PDA

View Full Version : OT...Rome Total War..is it worth it?

MichaelMar
10-18-2004, 09:28 AM
The only game I play, on the the pc, is IL2, but lately I was considering buying the new game on the block...Rome Total War.

I played many a miniature games with metal painted figures, mostly historical, and seem to really enjoy painting and playing with miniatures better then pc games. I have a rather large collection of ancient figures, along with other periods, and like setting them all up, with other players, for a grand sized table top battle.

Anyone played RTW and if so what are your opinions of the game? Is it similar to the other Total War series? What about the graphics, tactics, on line battles...?

THX

GrinderX9
10-18-2004, 09:39 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/review.html

It is worth it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

clint-ruin
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Speaking as a big, big MTW fan - I'm pretty underwhelmed with it so far. I think once it reaches the same maturity as MTW did after the Vikings expansion it'll be great. It's not there yet. Amazingly the individual 3d units manage to look even more ******ed fighting each other than the old 2d sprites did, at times, which is a big, big bummer. Pathfinding AI is awful. Music is a lot less interesting than MTWs. War Elephants can take a flaming onager boulder to the head, and ask for another. You will no doubt get a lot of people telling you to go buy it now, but frankly having bought it I wish I'd waited until it was cheaper. Loved it for the first few days, but some of the minor issues get very annoying after a while.

edit: actually - biggest disappointment? They managed to make city and castle sieges boring. Ouch!

mcTOPGUNs
10-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Its worth every penny! All 25 of it. Not a fan of that genre at all - but this one made me buy it. Simply stunning. If any of you havent heard of it read some reviews http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - got 95% in PCGAMER. Only 1% under HL2

ploughman
10-18-2004, 09:49 AM
I brought it, I played it non-stop for about 72 hours, and I haven't played it since. The battles, which I was really looking forward to, lack any opportunity for any real tactical input once forces are joined and last about 120 secs, which is pretty lame.

roybaty
10-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I have to agree that multiplayer is lacking, though I am finding the single player campaigns very addictive. The TotalWare series has always been lacking in MP mode, and I was hoping for MP turn-based play option like in the SP campaigns.

But I still think it was a good buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ploughman:
I brought it, I played it non-stop for about 72 hours, and I haven't played it since. The battles, which I was really looking forward to, lack any opportunity for any real tactical input once forces are joined and last about 120 secs, which is pretty lame. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zooly235
10-18-2004, 03:25 PM
try the demo, it you like it then buy it, if not then dont.
only you can decide if you like it, remember we all have our own opinions, dont let antyhing said in here sway you (personal opinions are only valid to the person who is reviewing/talking).

Destraex
10-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Yes I love it, the AI is not the best though.
It has just about everything but is missing proper supply lines.
Also has some whatif units I do not like

ie head hurlers, screeching german wemon, wardog units

Dr_fuzz
10-19-2004, 04:11 AM
From a big creative assembly fan I bought it and I don't know...... its good but it lacks that buzz that made say medieval total war great.

Beirut
10-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Patch this puppy and all will be well.

There are a few problems, but the inherent greatness of the game is there. And if you have the hardware to run this thing at 1600x1200 (this game screams to be played at high res like no other) with high options, the battles are truly cinematic. I can get about 3000-4000 units going in a battle and still get good FPS, everything maxed, with an AMD64-3000/512/9800Pro.

I haven't figured out the campaign part yet, I'm too used to the old Medieval:Total War setup, but the custom battle editor alone is worth the price. An addictive riot of a game.

And you can still go to war with France! (The Gauls anyway.)

lazio5
10-19-2004, 05:15 AM
always considered this and the TW series the best thing going on PCs.

RTW is great and worth every penny. The modding community is already attacking the game to make it more historicaly accurate, i myself have already edited out some of the bad units.

clint-ruin
10-19-2004, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lazio5:
always considered this and the TW series the best thing going on PCs.

RTW is great and worth every penny. The modding community is already attacking the game to make it more historicaly accurate, i myself have already edited out some of the bad units. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, once it gets some mature mods - like MedMod or XL2.0 or Hellenic going - it's going to be absolutely incredible. The shipping game is a bit stale though, don't you think?

sukebeboy
10-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Wait for a patch and see if they fix the AI. The computer is far too easy to beat. It can't seem to deal with you at all if you have archers and it rarely uses it's cavalry.

Also, compared to Medieval or Shogun, the fights are over much more quickly. In Medieval, if two spear units met head on, they would just sort of push and grind against each other, neither inflicting many casualties at all. Only if one unit was flanked or saw other units nearby routing would things change. I can't explain, but it felt right. Now, in Rome: Total war, when two such units meet head on, the fights are over within seconds. It's like the units have no weight or cohesion to them and it feels wrong. I suspect they did this to appeal to the twich crowd by speeding up the battles but it was a big mistake in my opinion.

The game has a lot of potential, but needs some work to get there. Sadly, Creative Assembly isn't known for a lot of patching support. I think Shogun got 2 patches and an expansion and Medieval got one patch and an expansion.

Spitf_ACE
10-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Quote: "The v1.1 patch addresses many issues with multiplayer, "dealing with game stability, performance and some synch issues." The update is required to play online."

It seems to have brought up some graphical glitch on my campaign map though.