PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Ubisoft account with AC2 on it

Skwarekk
03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Some <span class="ev_code_RED">EDIT</span> stole my ubisoft account today. It was made yesterday when I bought AC2 for PC. In the morning everything was ok, right now I cant login. When trying to change the password I recieve info, that no account is attached to that email... guess the thief changed the email. Dunno how and who, it never happened to me before, Im not a moron and I know how o be safe in the internet... I already send a messaege to the support, but have to wait till monday for answer. Do you have any ideas how to solve this? Will I get my account back? I have the manual with instalation key on it so it shouldnt be a problem I think...

kleaneasy
03-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm afraid all you can do is wait on support, although I dont know why that would be monday as they work 7 days a week. You should hear from them soon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Skwarekk
03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ms-kleaneasy:
I'm afraid all you can do is wait on support, although I dont know why that would be monday as they work 7 days a week. You should hear from them soon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

thanks for the good words, hope it will be a happy end.

Forgot to add, the stolen account name is skwarek-pl...so if you will meet him you will know that it's the thief...

NightmareGK13
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
this was one of my major concerns regarding DRM
now it has been confirmed

another reason why the drm shouldnt even come to cross their minds
since when does a singleplayer game needs to have an internet connection to play
this is an adventure game or a mmo?

anyways good luck dude
hopefully you'll get everything sorted out
if it will happen to me and i dont ill download one of them cracks so i dont lose my save files

Skwarekk
03-07-2010, 08:53 AM
I dont really mind the DRM. Assassin's Creed 2 was made out of a hard work of a lot of people and its understandable, that they want to secure it. If it hits illegal users- go ahead and add it to every ubisoft game.

It shouldnt happen, and I bet there wont be many ubisoft accounts stolen. Its an incident, happened to me for the first time, always been pretty careful when using internet... guess someone was planing it... anyways, still waiting for the answer from support team, I think they dont work on weekends, hopefuly I'll get an answer tomorrow. I added also the photo of instalation key and proof of purchase to the support question so it shouldnt be a problem to get my account back from the ******* thief http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the only sideffect of this situation is that I cant play... but Im aint no kid, I can wait.

darnokz
03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by NightmareGK13:

since when does a singleplayer game needs to have an internet connection to play

anyways good luck dude
hopefully you'll get everything sorted out
if it will happen to me and i dont ill download one of them cracks so i dont lose my save files

There is no crack xd

NightmareGK13
03-07-2010, 09:12 AM
yet...

my order at play.com for the black edition is being packed and i cant wait

but im seriously hoping i wont get issues with the DRM
i agree with Skwarekk, i understand ubisoft for trying to protect a game that took the hard work of loads of people involved, but sometimes its just play overreacting, they should reward the average consumer instead they punish, i dont see anything new so far on the pc version besided the drm and we've waited for 5months or so

if it wasn't for the special editions i'd seriusly think twice befre buying it

caswallawn_2k7
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM

have you never hear of accounts on steam being stolen? this generally happens when people try to evade security (the cracks even tho they don't work require you to use a valid Ubi account, it would be easy for them to redirect this)

so my advice would be any1 who has legally bought this game do not try to crack it to remove the DRM as chances are it will steal your account details.

this isn't the only way account details can be stolen but it is probably a popular target with this since stupid people are willing to use files created by some random person to avoid the net connection.

Skwarekk
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I hope you are not trying to point at me... cause this is not the way I lost my account. As I said before, the DRM doesnt bother me at all, I was able to play the game till saturday morning without any problems, someone just was waiting and planning this attack on my account.

I for instance never use 3rd party files or any other stuff that doesnt come from reliable sources.

caswallawn_2k7
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
it wasn't aimed at you, it was just an observation of what will probably end up happening.

but to be honest you could pick up a key logger from just about anywhere that could cause this type of thing.

I would advise a full virus scan of your PC before you get your account back tho.

NightmareGK13
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">this was one of my major concerns regarding DRM

have you never hear of accounts on steam being stolen? this generally happens when people try to evade security (the cracks even tho they don't work require you to use a valid Ubi account, it would be easy for them to redirect this)

so my advice would be any1 who has legally bought this game do not try to crack it to remove the DRM as chances are it will steal your account details.

this isn't the only way account details can be stolen but it is probably a popular target with this since stupid people are willing to use files created by some random person to avoid the net connection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't say that i have because i dont use steam
but it has happened to me before when i played GTA IV
someone had stolen my rockstargames account
i never got it back tho but luckily i didn't have much there

ah ok i understand now
yeah most likely i wont crack it but i really want to play it and so do other thousands of people. Seriously hope that the servers wont go down and they will release a no internet connection patch

Skwarekk
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
it wasn't aimed at you, it was just an observation of what will probably end up happening.

but to be honest you could pick up a key logger from just about anywhere that could cause this type of thing.

I would advise a full virus scan of your PC before you get your account back tho.

Nah, it wasnt a key logger. I did a system reinstall last Wednesday. Im scaning my system from time to time with an online skaner and got the Norton Internet Security running.

The problem is, that the thief has logged also on my mail box, where he changed the password to my ubi account. I have no idea how, since I never even use the "remeber my password" option anywhere and I didnt have the keylogger, tho it seemed like a coordinated attack and he took only my ubi account. I read that the domain in which I had a mailbox was known for having some security issues, maybe that was the problem. I managed to get my mail account back, but the thief deleted messages about password and mail change. I contacted the admins of the mailbox too and when only I'll get the necessary info I'll go to police with it, wont let that scumbag run away with what he has done.

NightmareGK13
03-07-2010, 04:59 PM
thats the spirit mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
keep us updated eh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sypron
03-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by NightmareGK13:
i agree with Skwarekk, i understand ubisoft for trying to protect a game that took the hard work of loads of people involved, but sometimes its just play overreacting, they should reward the average consumer instead they punish, i dont see anything new so far on the pc version besided the drm and we've waited for 5months or so

Well they have included both DLC packs with the release of the PC version, something that console users had to pay extra for.

caswallawn_2k7
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I contacted the admins of the mailbox too and when only I'll get the necessary info I'll go to police with it, wont let that scumbag run away with what he has done.
you cant prosecute because of numbers on the internet, the police wont touch a case on the internet unless they have witnessed it happening.

IP addresses can easily be changed and masked so going after some1 based purely on a IP address wouldn't work as the only way to be certain of the identity of it would be for the police to trace it while the attack was happening.

cyber crime and identity theft are two of the hardest things to prove and that is why the police will do next to nothing to resolve these problems, as there is pretty much nothing they can do unless the person doing it walks up to them and admits it.

Skwarekk
03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Well... it's almost midnight here in Poland and I still didn't get any answer from support... not sure if the suuport is in the UK or US, but if it's US then I can understand (different timezones).

I read lots of stuff about stolen mail accounts on wp.pl, from what I know police should start the inestigation without any problems. I also recieved reply from the admins of wp.pl, they need a leter from police about the investigation and then they will forward any info about the thief. I surely will do anything I can to get that bastard.

fl4nger23
03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
another bright example why this DRM should be removed, it creates a gaping hole in security and integrity of rights for a customer. I hope the authentication process itself is at least encrypted...

caswallawn_2k7
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
I hope the authentication process itself is at least encrypted...
it will be, but there are many many ways to get account details, worms, trojans, straight up hacking and a few others. the sad thing is worms and trojans can easily get onto a PC just by visiting a compromised website (or a site using certain ad providers)

quite a lot of the time account theft is down to something the user has done without knowing, so most accounts should be fine, but unfortunately no matter how much security you put on a service it can still be broken, for a example see the new trojan that can give access to a WoW account even if it is using a authenticator device (number generator used on top of standard user name and password)

so security and encryption can only protect you so much.

out-side
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Get rid of Norton and get yourself some decent internet security, also don't use those online scanners as a lot of them are actually scams and are more likely to drop something onto your computer than remove or find anything.

Skwarekk
03-09-2010, 04:31 AM
I read some reviews about Norton internet security 2010 and the major problem with it was slowing down pcs. I didnt notice anything like that, its running as smooth as it was, Norton is not taking much of pc's resources and from what I read its pretty good at securing PC. I dont mind paying for a antivirus/firewall program if it's good (Im using 30 day trial right now). But Im open for suggestions if you can recommend a good program.

The online scanner Im using is polish www.mks.com.pl (http://www.mks.com.pl) - it shouldnt contain any tricky stuff, its from mks_vir so it can be trusted.

So, it's 4th day since my account has been stolen, no response from Ubi support so far and the thief can most likely play without any problems on my account, that I paid for http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Im just siting at work in front of my pc and checking my mail every couple of minutes in hope that someone from Ubi will reply.

Xanatos2007
03-09-2010, 04:48 AM
I used a free program called Malwarebytes to get rid of a rather annoying virus I got last week which Norton failed to remove. You can download it for free here. (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html)

SpoT_UK
03-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Skwarekk:

Microsoft now have a free anti virus and anti spywear for XP, Vista and Win7, Its not bloated and doesn’t use many resources and its been getting good feed back from users.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Skwarekk
03-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys, I already installed the Security Essentials, will check the Malwarebytes later today.

Ubisoft support (both PL and EU (or US not sure where they have their office)) still stays silent, I even contacted them on Twitter... just feels pointless, the time is of the essence in this matter, thief can even try to sell my account, yet, Im alone with my problem...

caswallawn_2k7
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
the MS one is one of the worst virus scans out there (misses a lot of things)

the main one I use is ESET Smart Security (http://www.eset.com/) it is a paid virus scan but it can scan the computer constantly (without it even being noticeable it's doing it) and it can easily find viruses (new or old) it is a good virus scan, it's really heavily optimised compared to the others I have used and gives no where near the number of false positives programs such as norton and mcafee do (had both actually remove files from installs direct from a legal disc)

as far as security goes some of the free ones can do a decent job, but normally they do fall short on constant protection and updates.

Skwarekk
03-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Editing: I just regained control on my skwarek-pl account... at last.

Skwarek-pl
03-10-2010, 06:01 AM
As a confirmation, posting also on my skwarek-pl account, thanks Ubi.