PDA

View Full Version : WWII in HD: The Air War tonight @ 2100

Bearcat99
11-10-2010, 05:44 PM
A reminder..

It is an interesting series just from a sheer seeing it as it happened standpoint.. but there are some segments that leave a bit to be desired.. Like the one on Bert Stiles.. who was killed in the war in 44. He was the author of "Serenade to the Big Bird (http://www.acmedepot.com/stiles/serenade.html)" He was a bomber pilot who transitioned to Mustangs and there was segment on his first kill.. they are supposedly showing a simulation of the action using actual footage.. but in many cases the plane they were using was clearly not a Mustang.. most likely a P-47 but still it is good to see the footage.

Boosher
11-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Thx for the heads up Bearcat! This series is great for the footage alone and the interviews with the veterans. The recorded voice-overs are pathetic, IMO, way too cheesy. I'd never say the war is over-dramatized, but their acting, inflection, and lines are very cliche and over-the-top. It's all too typical of the History Channel these days.

There used to be a show early on Sunday mornings that I loved. It was nothing but combat footage and 45 minutes straight of recorded interviews with veterans. No historicizing, no editorializing, just one veteran's experiences as told by him set to footage from that time and place where he served, whether it was WW2, Korea, Vietnam, or any other conflict. It's killing me that I can't remember the name of the show. Most likely it'll come to me when I've got no access to a computer.

TS_Sancho
11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
On the plus side the footage is fantastic, the editing great, the veteran remembrances somber, poignant and moving.

The negatives were the content of the narration is terrible, the title is misleading, pseudo history of the 8th A.F. would have been more appropriate. Lastly whomever wrote the script didn't study the same air war I did, some of the conclusions presented were pretty far out there.

Thats my two cents...

BuzzU
11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Bear.

Long time no see.