PDA

View Full Version : not sure what to buy....help

scuba440
01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
want to buy a combat flight sim - not sure wot to buy - have heard this flight sim (SL1)is fantastic but not heard of it that much. its the MS ones that always pop up.
is this flight sim as good as everyone says it is?
i am a big fan of MS flight sim so was gonna get MS combat flight sim but heard its not a patch on this game... true?
please someone help me make up my mind...

steve_v
01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
released over 3 years ago, the original demo is still available

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik/downloads/

tsisqua
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Do not pass go, do not collect $200 , , , ,

Go directly to the store and get FB Gold pack that contains The Aces expansion. Then get Pacific Fighters, and get all patched up so you can see the most amazing thing that has ever run on my home PC! I am not kidding you.

If you want a taste, then download the IL2 demo, and fly it a bit. It won't cost you anything.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifWelcome To The Madnesshttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Tsisqua

civildog
01-20-2005, 04:38 PM
But a word of caution:

The purchase of this game will lead to a never ending cycle of equipment upgrades as you are sucked more and more into it's depth. I practically needed therapy, but then I found my revenge: after handing the demo around to all my friends they are now in the same evil cycle of more, more, more!!!!!!! BWA-HA-HA!!!!

PS...I'll be getting my AMD64 and water-cooling next month, God help my squadmates!

scuba440
01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
my spec:
P4 2.8
DDR 512RAM
128 Nvidia G.Card
will it be powerful enough?

Hoenire
01-20-2005, 04:57 PM
It should be, but make sure you get the game running smooth. After a couple of months you'll want a super-fast pc, plus funky hotas system, TrackIR, pedals, a lumbar support and intravenous drip so you don't have to leave your pc.

Make sure you're patche dup fully, then play the offline campaigns for a bit. After that, if you want real immersion, go online using Hyperlobby (do a google to find it).

Online, you can start easy, medium or hard, depending on the server settings. Choose what you want, ignore the fact that you'll get shot down a lot and have fun.

scuba440
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
is it possible for me mate to conect via LAN and fly on same side against AI or other online users?
we do that on FS2002 but is getting boring now - wanna shoot people ha!
and what about aircraft and scenarios - is it just russia v germany. any expansions like pearl harbour / battle of britain etc...??
sorry to be a pain people - just wanna make sure i buy the right game (its this vs MS CFS) thanks for the replies so far - appreciated!

InyerEye
01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Whats this MS CFS you keep refering to? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

scuba440
01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
microsoft combat flight simulator 3

civildog
01-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Your rig ought to be ok, but I would recommend at least 640 Meg of RAM for online play (the more the better) and when it comes time to get a new video card be sure to give both the ATI and Nvidia cards a hard look.

There are different graphics levels now (introduced in Pacific Fighters) that only the new Nvidias will give you access to, however my "old" ATI 9800Pro still looks pretty darn good.

Raptor_20thFG
01-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Once I never played sim games till this one now oh god Im hooked my wife thinks Im crazy I think I am going to start a support group

Sniff:

Nah this is just too much Fun Seriously buy it you will love it

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Another thing. If you have a "significant other", you need to start distancing yourself now...to get her used to it. It would seem the only way to have a good realtionship AND fly this sim is if she flies too.

Having said that, I will say that my Wife has been extremely understanding and even got me much of my rig as gifts (CH HOTAS+pedals, 19" LCD and last but not least encouraged me to build an Akers-Barnes home cockpit that sits in our bedroom!

Lucky me
TB

Taylortony
01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scuba440:
is it possible for me mate to conect via LAN and fly on same side against AI or other online users?
we do that on FS2002 but is getting boring now - wanna shoot people ha!
and what about aircraft and scenarios - is it just russia v germany. any expansions like pearl harbour / battle of britain etc...??
sorry to be a pain people - just wanna make sure i buy the right game (its this vs MS CFS) thanks for the replies so far - appreciated! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can play on a Lan and in a coop fight against the AI, or indeed online against lots of people, there is a liberal spread of every countries aircraft in the game, The original game that can be picked up for a few dollars / Pounds these days on the bargain game shelves.
I would go for Forgotten Battles as a starter, because IL2 was not upgradeable the the other versions, but FB is..... you can buy the gold pack and that has Forgotten Battles (FB) and the AEP (Aces expansion Pack) cd in one box... I have seen that in the uk for about 20.00 after that the next add on is Pacific fighters and that introduces a lot of Japanese American and more British planes in it.......... that can run on its own but if you run it that way you will not get the European maps and the odd plane......... that has dropped in price now too.

Is it worth it?????????? yes.... is it better than CFS?????? yes.. without a doubt, both flyability and graphical wise..... disadvantages over CFS? well you can't add planes to it like Fsim or CFS as they are hard coded in the game and the sound isn't as good engine wise, but you can add paintschemes and even your face to the pilots...

Ok your specs

my spec:
P4 2.8
DDR 512RAM
128 Nvidia G.Card

Mine is similar accept it is a
2.0 gig P4
1024mb rambus
128 nvidia fx5900 xt card
and i can run full perfect settings bar the later water effects, but no one can really run on that without a serious frame hit...

before that i was running the same pc with a nvidia gforce 3 ti500 and that could manage perfect mode, but at a lowish frame rate, although excellent setting was fast enough to even host ok for 10 players.

There is a demo of the original with a couple of planes to try online if you want to give it a whirl...... but it is a big download and the game has gone from strenght to strength since then..

InyerEye
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Seriously,I used to play alot of sims,CFS,EAW,Janes etc...
After the first hour with IL-2,I was hooked.Not just because of the flying,but also mission building.You can do amazing detailed missions with this sim.
I never gave it much thought with other sims,but after IL-2,I bought a CH Hotas and Trackir.Plus PC upgrades to make it look better.
Go buy FB,Aces & Pacific Fighters.

Bearcat99
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scuba440:
want to buy a combat flight sim - not sure wot to buy - have heard this flight sim (SL1)is fantastic but not heard of it that much. its the MS ones that always pop up.
is this flight sim as good as everyone says it is?
i am a big fan of MS flight sim so was gonna get MS combat flight sim but heard its not a patch on this game... true?
please someone help me make up my mind... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome aboard scuba.... get the sim. You wont be sorry. You can DL the IL2 demo but I can gaurantee you that if you are into sims at all you will love this one. You can do online vs AI or humans or both.... offline. The planeset is awesome.. just about every WW2 fighter that will pop into your head and then some are in the sim either as flyable or AI..... The online community is off the hook. What is your video card? If I were you i would get another 512 of RAM... dont futz around .....catch a sale and go for the 1G sweet spot.

Compared to this sim CFS3 is a toy. The graphics are not as good.. the DMs and FMs arent as good either... and you have to add so much user made stuff just to make it tolerable. This sim..? Well...... first off I have to ask are you in the US? If you are then look at it as one big $70 5CD sim..... ($29.99 for the Forgotten Battles Aces expansion GOLD.. which is Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion Pack...http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/241057.jpg and another $39 for pacific Fighters.. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/244218.jpg .......) One you buy them both install then in the order of <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">F</span>orgotten <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">B</span>attles-<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">A</span>ces <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">E</span>xpansion <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">P</span>ack-<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">P</span>acific <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">F</span>ighters... then install Patch 3.03m and then 3.04m and you will be fully patched and ready to go to Hyperlobby.. which is where most of us fly.

Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig below to get to a link for Hyperlobby. It is free... it is a whole load of fun.... and this sim is hands down the best WW2 combat flight sim EVER CREATED TO DATE. Usually people who say otherwise and come here and leave do so because it is either too challenging for them, they have insufficient computing power and therefore the sim runs like a slide show, they lack anykind of patience and want the "quick instant action fix" without having to learn to virtually fly or.... for whatever toatlly unfathimablereson they just dont like the sim. If you are any kind of flight sim/warbird/WW2 history lover then you have indeed struck the motherload as far as a WW2 combat flight sim goes. For commercial stuff? From what I hear FS2004 ranges from decent to great... but for the knuckle tightening, heart thumping, hair raising action of "as real as it gets" virtual WW2 air action.... this is the place to be.

again........Welcome aboard...........

Skycat_2
01-22-2005, 01:48 PM
my spec:
P4 2.8
DDR 512RAM
128 Nvidia G.Card
will it be powerful enough? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a P4 1.7GHz / 1024Mb RAM / GeForce 4 Ti4600. I imagine our systems are roughly equivalent, although I envy your processor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyway, I can run the game pretty well except if the full number of planes possible are in the air and/or there are lots of ground objects and vehicles. Adding 512Mb RAM helped me considerably, especially for the larger maps. Online, I had no problems in dogfight rooms using UbiSoft's server. Anyway, I can use "perfect" graphic settings but for decent gameplay (not a slideshow) I usually turn down the options to slightly lower graphics settings to get better frame rates.

Forgotten Battles/ Pacific Fighters is a great series and very enjoyable. Coming to this forum, though, expect to get a hard sell to get the full series all at once. My advice is evaluate your interest level and your intention: If you want to fly online, getting the full series at once will give you the greatest compatibility to the community. If you're an offliner simply looking for a good game, go where your heart is.

My advice, personally, is to look for the IL-2 Gold Pack that contains both Forgotten Battles and its expansion pack Ace Expansion Pack. For a relatively cheap price (especially in the air sim hobby) you'll get an incredibly large catalogue of flyable planes, maps, objects, campaigns, and language packs. The one drawback is that if you are primarily interested in flying for the USAAF or Royal Air Force, there aren't any campaigns included for them in the FB/AEP combo. Yes, you'll have the Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Hurricanes, Spitfires, etc. available to fly and maps like Normandy, Ardennes, Berlin and Hungary ... but you'll have to either download or purchase missions and campaigns in order to use them.

Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 is roughly the same price as Gold Pack and has some notable features in its own right, especially a continuous map of Western Europe including the British Isles. The campaign system is dynamic but more strategy-based than FB/AEP's, so it really is more 'game like.' On the upside, CFS-3 comes with many flyable aircraft (although not nearly as many as FB+AEP) representing the USAAF, the RAF and the Luftwaffe, and many more can be added easily from free or paid downloads. On the downside, online play is non-standardized, the stock flight models are comparitively poor, and 'add-on' planes are of varying quality. I have CFS-3 and enjoy it almost as much as I do FB/AEP, but for diffent reasons than FB/AEP.

Pacific Fighters is a remarkable reinterpretation of the original IL-2 code, but to honest I'd recommend it as a secondary purchase to augment FB/AEP (aka Gold Pack) unless you are primarily interested in the Pacific.

Skycat_2
01-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Here are some reviews from SimHQ that may help:
IL-2: Forgotten Battles review (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_071a.html) by Vince "Beer Camel" Putze.
Pacific Fighters review (http://www.simhq.com/_air3/air_109a.html) by Tom "WKLNK" Cofield.
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 review (http://mach1.simhq.com/_air/air_058a.html) by Vince "Beer Camel" Putze.
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/reviews/cfs2/index-pf.html) by Tom "WKLNK" Cofield. (Link is given for balance. Sim is from 2000.)

An additional Combat Flight Simulator 3 review (http://www.frugalsworld.com/reviews/cfs3-rev1.shtml) by Len "Viking1" Hjalmarson, posted at Frugal's World of Simulations.

rijnton1944
01-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Until 2 or 3 months ago I didn't play games at all, until I bought IL-2 Sturmuvik to give it a try, because it was very cheap, about " 5,-. Then I got hooked, bought AEP and PF, upgraded my graphic card after that, didn't find that enough and upgraded my mobo and cpu too. And last week I couldn't withstand buying the TrackIR3 too. Just too give you an idea how addicting this game is....
And this forum is great! As a complete noob I get all the help I need.

GT182
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Raptor_20thFG, the only support group you need is the ones you fly with. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Most women, but not all, just don't appreciate our "toys". Maybe you should send the wife out for some flightsim training and get her hooked too. But be prepared to share the computer or get another just for her. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Zeus-cat
01-23-2005, 08:15 AM
I've been playing/flying the IL-2 series for several years. Someone at worked told me he flew the MS CFS. I gave him my original IL-2 disk and he gave me his CFS3 disk. The next day he came in and said "WOW, that game is awesome!!!". I said yup, here's your CFS3 disk back. Excuse me, I gotta go buy a new keyboard. I loaded your game and flew a mission with it. I puked all over my keyboard looking at that piece of **** game."

OK, I made that list bit up. But the guy at work switched to IL-2 and isn't going back.

Zeus-cat

willyvic
01-23-2005, 08:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skycat_2:
...Forgotten Battles/ Pacific Fighters is a great series and very enjoyable...My advice, personally, is to look for the _IL-2 Gold Pack_ that contains both Forgotten Battles and its expansion pack Ace Expansion Pack...Yes, you'll have the Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Hurricanes, Spitfires, etc. available to fly and maps like Normandy, Ardennes, Berlin and Hungary ... but you'll have to either download or purchase missions and campaigns in order to use them...Microsoft's _Combat Flight Simulator 3_ is roughly the same price as _Gold Pack_ and has some notable features in its own right...I have CFS-3 and enjoy it almost as much as I do FB/AEP, but for diffent reasons than FB/AEP...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outstanding reply Skycat. No us versus them, no one-sided biased comments. Just an honest personal interpretation. Well done.

WV

InyerEye
01-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Not "us vs them".I bought CFS 1,2 and 3.
Compared to IL-2,they get zero time in my disc drive.
If CFS comes out with a better sim than IL-2,then I'll buy it.I just fly what I enjoy.
<S>

Herk---xxIxx---
01-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Scuba440
Mood of the topic. posted Thu January 20 2005 15:52
my spec:
P4 2.8
DDR 512RAM
128 Nvidia G.Card

I have a PIII 1.0
DDR 512 Ram
64 nVidia 440
and though slow and not as beautiful as some..mine plays very well, You should have no problem at all with the 128 card.