PDA

View Full Version : theatre of war

Matt812931993
06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
i was thinking about getting theatre of war, it is a ww2 ground combat simulater made by the same company as the il2 series.

Skunk_438RCAF
06-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Do you have to make a poll out of every topic you start?

bazzaah2
06-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd save your money till after it's been patched a few times - potential is there though.

mbfRoy
06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
I found the demo to be extremely frustrating and hard to beat, and I liked the graphics. That's as far as I can comment on it.

Xiolablu3
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Not played it but it looks good.

I believe Leitmotiv has played it a lot and loves it.

He would be the best person to ask about it.

leitmotiv
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Haven't played it enough to give a valid rec. Have played it enough to be crazy about it. I like it that you can fool around with the camera to give yourself the POV of a battalion or company commander standing on the ground or standing in a tank and command the battle with only as much info as he gets from his subordinates and as he sees from his POV. To me this forgives a lot. I like to fight with limited intelligence. I also like 1940 French stuff.

Divine-Wind
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
Of course he does.

FritzGryphon
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
To clarify, it is published by 1C in Russia. The game has nothing to do with the makers of IL-2.

Thank God for that. The demo is choppy, control and view system is hard to use, and it crashes a lot. I hope it gets fixed up to something playable.

bhunter2112
06-11-2007, 01:15 AM
They have a patch in the works and another campaign. I still have fun playing it as is. It has the potential to be very good when issues are adressed. The company seems involved. Some issues include making AT guns less visable, waypoints for vehicles, and LOS issues.

M_Gunz
06-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I hope that when I upgrade for SOW that TOW will also run well on that machine.
Until then, my current PC would not let me judge it at all.

If it is good running and subject of game I like, I support such effort as I am able.

Matt-whatever, is this the first thread you made so much on topic of this forum?
I'd set up a poll within this thread but I can't!

Manu-6S
06-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Graphic and animation are great, however I don't like the new system: I still prefer the Combat Mission series.

It's boring then you place your artillery obscured by the trees and they hit it...

bazzaah2
06-11-2007, 07:01 AM
check this video out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwa0sbOBI7A

jetsetsam
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I've been hooked on it since it came out.

I'm running it at max settings on an AMD Opteron 185/ATI X1900XT with no problems.

I read a lot of WWII ground war history and it really is interesting to read about the different equipment and see it in action. The missions and campaigns can be very exciting. It's got early equipment from France, Poland, Britain, Germany, etc., which usually doesn't get much coverage. The sounds of the rounds clanging off tanks is freaky and the sound of an incoming artillery barrage is enough to make you mess your pants!

If you're looking for a FPS in RTS format you'll be disappointed if you're used to running into the bullets. To win you have to go very slow, study the terrain, keep low and concentrate your firepower.

It is a bit stupid when you tell a half track to move down a road and yet it plows through all of the trees along the side of the road. And the infantry cannot yet go into buildings. Waypoints are coming in the patch. Multiplay seems kind of porked right now.

I wish it had a quick mission generator, just to monkey around with different equipment, and it would also be fun to be able to record actions for playback. Maybe in future patches.

9/10, with patching 10/10

Matt812931993
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
yes sir. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:

Matt812931993
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
nice results, thanks, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gifthis will definatatly help me make a decision.

Dance
06-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Loved the demo, been waiting for something like this since 'Close Combat 2' kicking *** with a JagdTiger again.

When the cash priority list drops back in my favour, I'm grabbing the game.

Runs fine with an XP4200+ Dual with an PCIE 6800GS

M_Gunz
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Manu-6S:
Graphic and animation are great, however I don't like the new system: I still prefer the Combat Mission series.

It's boring then you place your artillery obscured by the trees and they hit it...

Those pesky Forward Observers and Sound/Flash guys found your cannon, huh?

Manu-6S
06-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manu-6S:

Those pesky Forward Observers and Sound/Flash guys found your cannon, huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can be, but you know, in Combat mission if you placed your artillery in a "terrain with trees" they had difficulty to hit you... i tried 3 times with this game but they always hit me after 1-2 shots...

I wuold like it more if with turn system like CM series.

polak5
06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
ah i remember hearing about this game a while back. This looks 2 good to pass up, downloading demo now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif