PDA

View Full Version : About Betty bombload

KraljMatjaz
06-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Hello

Well, betty was regarded as heavy bomber (it was quite bigger than B25 or B26, she was just a bit smaller than liberator, and had 2x1800hp engines. Anyway, do we have realistic bombloads for this plane? Hey, I mean, 1x800kg bomb? Or 1x500 + 2x250? Even Stuka can carry almost two times more... Plus G4M was probably quite light for the lack of armour, so even more space for bombs...

What am I missing here?

Any comments?

Tooz_69GIAP
06-15-2005, 02:52 AM
What you are missing is that the Betty is a long range bomber.

What this means is that although it's loadout is not great, it can carry that load for a very very long way.

It's all down to fuel consumption, and power required to lift a certain load over a certain distance.

The Stuka can carry more than the Betty, but I gaurantee, it is in no way capable of the range that the Betty is capable of.

Kernow
06-15-2005, 02:57 AM
800 kg was the max bomb load. And in the real world other things matter too - like range. Stuka's max range was 490 miles, B-25 could make 2500 and the Betty 3750 miles. The Betty also climbs very well even with its max load.

Hendley
06-15-2005, 03:46 AM
What's the loadout for the B-25 (away from home PC at moment)? I think the Betty compares favorably.

Also have to remember that "medium" and "heavy" bombers were relative terms, depending on time and place. The Betty was heavy for the IJN but not for the Allies. I think the US and the Brits were the only ones who had real heavies in any significant number...and even the Lancs and Liberators suddenly started looking medium when the B-29 came along http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Stuka could carry almost as much as the B-17... Albeit rather slowly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG53Frankyboy
06-15-2005, 04:32 AM
just to give an example:
if the Ju88A1 wanted carry its max bombload of 2400kg its range was 1280km

if it wanted to reach its max range of 3680km , it was able to carry only 500kg of bombs

in "Fire in the Sky" you can read that G4M, that attacked Guadalcanal from Rabaul, usually carried only one 250kg and two 60kg bombs !

ElAurens
06-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Exactly, the trade off for range and speed (for it's day).

I love taking the Betty up over Singapore, bomb the city and run away form the Hurri MkI s and Buffalos... they never catch me.

Lightning72
06-15-2005, 06:16 AM
The Betty's bombload might seem small, but keep in mind that the Japanese usually flew with their full bombload or with a torpedo. Many US planes (especially the B-17) flew most of their missions with about a half load. Because they flew primarily as daylight bombers, the remaining load capacity on B-17s was given over to defensive guns.

Tater-SW-
06-15-2005, 07:57 AM
"Heavy" for the japanese and "heavy" for us was relative.

tater