PDA

View Full Version : Tempest ???



AFJ_Locust
02-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Does anyone have historical information about this ac?

Was it a good Dogfighter ?

tnb ? bnz ? energy ?

Seems like a overreving overheating pile of junk
compared to other new/older ac ?

Is it just me ?

spare me the stop whineing posts if you dont know anything about the ac just dont bother.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-10-2006, 06:48 AM
A powerhouse dogfighter, with it's main opponent being the 190D I think. Definately an energy fighter: it's fast, it's heavy and rock solid, it packs a punch with those 4x20mm, dives very well, zooms very well, seems to retain energy, and when you hit the boost that engine screams!!

Just don't turn fight in it!

Go and get "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann if you want to know about the Tempest.

AFJ_Locust
02-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Thx

uberchuckie
02-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
A powerhouse dogfighter, with it's main opponent being the 190D I think. Definately an energy fighter: it's fast, it's heavy and rock solid, it packs a punch with those 4x20mm, dives very well, zooms very well, seems to retain energy, and when you hit the boost that engine screams!!

Just don't turn fight in it!

Go and get "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann if you want to know about the Tempest.

I bought this book
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/osp_img/titlecovers/P7791AS.JPG

and it seems the guys in real life turned all the time with their Typhoons and Tempests.

They even turned with 109s. Now I guess in real life you wouldn't be yanking your stick back all the time...

FluffyDucks
02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Dont mock the afflicted Kuna http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Its funny when someone confirms their complete ignorance(despite their claims to the contrary), of the history of WWII aircraft by posting such threads http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

JG53Frankyboy
02-10-2006, 08:56 AM
perhaps you will enjoy this URL

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

GoToAway
02-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:
Is it just me ? Yes.

johann63
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
dont forget that it just looks cool too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif


Never forget but when I was a lad, my brother built a large model of this baby. The image of that plane has stuck with me all these year becuase of that model.

Freelancer-1
02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by johann63:
dont forget that it just looks cool too.


LOL, I was just thinking that once you learn not to mind being seen in such a butt-ugly plane, it's a lot of fun to fly.

Ah well, to each his own, I guess.

Cheers,

3.JG51_BigBear
02-10-2006, 10:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the model in game is the one used around D-Day mostly for V-1 interception. The ones that went tear assing all over Northern Europe was even more powerful than the beast we already have.

WOLFMondo
02-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:
Does anyone have historical information about this ac?

Was it a good Dogfighter ?

tnb ? bnz ? energy ?

Seems like a overreving overheating pile of junk
compared to other new/older ac ?

Is it just me ?

spare me the stop whineing posts if you dont know anything about the ac just dont bother.

Junk? 8:1 kill ratio is junk? :P

The Sabre revs very high, the IIA at 9lbs I think hits around 3700 rpm at emergency power, the IIB/11lbs hit 3850rpm!

Its a BnZ and energy fighter, not a dog fighter by any means. The most power you get from it is 6000ft and 17-18,000ft, remember to switch the supercharger over at 13k.

It did overheat badly IRL but does take a long time for that overheating to blow the engine.

Read Pierre Clostermans big show for a introduction to what the Tempest did in 1945 with the 2nd TAF.


Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
If I'm not mistaken, the model in game is the one used around D-Day mostly for V-1 interception. The ones that went tear assing all over Northern Europe was even more powerful than the beast we already have.

It seems like one of the couple of Tempest V's made to series II spec made in the first batch. The V1 interceptors were mainly series I's but even they used 11lbs boost with there IIA's.

briyeo
02-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johann63:
dont forget that it just looks cool too.


LOL, I was just thinking that once you learn not to mind being seen in such a butt-ugly plane, it's a lot of fun to fly.

Ah well, to each his own, I guess.

Cheers, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks cooler the more you know about its performance and history http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
02-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:
Does anyone have historical information about this ac?

Was it a good Dogfighter ?

tnb ? bnz ? energy ?

Seems like a overreving overheating pile of junk
compared to other new/older ac ?

Is it just me ?

spare me the stop whineing posts if you dont know anything about the ac just dont bother.
You haven't been listening to me all these years?

The Tempest...or rather the Typhoon was the RAF's answer to the FW190A. Infact the first Typhoon squadron and the first FW190A squadron were forming up during the same weeks of 1941 across the channel from each other. The Typhoon was designed as a heavy interceptor meant to bring down bombers or fight enemy fighters with speed and power. For these reasons the Typhoon was given the massive 2000hp, 24 cylinder, Sabre II engine.

BUT...with the Typhoon, some design flaws limited the aircrafts performance above 20,000 feet making it a poor substitute to the Spitfire. The Typhoon found its roll chasing FW190 channel raids which it did quite well at. Later it was adopted as a fighter-bomber and was the Allies best anti-tank weapon...often called for by the advancing American armies in Normandy.

The Tempest took the Typhoons design and engine and did some radical transformation on it. The Tempest is essentially a Typhoon with all of the bugs worked out. What the Tempest is good at is high speed hit and run passes with its excellent streamlining and heavy firepower. In many ways the Tempest is much like a Mustang with its laminar flow wings and control surfaces optimized for high speed manuevering.

It is not a Spitfire. It should not be flown like one. It should be flown like a Mustang, a Corsair, or a FW190. The Tempest V's closest adversary is the FW190D-9.

At present we have a middle of 1944 model Tempest with a +9lb of boost and a Sabre IIA engine. If we can manage it...we'll try and get Oleg to add us a Sabre IIB equipped version with +11lbs of boost therefore enhancing its low altitude speed performance to that equal or greater to the FW190D-9 MW50 and La-7 and just a hair under the Mustang Mark III.

Its beautifully represented in the game in all of its attributes. Fly it right and its deadly...fly it wrong and its dangerous only to its pilot. Its not for the Turn and Burn crowd...never will be.

skabbe
02-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johann63:
dont forget that it just looks cool too.


LOL, I was just thinking that once you learn not to mind being seen in such a butt-ugly plane, it's a lot of fun to fly.

Ah well, to each his own, I guess.

Cheers, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fock off!

elphifou
02-11-2006, 08:18 AM
AFJ, no offense meant, but combat flight is (to me) 90% about knowing how to fly a war plane properly. Maybe you should get used to the Tempest a little bit more...

Chuck_Older
02-11-2006, 08:34 AM
My favorite plane in AoE. Pretty fun right now, all I've done is hot rod over NW Europe and shoot down a Pfeil

Grey_Mouser67
02-11-2006, 09:09 AM
So far, I have shot down two G-14's, 1 A-9 and 1 D9 in it...however, I was out dived by that G14 and thought we were equal in energy....

I am not going to assume at this point either there was or wasn't an energy issue, but rather watch in the future...the Tempest should be a great diver...right up there, if not better than the Mustang....but it is fast, it turns pretty good, but not great...awesome firepower. I find that as I get to turning, I have to trim and manage my aircraft alot...a good thing imho but it is not effortless.

The only downside, as was pointed out, it overheats very, very quickly so you better go into the fight with a cool engine and only use boost where you need it. I will be conducting some testing to see how long the engine will run in overheat before damage...that is going to be a critical thing to know.

What was very plainly obvious to me was how light the controls were at high speed. At one point I had a G14 on my six and we were fighting downwards at over 650km/hr...I could flick my plane one way and slide over...he would slowly lag behind...then flick it over the other way...repeated this several times till I took him into an awaiting wingman. He had no chance at high speed. I couldn't have done that against a dora, but the 109 just wont manuever at those speeds!

LW_lcarp
02-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Didnt it compare with the p-47 in flight as being overweight and good for ground attack or did i read the wrong book on this

P249
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Best book to read about the Temp is "Tempest Summer" by Roland Beaumont. Simply the best pilot to speak about the big Hawker fighter. One of the Tempests main advantages was its ability to CRUISE at such a high speed. While its top speed of 435mph approx wasn't as high as say the Spit XIV, while cruising it was almost at the combat speed of all the other fighters thanks to its 24 cylinder H section Sabre. It therefore didn't have to do much accelerating to reach its combat speed. It practically roamed over Northern Europe almost at will. My old man flew the Mk II (Centaurus) and Mk VI (Sabre). Loved them both but thought the Centaurus version was the smoother nicer aircraft to fly. He said the torque on take off was awesome which might explain why he nearly took the hanger roof off on his first solo!
Interesting footnote about its dogfighting ability was when the IAF took on some Temps with their Spit IX's. Experienced RAF pilots state that it was a bit of a **** up as to the actual circumstances of the ensuing combats but it was obvious that trying to dogfight the Temp VI's with more nimble Spits was one of the reasons why the Temps got hacked down, on two occasions! Notwithstanding the fact that the IAF Spit boys were more experienced and some of the Temps were being flown unarmed (unbeknown to their pilots!!)
You can get some interesting reading about this on these combats on the web.

Regards,
Tempest nut!!

AFJ_Locust
02-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by FluffyDucks:
Dont mock the afflicted Kuna http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Its funny when someone confirms their complete ignorance(despite their claims to the contrary), of the history of WWII aircraft by posting such threads http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Its funny ******* when someone admits they dont know anything about a particular ac that you jump on there back.

I never claimed to be a F>>> Historian MF !!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

AFJ_Locust
02-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

If we can manage it...we'll try and get Oleg to add us a Sabre IIB equipped version with +11lbs of boost therefore enhancing its low altitude speed performance to that equal or greater to the FW190D-9 MW50 and La-7 and just a hair under the Mustang Mark III.

Its beautifully represented in the game in all of its attributes. Fly it right and its deadly...fly it wrong and its dangerous only to its pilot. Its not for the Turn and Burn crowd...never will be.

Thanks IceFire That sounds great haveing a ac as fast as a mustangIII with 4 hispano in the wings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the history leason I will fly it like a Dora

AFJ_Locust
02-12-2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by elphifou:
AFJ, no offense meant, but combat flight is (to me) 90% about knowing how to fly a war plane properly. Maybe you should get used to the Tempest a little bit more...

Thats why I made this post M8

To try & get some feedback, I found out what I needed to know THX

major_setback
02-12-2006, 03:32 AM
From 'Aircraft of World War II'

"Tempests destroyed 240 Luftwaffe planes, including 80 Bf109s and 115 Fw190s...Top scoring Tempest pilot was D.C. Fairbanks, an American in the RAF, credited with 11 air-to-air victories...One Tempest pilot is credited with shooting down over 60 V1 buzz-bombs"

More on V1s:

" Tempests were credited with shooting down 638 of the RAF's 1771 (ed. 1847 by some accounts)destroyed"

From 'The Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft':

"...N* 3 squadron was the top scoring unit with 258 V1s destroted, while N* 484 claimed 223....eleven squadrons were eventually armed with the Tempest mkV....total tempest mkV production was 805 aircraft."


From 'British Warplanes of WWII':

"RAF service commenced in April 1944, when 50 Tempest mkVs were delivered to Newchurch, Kent, where the first Tempest wing was formed within N* 85 group....The wing was active during the build-up to the Normandy invasion, but on 13 June the first V1 flying bomb fell at Swanscombe in Kent, and Tempests were among aircraft tasked to combat the menace."

"...they engaged in combat the Luftwaffe Me262 jet fighters, 20 of which were destroyed before VE day."

From 'Warplanes and Fighters of World WarII':
The Tempest mkV series 2 had slightly more power, spring-tab ailerons for faster rate of roll and short barelled mkV cannon wholly burried in the wing."

Nubarus
02-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
Didnt it compare with the p-47 in flight as being overweight and good for ground attack or did i read the wrong book on this

You read the wrong book.

Jambock_sydy
02-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi guys,

Besides the Pierre Clostermann 2004 new edition of "THe Great Circus" and the Osprey book, I found in England the book "Tempest Pilot", SC C.J.Sheddean, that accounts how they flew the Tempest.

Excelent book if you interested in the aircraft.

Btw, the "Great Circus" new edition is amazing and has some more information how the felt about it. It was a tuff task to fly it. I remember Clostermann running after 190s and a Do335, never catching it. He was shot down by a Dora also. It was catchy on take-off and emergency landings.

All the best,
Hope it helps.

P249
02-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Sorry, the book I mentioned in my earlier reply by Roland Beaumont should have read "Tempest over Europe" and not "Tempest Summer", although this is also a great read!

"Reaching Newchurch airfield at 480 mph I held "RB" down to 20 ft from the runway and then pulled her up to a 60 ? climb holding it as the speed dropped slowly off and the altimeter needle spun round the dial as if it were mad. At 7000 ft the speed was dropping below 180 mph and I rolled the Tempest lazily inverted, then allowed the nose to drop until the horizon, at first above my head, disappeared below (or rather above) the now inverted nose, the fields and woods steadied into the centre of the windscreen and then whirled around as I put the stick hard over and rolled around the vertical dive. Steadying again I pulled out over the tree tops at 500 mph, throttled back and pulled hard over towards the airfield in an over-the-vertical climbing turn, lowering the wheels and flaps in a roll as the speed dropped. What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
("My part of the sky", Roland Beamont)
"The Messerschmitt Me 262's most dangerous opponent was the British Hawker Tempest - extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed."
(Hubert Lange, Me262 pilot)

VW-IceFire
02-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
Didnt it compare with the p-47 in flight as being overweight and good for ground attack or did i read the wrong book on this
Tempest V max weight: 13,558lbs
P-47 max weight: 19,426lbs (this is an earlier and lighter P-47)

Those may be a little off I have to check other sources but they are both from the same book and do well enough to illustrate that there is a big weight difference between the P-47 and the Tempest.

The Tempest nor the Typhoon were ever overweight. They were heavier than the contemporary Spitfires but this was of some benefit and the extra engine horsepower made up for any shortcommings.

Philipscdrw
02-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I find I like to fly it with the pitch much lower than usual at low alt - 75% prop pitch, for example. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Tobus75
02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
My favorite plane in AoE. Pretty fun right now, all I've done is hot rod over NW Europe and shoot down a Pfeil
Spot on, I also flew Tyhpoon and Tempest like no others. I like the Typhoon even better, since I find the protruding 20mm barrels from the wing sooooo aggressive, together with the wide cooler under the cowling.

WOLFMondo
02-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

The Tempest nor the Typhoon were ever overweight. They were heavier than the contemporary Spitfires but this was of some benefit and the extra engine horsepower made up for any shortcommings.

I think there is a misconception the Tempest was a heavy plane or overweight. It was lighter than the P51D, around the same weight at the FW190D and tonnes lighter than the P47 and the Tempests Sabre, whatever the boost put out more HP then all these other planes.

Waldo.Pepper
02-13-2006, 06:53 AM
I think the weight misconception comes from its weight relative to earlier British planes. Like the Hurricane and earlier Spitfires.

Rattler68
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by P249:
Best book to read about the Temp is "Tempest Summer" by Roland Beaumont. Simply the best pilot to speak about the big Hawker fighter. One of the Tempests main advantages was its ability to CRUISE at such a high speed. While its top speed of 435mph approx wasn't as high as say the Spit XIV, while cruising it was almost at the combat speed of all the other fighters thanks to its 24 cylinder H section Sabre. It therefore didn't have to do much accelerating to reach its combat speed. It practically roamed over Northern Europe almost at will. My old man flew the Mk II (Centaurus) and Mk VI (Sabre). Loved them both but thought the Centaurus version was the smoother nicer aircraft to fly. He said the torque on take off was awesome which might explain why he nearly took the hanger roof off on his first solo!
Interesting footnote about its dogfighting ability was when the IAF took on some Temps with their Spit IX's. Experienced RAF pilots state that it was a bit of a **** up as to the actual circumstances of the ensuing combats but it was obvious that trying to dogfight the Temp VI's with more nimble Spits was one of the reasons why the Temps got hacked down, on two occasions! Notwithstanding the fact that the IAF Spit boys were more experienced and some of the Temps were being flown unarmed (unbeknown to their pilots!!)
You can get some interesting reading about this on these combats on the web.

Regards,
Tempest nut!!
It's actually "Beamont" (see my sig.), and yes, he's one of the best to read about the Tiffie and Tempest, because he was actually a Hawker development pilot seconded to the RAF. 609 Sqn.

AFJ_Locust
02-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Ive been flying this tempest around in Sv109 you can sisor fight FW but dont try to turn with 109's

I have had alot of success using bnz tactics in this ac, the guns & speed are very good

S^

VW-IceFire
02-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:
Ive been flying this tempest around in Sv109 you can sisor fight FW but dont try to turn with 109's

I have had alot of success using bnz tactics in this ac, the guns & speed are very good

S^
Glad your enjoying it! Glad we were able to get you on the right track...its a fun fighter to fly!