PDA

View Full Version : Very confused!

ktickner6767
02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been away for about a year and I come back and now I can't play online. As I read through the forums, I read something about paid and non-paid updates. What is going on?

When I go to the Ubi Soft web site to look for the updates it says I am up to date with 4.04M. But, I'm seeing updates all the way to 4.08 on the forums. What the hell do I need in order to play online again? where is 4.05, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.08 on Ubi Soft's update page???

XyZspineZyX
02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Check the dates on the Ubi update page

the current version is 4.08

since you have been away, there has been:

Pe-2 Peshka, which makes 4.05
Sturmoviks over Manchuria, which makes 4.06
Il2:1946 which makes 4.07
and now the latest patch, which makes 4.08

I won't confuse you by explaining the release dates of all that, it was a bit screwy

The il2:1946 DVD package is a complete package that contains everything plus pacthes and unpaid add-ons to bring the sim to 4.07. It installs in a new folder, it doesn't over-write your copy of FB

The new 4.08 patch is not listed by Ubi; I mentioned to them how poorly they maintain their website a few days ago and I was told that everything was up to date http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Silly me

-HH-Quazi
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ktickner6767:
I've been away for about a year and I come back and now I can't play online. As I read through the forums, I read something about paid and non-paid updates. What is going on?

When I go to the Ubi Soft web site to look for the updates it says I am up to date with 4.04M. But, I'm seeing updates all the way to 4.08 on the forums. What the hell do I need in order to play online again? where is 4.05, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.08 on Ubi Soft's update page??? 4.05m, 4.06m, & 4.07m are all paid addons. Ubi is offering these for $33 USD. They use Boonty Box in an effort to thwart piracy. But it is easily gotten rid of if you want to. Some here run it anyway. It seems to be no big deal. No different than Steam I think. But some, including muself, just aren't interested in another service running.

I bought the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 DVD. And I also purchased the downloads mainly because I wanted to put the game in it's entirety on my sons computer and wanted to be right with Oleg & Ubi. I can tell you the downloads 4.05m thru 4.07m installs over FB\AEP\PF 4.04m and flys just as well as the DVD install. Another reason I wanted the downloads is to have a backup install in case my DVD ever bites the dust. I took the PF Mega patch that patches from the boxed version of PF all the way thru to 4.04m, added the downloads 4.05m thru 4.07m and then the 4.08m patch, and created an exe out of them. So if I ever have to install with all the disks like we had to before the DVD was released, after installing\merging the PF disk into FB\AEP, all I have to do is run the exe I created and be done with the install. Pretty neat if I say so myself.