PDA

View Full Version : programming bands on x-45/52 rotary?

bubba3884
01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm trying to program mixture control on one of my rotaries - I have the bands equally divided into ten segments with each one mapped to a keyboard press to set mixture.
My problem is when I leave the rotary on the desired mixture % , the key is pressed repeatedlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Is there a way I can progam it press the key once, then release ?

bubba3884
01-21-2007, 04:25 PM
anyone ?

Rahband
01-21-2007, 05:04 PM
have you read this ?

sst manual (http://www.saitek.com/manuals/sst%20manual.htm)

bubba3884
01-21-2007, 05:41 PM
yes - I have read it. It says you have to leave blank bands in between your set bands. There must be another solution as this would make the programming function of the rotaries useless.

T_O_A_D
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I see no need actually to put your mixture on a rotary.

Trim yes, Prop pitch maybe, but mixture, its not used enough as far as I'm conserned to warrant a right to sit on a rotary.

Oh and no I don't know how to fix it, just spamming http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

NHawk52
01-21-2007, 08:26 PM
I had attempted the same "Button" config of the rotary dials, albeit not for mixture, but never got that type of setup to work properly. I found that the rotary dials assigned to "Axis" worked great for those things under the HOTAS section of Hardware Setup (i.e. prop pitch, trim, etc.) as it will graduate on its own as you progressively turn the dial.

Waldo.Pepper
01-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by bubba3884:
yes - I have read it. It says you have to leave blank bands in between your set bands. There must be another solution as this would make the programming function of the rotaries useless.

It does not say leave blank bands anywhere! (I defy you to post a link to where it says that!)

Bubba it really is in the SST manual! Nobody is fibbing to you mate!

I am sorry but you are going to have to read more carefully. Teach a man to fish and all that!

---

Here are the basics of what you are going to need to do.

First go into the game and assign keys to the mixture settings. (NOT the up down settings, but all the various ones ... like - Mixture zero mixture 10% all the way up to mixture full rich.)

Once you have done that open up the profiling software.

Right click on the rotary that you want to program. Choose bands.

Then break it into ten bands.

Then assign each band to one of the keys you have assigned in the controls section of the game.

How to do what I have described is well presented in the manual. Here is the direct link.

http://www.saitek.com/manuals/sst%20manual.htm#_Axis_Pr...(Rotaries,_thumb%20w (http://www.saitek.com/manuals/sst%20manual.htm#_Axis_Programming_(Rotaries,_thum b%20w)

In my opinion mixture control is so seldom used that it is a waste of your time to do this and consume a valuable rotary on such an airplane control.

You are better of using one of the coolie hat buttons for this ... press up would use the increase mixture control, and down would press the decrease mixture control.

In addition to not using a rotary this would also be easier to do. In game in the controls section you would only need to assign INCREASE and DECREASE keys, rather than all ten of the intermediate keys as well.

But like I have already mentioned mix, is not so needed that you will use it. Unless you want to kill your engine at a critical moment in error.

Good luck. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
01-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
I see no need actually to put your mixture on a rotary.

Trim yes, Prop pitch maybe, but mixture, its not used enough as far as I'm conserned to warrant a right to sit on a rotary.

Oh and no I don't know how to fix it, just spamming http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

I agree... leave the rotaries for things like pitch & trim.... leave things like mix to a button. Unless of course your primary AC has full mix capabilities... even then you might want to map the increase and decrease mix functions to a hat switch or something like it... but dont waste a rotary on that. You would be better off setting one to elevator trim and another to pitch or rudder trim.

NonWonderDog
01-21-2007, 10:14 PM
If you want to use bands, and they're a lot more useful for mapping field of view to the thumb slider, there's only one trick you need.

Instead of assigning "new key press," use "new macro" instead. That's it. When you move the slider or rotary past the band threshold, it will only send the key press once. You'll have to jiggle the rotary a bit when you start flying, but it otherwise works perfectly.

I have this setup for FOV, mapped to each key of the number row. It works very well. I have the same kind of setup in Falcon 4 in order to get the thumb slider to work as the dogfight override switch.

bubba3884
01-21-2007, 10:26 PM
You might wonder why we didn't just create one split so that the area was split in half and then just assign the keystrokes to the two areas? It's simply because you need a position where the axis is "at rest" and isn't issuing any keyboard commands you will notice that no commands are assigned to the middle position of the area in the above example. No matter which controller you have or which axis you are programming, you must always have a band over the middle of the axis movement with no command assigned to it.
[QUOTE]
this is directly from the SST manual

sounds alot like blank bands to me

it would also be useful to program single keystrokes if, for example, you want to use a toggle for landing gear.

thanks for the advice on macros - I'll give it a try.

Waldo.Pepper
01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Well throw me in prison with a tube of vaseline. I would say you are completely correct. That does indeed sound like they are recommending a blank setting. It would seem I am the one who needs to read the manual more carefully. Well spotted Bubba.

I am not sure that Macros are going to give you the "press and release" action that you seek. It may just repeat the macro as long as the rotary remains in place. I still think it is a waste of your time and you would be better off using a hat switch, as it goes back at rest to a neutral position.

LT.INSTG8R
01-22-2007, 02:56 AM
I remapped my Mouse Thumbstick to bands and use it for Prop Pitch,Prop Pitch Auto/Off, Superchargers, Mix, and Mirrors. Darn good use of it IMO as I never really found it all that useful as a mouse to navigate with(Of course I am using pinkie shift as well to get all these but sounds much easier than wasting a perfectly good trim knob)

Therion_Prime
01-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Like already mentioned, the trick is to make a new macro and not just a keypress. This way the keydown AND keyup events are being triggered. Then quantize the macro to 5ms.

Tully__
01-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Therion_Prime:
Like already mentioned, the trick is to make a new macro and not just a keypress. This way the keydown AND keyup events are being triggered. Then quantize the macro to 5ms.
Advanced command works better than macro, and if you want to adjust timings after recording the key strokes you must use advanced command.

Therion_Prime
01-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Therion_Prime:
Advanced command works better than macro, and if you want to adjust timings after recording the key strokes you must use advanced command. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quantize works also with macros.

triggerhappyfin
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Triggerhappyfin/Pulpittrim.jpg

This control pulpit has the inmates of a x-36 in it and I use one of the rotaries as mixture selector. Use the advanced command for assigning the keys on the bands. It then only send one keystroke and not repetitive keystrokes. No need of empty bands in between. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

NonWonderDog
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I actually just noticed this, but using macros actually sends the keypress when you move either into or out of the band. Moving from 60% to 70% will send 6 7 in rapid succession if you have the rotary mapped to the number keys, for instance. That would make mapping toggles to a rotary kind of hard, but it really doesn't affect much of anything. Kind of odd, though.

You don't have to set it to any amount of time, either; just keep it at the default 9instantaneous setting and it works fine.

The only advanced command I use is for the ejection key, which I have mapped to pinky + second trigger detent. I have it set up so I have to hold it for a second before it does anything. I'm not sure I actually need an advanced command to do this, though, since you can set the delay on key presses if you use the right-click menu instead of typing it directly into the box.