have still had no luck doing leaping kills from roofs but reading your guide i think its because im trying from too high.

I also lock onto the enemies when im on the roof and i become hunted which is annoying. So now i know i can do it without a lockon i will have another go.

One thing though you have got the counter bit wrong, you need to press high profile and attack when the enemy is swinging for you not as they hit. This maybe what Arlington is doing wrong?

Countering is the easiest thing to do and i try not to do it most times since it makes many fights easy. I just use it as a back up when im losing or when i want to see some nasty kills.

A question, is there any real difference between the sword and the knife other then the looks. Since in game both block the same and hit the same. The kills just look different.

Steelhandchun
11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok grandmaster you do have to be standing still to do the stealth kill. If you move he does the leaping kill, try it on the archers on roofs, sneak up then high profile em from behind.

Metal dragon, yeah your right it is as they swing to counter.

The difference i've found with the sword and knife so far is obviously the distance and the speed.

The sword has a longer reach, where as the shortblade is quicker.

What this means is that when you attack multiple enemies with the sword, you have a better chance of hitting them, even when they are a bit further afield.

With the shortblade, as long as enemies are close enough you can totally blitz them with the speed, hitting them before they hit you with a move. I know with the blade you also have the throwing knives aswell, for further out enemies, but I find when they are in a certain range, instead of throwing, Altair tries to slash at them, falling short of hitting them.

Steelhandchun
11-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Just trying to keep it near the top for people so they dont post up the same questions

JMCA2006
11-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
thanks for the post, can you explain this one a little more, its a hidden blade one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ones where he kicks you in the legs so you drop to your knees then jams you in the neck, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done this a few times, you just need to do a combo with the Short Sword (Dagger?) and he will break the enemies knee then break his neck aswell, pretty cool kill if you ask me.