PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or TFT screens?

EFileTahi-A
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Lets talk about the disavantes and advantages of each of this technologies...

Is it true that a plasma screen will need to be "fueled" every 4 years (depending the usage of course)?

blue_76
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
so far as i'm aware, you can't fuel a plasma tv, once the image starts to fade with time, you have no choice but to get rid of it. i could be wrong though, technologies change all the time. lcds tend to last longer but they have a handicap as well.. as their backlight ages they can change colors slightly, when that happens the white balance of the entire lcd will be affected. it is replaceable though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

KaleunFreddie
07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I have a TFT, which has a 'guaranteed' lifespan of 2 years. I expect to buy another in 2 years. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bucketlung
07-10-2006, 12:31 PM
No you don't recharge a plasma and the new ones have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years with normal usage. In fact I've noticed some have stopped listing the hour life because it isn't an issue anymore.

gazs_sub
07-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Interesting discussion topic. LCDs have definitely picked up in quality and dropped in prices and comparable to plasma over the past year or two. One of the original advantages of plasmas was the usually substantial viewing angle. LCD typically had a very limited viewing angle. Of course this may have been improved in more current models? I think what tends to be quite relevant is the brand, and quality of materials used. Samsung for example have grown to be an extremely large supplier of plasma panels, though arguably their parts are not of the quality of others such as Pioneer/Fujitsu.. Either way I would only look at these technologies with a 3-5 year warranty minimum. Ive heard many a horror story from jaggy lines, bars to simple dead pixels. And it gets expensive, post warranty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EFileTahi-A
07-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Very interesting folks. Thanks for the info.

But tell me, if you had to choose which would you pick a plasma TV or a TFT TV?.

gazs_sub
07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
A pleasure, EFile! I haven't posted round here for awhiles now, though always respected your Signature. Very nice indeed.

Now. Plasma vs TFT. What to buy? Hmm. Hard one. Lots of factors to consider.

1) Size. How big do you want? The biggest (realistically affordable plasmas)are around the 50inch and 66inch mark. In this size, plasmas win for cost/feature comparison. If your looking smaller than this, you may find a TFT lcd screen at a cheaper rate than its plasma counterpart. Up until the last 12months, most TFTs were of the small-medium range size often for PCs though there is quite a few larger sizes since available.

2) Do you want speakers on it? Some places may sell you the panel without speakers, which will drop the price again. If you have an audio setup/surround sound that will work well and dont want speakers, this could be economical.

3) Burn in. Original plasma displays (and SOME LCDs) sold over the past 3 years have been subject to "burn-in". You know the constant station logos displayed by each network? If a static image stays on-screen and a plasma panel is left on for hours or days on-end, it may be subject to screen "burning" which can leave a static image imprinted on the screen indefinitely. Most panels these days have technology to assist with this or encourage you to follow certain operation guidelines in the 1st months of use, but I would ask your retailer, or even better contact the manufacturer about any concerns on the model you decide. To be safe.

4) Do you want to hook it up to a PC? TFT lcd screens are typically better acquainted with computers, sometimes giving multiple VGA/DVI/SVIDEO/Hi-Def inputs for display. Its plausible that the output from a PC maybe slightly clearer on a TFT. Its debatable.
That said, a majority of Plasmas also allow for display inputs from a PC.....

5) Do you need a display stand, or u ok to Wall Mount? You can save again with some companies, if you don't require a display stand....

6) Do I want a High Definition plasma/lcd panel? Many panels support Hi-Def and/or just Standard. Up to you. If you want to view aired TV shows/movies that are formatted in High-Definition, or play XBOX360 in High-Def, then this is the way to go. There is no real difference in the viewing of standard DVD Movies between the two formats. You might just pick up a dirt cheap Standard defintion plasma screen somewhere!.

7) I hate to bad-mouth particular brands, though both LG and Samsung have recently acquired monstrous shares in the market. They produce plasma panels for themselves and many of the cheaper 3rd party plasma producers such as "Soniq" etc. Their output of panels is considerable, though I've heard that the quality of parts resulting from this demanding strategy have suffered. Make a choice, but I would probably steer clear of these brands. But thats opinion. Im sure theres thousands of fine cases.
Fujitsu, Pioneer and Panasonic are probably the top 3 I hold in highest regard. But then, they are typically the most expensive panel TVs to buy too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Ask your friendly TV Repair man. They may share some stories http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

8) Warranty - Whatever you get, pay the xtra to get the best warranty possible. 3-5yrs is good. Its worth it. If the panel dies just outside of a 2 year warranty, your looking at the cost of a new plasma to replace the screen at least....

9) In summary, it depends on what size you want. If I was buying 42inch-66inch, I would go Plasma no doubts. Generally they have a better "angle of view" and good clarity/cost ratio at that size. Ensure you get a decent warranty, get em to throw in the speakers if you need them. And consider your brand choice. Go in-store and look at each panel as comparison. Dont buy online or off ebay. You want to see that sucker in action.
If you want smaller and/or want to hook it up to a pc, maybe check out the LCDs. Theyre just as good with image production these days, and can be cheaper in the smaller size panels.

Hope this is of some help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EFileTahi-A
07-12-2006, 02:09 AM
I guess I collected all the info I needed to know.

Gaz, thanks for you top notch quality post!

gazs_sub
07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Pleasure mate!.

Glad to be of help.