PDA

View Full Version : Letters from Iwo Jima

Alloy007P
02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know if many of you have heard about it(It was just realesed) but it's a great movie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I just went to go see it today. Is about the battle for Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective.

leitmotiv
02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Brilliant film. Clint able to handle the complexity of the Japanese war in all its dimensions from the vicious, irrational fanatics who believed will alone could overcome the Americans, who committed atrocities against their enemies, and brutalized their own people, to the intelligent, honorable Japanese military men like Kuribayashi and Baron Nishi who performed their duty to their country against impossible odds. Caught between these two groups were the ordinary soldiers who paid the price for the unwinnable war. The film is a hit in Japan, and one Japanese viewer only wished it had been done by a Japanese. Such a contrast with the sentimentality and muddle-headedness of the maudlin Spielberg.

Esel1964
02-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Very cool,I've seen the ads and wondered if it was worth checking-it sounds like it would be.
Thanks all for the info.

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Truth to tell, it is the best American film I've seen since Eastwood's own UNFORGIVEN. Eastwood is the only American director who is able to deal with characters caught in a web of moral cross-purposes without taking an easy out through sentiment. It's fascinating the most heroic character in all of the films he has directed is a Japanese general. Clint seems to be getting better the older he gets---with most directors the arc is usually in the other direction. The film comes close to a tragic Kurosawa-directed Japanese history film.

fordfan25
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
if you like unforgiven you realy should check out openrange

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316356/

VMW1982
02-05-2007, 01:54 AM
I take it sounds better than flags of our fathers?

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 03:26 AM
I haven't seen FLAGS yet, but the critics are saying it is better than FLAGS.

Choctaw111
02-05-2007, 04:26 AM
My grandfather and I will probably go see that one together as well. He will be visiting my American Legion post next month to talk about his experience on IWO. Everyone is greatly looking forward to hearing him talk about it.

Blutarski2004
02-05-2007, 09:23 AM
If only Toshiro Mifune had still been alive to particpate in this film. He was a FABULOUS actor and a WW2 veteran of the Manchurian army.

And a salute to your granddad, Choctaw. My uncle had the same Iwo Jima timeshare dates, and my father was offshore on a tin can.

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Ken Watanabe was brilliant as Kuribayashi. So was Tsuyoshi Ihara as Baron Nishi. Casting was perfect.

SweetMonkeyLuv
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Letters was a great, great movie. Definitely a must-own when it comes out on DVD.

Flags of Our Fathers gets released on DVD tomorrow, by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I missed it when it was in the theaters.

badaboom.1
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by SweetMonkeyLuv:
Letters was a great, great movie. Definitely a must-own when it comes out on DVD.

Flags of Our Fathers gets released on DVD tomorrow, by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I missed it when it was in the theaters.

I also missed this in the theaters and I'm now eagerly awaiting it's release tomorrow,I'm just debating whether to buy or rent.
As a side note,Flags of Our Fathers is based on a book by the same name by author James Bradley who,s father was one of the Marines photoed raiseing the American flag on Iwo Jima,I'm reading another book by the author called "Flyboys" *[not the recent WW1 FILM]*
This book deals with Navy and Marine air crews being shot down and captured over Iwo Jima and Chichi Jima,it's a great read for anyone interested.

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I getting FLAGS from Amazon. Going to see LETTERS again---want to see it one more time on the big screen.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
WWII magazine has a Special issue about Iwo Jima and there's an interview with Clint Eastwood in it. While somewhat brief, it covers much of his interest, reasoning and desires to make the film and addresses some of the feelings expressed in other places and specifically addresses sentiments such as this quote from the internet: "...By making a film from the killers of 7,000 marines perspective, Dirty Harry dishonors them, WWII veterans, America and himself".

His response:
I'm not dishonoring anybody. I'm certainly not dishonoring the Americans by making Flags of Our Fathers. Neither of these movies is a propaganda picture. Letters From Iwo Jima happens to focus on guys who were smart enough to make a battle that American military planners thought would be over in four or five days take 36 days and cost our boys-our Marines-such a tremendous number of lives.

I'm gonna see it.

TB

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
It's nonsense to not want to know what was happening on the other side of the hill. Eastwood makes no apologies for the Japanese---in fact, he explores the fanaticism and intellectual errors which made their war effort all but futile against the U.S. The scene when Kuribayashi is dining with American Army officers in the '30's is crucial to understanding the film. When he was asked if he would fight Americans if his country were at war with them, he stated his interests were those of his country, and an American Army officer said that was the attitude of any military man.

The film is about duty to one's country---a rather dead notion in many quarters. Eastwood was brave to have made this film in many ways.

To me, the best scene in the film was when Kuribayashi and his HQ heard the Japanese schoolchildren on the mainland sing a song exhorting the soldiers on Iwo Jima to hold the island for Japan.

Blutarski2004
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
such as this quote from the internet: "...By making a film from the killers of 7,000 marines perspective, Dirty Harry dishonors them, WWII veterans, America and himself".

..... There's always at least one moronic fanatic in the crowd who can't see through the politics and propaganda of the historical moment. Perhaps this person ought to have a chat with the USMC veterans who recently joined with surviving Japanese veterans on Iwo Jima to consecrate a memorial site to the dead of both sides.

If we were to eternally despise all those nations who stood as our enemies over the centuries, we would today have very few friends indeed.

partic_3
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Gee, Clint is an impressive bloke. I mean, who would have guessed after the Dirty Harry movies, which are great btw, that he had such a great brain! It's not fair! At least he's getting on...

claypidgon
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I would post what I think of this movie but I would be banned for life...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

wifc-sixer
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
me to i think that it was politicolly correct bull http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

partic_3
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I doubt that. There is "politically correct" by which I mean "the West is really bad, man, and everyone else are little angels"... and then is intelligently critical of all cultures. Clint Eastward is a man capable of independant thought. He doesn't buy the propaganda bullsh*t that is all the mainstream media feeds us but rather wants to understand why people behave the way they do. The fact is that for all the disgusting behaviour of some (many?) of the Japanese soldiers during ww2 they were still human beings like the rest of us, not animals. So why did they behave like that? That is the point. I haven't seen the film, admittedly, but "politically correct" just doesn't ring true.

leitmotiv
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Did you see the film, wifc-sixer, or did you just read about it? I have zero tolerance for political correctness. I found none in this film.

BillyTheKid_22
02-05-2007, 08:41 PM
LOL!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif